At long last, new to me FZJ75 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the longest time I've been watching this forum with the hope that one day I'd have a reason to actually jump in, and at long last, it happened!

Bit of back story, ever since before I bought my 80-series I was in love with the idea of getting a troopy but the unfortunate reality of living in beautiful Southern California is the good friends at CARB do not want to be part of that game without some expensive swaps. Now in the last few months, a few interesting things happened and with family moving to other states with some friendlier rules I began to see a few ways to get one of these things registered and good to go. Then with the always helpful Fit Garage (thanks @Willis) reposting a 94 FZJ75 for sale in Texas, it all started to line up! Many phone calls, way too much internet searching, a trip to the bank, all the anxiety of unknown car purchases, and one quickly scheduled flight later I was meeting a troopy for the first time in person, so I promptly bought it.

Now funnily enough I actually bought my 80 from @cruiserdan at the Heritage museum (it's been perfect, so thanks again for that Dan), also sight unseen. So the whole buy a Land Cruiser having no idea what you're getting into and proceed to drive it across the U.S. seemed not too daunting being round 2 (especially since this one had much newer tires!) Nevertheless, the first 3 hours in the dark with lots of wind and hilariously out of position headlights definitely had me a bit on edge. After a good night's sleep though we were back on the road in some light and the background noises of the troopy started to all make sense. Made pretty good time from McAllen back to SoCal with a beautiful stop in White Sands as a detour. I did have a laugh at the fact that the weather was totally nuts on the way back with all kinds of rain, massive winds, and some decent hail but none of it slowed us down. After all that was done, I am the way too excited owner of this troopy, its everything you could hope for and more.

So fun first adventure aside, a few questions that resulted:

1) Rainstorms plus many hours in the car were quite helpful to find all the leaks. The lower right corner of the windshield has the slightest trickle, it makes sense to me to have the windshield fully pulled and resealed (check for any cancer) but I found some posts talking about just slamming some sealant in there, this seems like it'd work but not the best solution, is my inkling correct and I should just redo the whole thing?
2) Apart from water, the wind showed that the door seals need a bit of a hand. Is this something I should be being OEM weather stripping or just an aftermarket kit?
3) More random but I get a ridiculous howl (sounds like a giant blowing across the top of a coke bottle) when in serious side winds, anyone dealt with this? Not sure if something is not sealed right or I'm missing something. Almost sounds like it's coming from the fuel door? Haven't been able to pinpoint it.
4) Speaking of the fuel door, I was getting some excess pressure in the fuel tank after long stretches. As I undid the cap a pretty decent hiss for 3-5 seconds as all the pressure releases. I know for the 80s this is typically your charcoal canister is toast, but I do not see said canister (I could very likely be missing something, or am just stupid). Has anyone dealt with this? It seems to me like the 1FZ is a bit less common of a setup around here.
5) The locks and ignition cylinder are toast, so I want to replace all of it. I saw in @WarDamnEagle 's thread it was 69005-6B493 for the set but that's a truck, not a troopy so I know that's not right. I am trying to understand partsouq but is 69005-60401 what I am looking for? (or again I could very likely be missing something, or am just stupid)
6) Sound-deadening seems like a must for these trucks (though really I thought it'd be worse). Any strong opinions on the method? The sprays seem neat, but also there is a host of well-reviewed amazon products that may be time intensive but seem well-liked. If you were doing it again, what would you do wise sages?

Well, that's enough questions for now, here are some glamour shots, expect many more questions and some shots of details I'm trying to figure out. Please call out if something seems off! Thanks all.

TroopyTrip-4.jpg
TroopyTrip-10.jpg
TroopyTrip-21.jpg
TroopyTrip-7.jpg
TroopyTrip-3.jpg

nice Troopy,

for part numbers, sign up on toyodiy.com will give you numbers for your vehicle to reference once you put in make/model/year/ vin plate info.

also, partsouq, megazip, cuiseroutfitters/teq, etc. all will have parts/pices needed

I used Dyanmat from Crutchfield to cut down nose substantially in vehicle, tub is lined, but just a truck, not a full Troopy like yours. pics in history of the sound deadening.

I have an 80 that leaks as well, if truck came from GCC, gasket probably not installed correctly and may need sealant.

grats on the truck..

5) The locks and ignition cylinder are toast, so I want to replace all of it. I saw in @WarDamnEagle 's thread it was 69005-6B493 for the set but that's a truck, not a troopy so I know that's not right. I am trying to understand partsouq but is 69005-60401 what I am looking for? (or again I could very likely be missing something, or am just stupid)

Congrats on the Troopy! Very nice. When I look up that number in ToyoDIY I get pickups only. Need the VIN or at least the full model number and year.

nice Troopy,

for part numbers, sign up on toyodiy.com will give you numbers for your vehicle to reference once you put in make/model/year/ vin plate info.

also, partsouq, megazip, cuiseroutfitters/teq, etc. all will have parts/pices needed

I used Dyanmat from Crutchfield to cut down nose substantially in vehicle, tub is lined, but just a truck, not a full Troopy like yours. pics in history of the sound deadening.

I have an 80 that leaks as well, if truck came from GCC, gasket probably not installed correctly and may need sealant.

grats on the truck..

Perfect, I will log into that one and check it out! Good to know on the deadening and sealant. Don't think its lived a wet life but better safe than sorry so I'll probably just have the whole windshield pulled to check it out.

Congrats on the Troopy! Very nice. When I look up that number in ToyoDIY I get pickups only. Need the VIN or at least the full model number and year.

Ok that's what I was thinking! VIN is FZJ75-0021036, model on the tag shows FZJ75LV-MRU, year is 1994.

Congrats on the new vehicle @71harrison . I too was looking at this vehicle and glad it got picked up by a forum member.

Enjoy, and look forward to your future posts.

Thank you! Couldn't be more excited about it.

Cut and paste from ToyoDIY:

69503CYLINDER SET, LOCK
69005-60721-C0W(GLOVE BOX W/KEY & *FST), BLACK, TRIM1*, 4*1$381.16
69005-60741-C0W(GLOVE BOX W/KEY), BLACK, TRIM1*, 4*1$313.50
69005-60751W(*FST)1$284.00
69005-607711$219.78

Looking on Partsouq it looks like the ignition cylinder and at least one of the doors is available: PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World - https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/unit?c=Toyota&ssd=%24%2AKwHt2cjMka2VqICHnZ3JzbWhgYaY6ebr6vjm1KT8rfrl_IP5qqr3_eTqpaGrsL_G87a8t7365e31-eDh8P3k--7o6Oz5qqr9sfzj-unp4e20vNX9o6eutrqZoKTh4P3k-56Nn5SepKS2tq374v2Yg5GxvaTv7Ojo7Oj796Tr9_3k--_n7-rotqq4_bO6-uX8n4HMv6GTiPSVjYv796Tu_bv84-zqowAAAABAJd4a%24&vid=0&cid=3&uid=331920&q=FZJ75-0021036

Just go to partsouq.com, put in your VIN and look under "body". Or be lazy like me and just click on the link.

Make sure you use a glass guy for the windshield who seals the gasket in right. Many are lazy these days and don’t do the pinch weld gaskets right.

Your roof is probably flopping in the wind, look at the cross bars and everything up there inside the roof.

Weatherstripping on a Troopy is cheap compared to say an 80, there is way less of it! 😂

Also @Japan4X4 is an excellent resource, small time compared to all the big dogs but when you can’t find it anywhere else, Dave is the man.

Cheers

4) Speaking of the fuel door, I was getting some excess pressure in the fuel tank after long stretches. As I undid the cap a pretty decent hiss for 3-5 seconds as all the pressure releases. I know for the 80s this is typically your charcoal canister is toast, but I do not see said canister (I could very likely be missing something, or am just stupid). Has anyone dealt with this? It seems to me like the 1FZ is a bit less common of a setup around here.

6) Sound-deadening seems like a must for these trucks (though really I thought it'd be worse). Any strong opinions on the method? The sprays seem neat, but also there is a host of well-reviewed amazon products that may be time intensive but seem well-liked. If you were doing it again, what would you do wise sages?

Well, that's enough questions for now, here are some glamour shots, expect many more questions and some shots of details I'm trying to figure out. Please call out if something seems off! Thanks all.

Hello,

Quite likely your 75 Series has the carbureted 1FZ-F engine. The fuel tank's filler neck is different from the one used for the 1FZ-FE engine, and accumulates some pressure as level decreases. Opening the cap releases this pressure build up. Make sure you open the cap slowly.

I am not sure whether the charcoal canister is on the frame rails or in the engine bay. I have to check.

Regarding sound deadening, others here may digress on this. Compared to its diesel counterparts, the 1FZ engine is quieter and does not have their ticking. A simple solution like using Dynamat (not sure about the spelling) is good enough. Keep in mind that the Troopie's inner space amplifies any noise -and it is hard to heat up or cool down, but that is another story.

Juan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom