F Motor Question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Full flow typically means coming straight out of the oil pump at full pressure. This is usually what goes to the engine itself.

I would assume that the forced feed is the lower pressure feed to the oil filter. From what I see, the oil filter is a by-pass system which takes only a portion of the oil at a time (by lowering the pressure) versus todays newer engines which take full flow through the oil filter.

Archie 1962 FJ25 said:
In a F motor:-

What is a forced feed oil system?
what is a full flow oil system?

Force feed means the oil is being pumped by an old pump. Some old engines did not have a pump and the oil was just splashed around:eek:

Full flow means all the oil goes thru the oil filter first than to the engine. The 1974 F engine is the only F engine to be full flow. All F engines before that the oil lines split out of the pump part going to the filter than back to the oil pan and the other part flowing thru the engine. The 74 F engines has more in common with the 2F than it does with the earlier F engines.

John

And .................. if I recall, if the pressure rises the regulator dumps any excess flow right back into the pan.......so the early F is really partial-part flow filtration. :D

Excellent article on the early filtration systems in Vintage Truck last month............basically in a collector vehicle with little to no use the filter in a partial flow system doesn't do much, if anything at all, with a yearly oil change.

So which one is better system? :confused: Is it a good idea to go for a 1974 F motor?

Force feed means the oil is being pumped by an old pump. Some old engines did not have a pump and the oil was just splashed around:eek:

Full flow means all the oil goes thru the oil filter first than to the engine. The 1974 F engine is the only F engine to be full flow. All F engines before that the oil lines split out of the pump part going to the filter than back to the oil pan and the other part flowing thru the engine. The 74 F engines has more in common with the 2F than it does with the earlier F engines.

John

X2 on the 74 F engine. That's only if you don't have the original engine to work with.

John

Here in New Zealand, its dificult to buy motor by year. so how you indentify the 1974 motor by looking at it. I have seen some F motor that have the oil filter mounted remotely on the side of the manifold and on some oil filter mounted on the side of the block.

which one would be 1974 F motor?

Cheers
Archie

The late F engine will have an engine number that starts "F" and has the oil filter mounted on the lower right side like a 2F...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom