2F vs OM617 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
79 cruiser I picked up has been diagnosed for a heart transplant. Gone through just about every thread I can about Holley sniper 2Fs and Om617 swaps.

Mainly looking for input on the OM617 and if anyone can give input on that vs an EFI 2F as I cant really seem to make a decision as to which route to go.

Those of you with the diesel swap happy with it? Goal is long term restoration but still capable of highway trips to camp etc.

Rig pics attached along with my other toyota, yes aware of the rear shackles.

DSC_1471.jpg

DSC_1473.jpg

DSC_1463.jpg

i’ve got an om617 going into my long build but it should be pretty sweet when it’s done. it’ll be more efficient and probably more powerful but it’s taken a lot of work. the 2f with sniper would likely be easier but i never liked my 2f much. it was never very strong and so very heavy. i loved my diesel when it was in my car which was 700lbs heavier than the fj40. it’s such a smooth motor and was just a joy to drive. it’s in the blue one now
7709241E-E263-45E2-BBAE-98746B031F6B.jpeg

i’ve got an om617 going into my long build but it should be pretty sweet when it’s done. it’ll be more efficient and probably more powerful but it’s taken a lot of work. the 2f with sniper would likely be easier but i never liked my 2f much. it was never very strong and so very heavy. i loved my diesel when it was in my car which was 700lbs heavier than the fj40. it’s such a smooth motor and was just a joy to drive. it’s in the blue one now
View attachment 2565983
the ability to add power has me leaning towards the om617, what about it has taken alot of work? other than making it look as good as yours does

the ability to add power has me leaning towards the om617, what about it has taken alot of work? other than making it look as good as yours does
It is not cheap or easy to add power to an OM617...great motor, but upgrading the injector pump is fairly pricey. Stock, a well tuned OM617 is adequate in an FJ40, but not much more.

a few other things to consider, an FJ40 with a factory motor will be worth much more if you ever plan on selling it. The Om617 will last longer, be more reliable, get nearly twice the mpgs and drive better on the street. Off road I prefer the low end torque of the F motors over the OM617.

Have you looked at a TDI? Cheap, easy power mods, and great mileage.

Have you looked at a TDI? Cheap, easy power mods, and great mileage.
Ive just started looking at those, certainly a new option. Are there any adapters being made? know ive seen godfathers swap with r151 but would like to avoid trans cost if possible

Ive just started looking at those, certainly a new option. Are there any adapters being made? know ive seen godfathers swap with r151 but would like to avoid trans cost if possible

I'm not really sure. I'm sure there are possibilities, but swapping in a 5 speed is a world of difference on the highway anyway. I'd really look at doing that if would are wanting this to be a long-distance capable rig.

i did a nv4500 behind mine. with the right gears i think this will be an awesome set up. i did rebuild the moto though so i can add boost. honesty an injection pump and turbo will significantly increase power and when compared to performance mods on even a chevy 350 it’s pretty cost effective. mine was about $1700 cad to put a custom pump and a bigger turbo on and will give me about 30% increase in power. the engine rebuild though wasn’t cheap. for about the same price you could put a new cummins in which will be a more modern engine. it all depends on how far you want to go with it. getting f it all to fit with the longer drive train and you’d need a spring over to clear the oil sump has been the work.

I’m putting an om617 into my 79 fj55. You might check into Doomsday Diesel for adapters and upgrades. I’ve been happy with his service and products. My adapter came from 4x4 labs since I’m using an H55F transmission. Doomsday has adapters for om617 and just added VW . I know bezel police, the 40 in background is upside down.

7135C7F0-61E9-4014-9A41-51A6C0E45E89.jpeg

The one OM-powered 40 I know of drives out well, but the owner says that it's just enough power. If he loads it with too much gear, then it struggles. I figure most 2Fs are somewhere in the middle to the end of their lives with power down proportionately from new. I certainly bashed 'em until I replaced my tired one with a fresh strong one...healthy ones are not as underpowered as many think.

There's no arguing for the 2F's fuel efficiency... it's always bad. I can see the benefit in diesel efficiency in a 40 as the tanks are so small that the diesel would let you keep up with the rest of the world without having to stop for fuel every 100 miles.

I'll just leave this right here...

If you’re considering going the om617 route, you should start with a factory turbo motor to start with. There are differences to consider, like piston oil nozzles for additional cooling. Your not gonna get TDI mileage out of a 617. Cast iron head and block, it’s probably similar in weight to the 2F. Newer (TDI) Diesel engines start better in the winter also.

My son and I installed an OM617 in his 3rd gen pickup a number of years ago. Since then I have decided against using that engine again. The injection system is overly complicated and it is very hard to make more power than they came with. I would choose a 3b or 2h toyota diesel if that fuel choice was the end goal. You can easily get more power from either of those engines than the mercedes. I've had a coupe of fuel injected 2f's with gm throttle body conversions and they run pretty good overall. Power is close to the same as a carb but way better on angles and steep climbs/descents.
I have a 3fe now in the rig that had a TBI setup before and I will say that it is a better way to go.

honestly a new cummins that has been 40 fitted and done many times recently would be very attractive if i was to be starting this project today. it’s not maybe as unique now but the cummins wasn’t available when i started. dollar for dollar to have my “new” fully rebuild mercedes vs the cummins i’d be in the same ballpark. the new diesels have a little more potential to make good power but with the injection pump i have i should 200+hp which is plenty. the engine while heavy is still much lighter that the 2F and i’ll still get pretty killer mpg compared to the gas.

i still like the feel of this engines power band. it’s smooth, it’s all mechanical and really not too complicated and has some of the amazing mercedes engineering the older cars were known for. it can be a rabbit hole though as any engine swap can be!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom