Intro Thread for a project BJ42, based in Ontario Canada. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

My name is Gabriel. My Girlfriend and I purchased a 1984 BJ42 recently looking to at first have a nice classic toyota project vehicle, then hopfully have a killer durable family vehicle when we have children.
1610747065766.png

this is the beast in her glory, we dont have her currently, the property she is in, is snowed in and towing will be impossible, so spring will be the name of the game for the start. Until then I plan on being as prepared to work on it as I can.

To start, I am no stranger to working on vehicles, I have a 2002 tacoma which is my pride and joy, its a prerunner 4x4 and a dirt devil at that so i feel absoluty confident on being able to get this little ute to prime condition though im sure there is a fair share of knowlidge on how to work on it that i wont know, thus I came here to learn.

I would love if someone could point me in the right direction of a couple good restoration and rebuild threads, (I ask because it would save me time, and get me in contact with the users here and talk, which I hope you dont mind).

20200509_180456_404670979723076(2).jpg

@crushers have some very good bj42 build threads

This build is also very nice

Last edited:
@crushers have some very good bj42 build threads

This build is also very nice
Yes Crushers is the man. He is in Ontario also. His Instagram is good to
He just did a full custom fiberglass build that was amazing
West coast Canada for me. Cheers good luck with your build.

that thread has a ton of good info

I'm amazed by the absolute community here for ontario, I honestly expected there to be alot less 40s left in ontario. I've been going through the linked threads posted, and boy do I have waves of absolute dread of the build but dumb perseverance always wins. Nothing worth while is ever easy anyway. Well Its still snowing where I'm at, which isn't Toronto (the user name is just my tacomaworld handle) and the guy I bought the truck off of is about an hour and a half north of me so I'm not getting it for atleast a couple months. It's really been edging me because it's such a classic truck.

I've been told that I should be ready to change all my fluids asap after getting it and glow plugs too, I'm just wondering what would be some of the first things to tackle? It will have to be a frame off resto I know the frame is rotten around 8" from the rear bumper on both sides and the tubs body mounts alongside mounts are rusted out, my girlfriend and I both weld so I'm not worried, hell we will make our own patches. Hell, she's blacksmith so she has no excuse not to help.

For the truck here is the good, bad and the ugly. The absolute lad I bought it off of installed a 5 speed transmission and powered steering and has replaced every major component with rust problems but the tub, he offered me another prestene tub but for 4g extra. The bad is that the guy he bought it off ran ot till it was empty and let it sit for 8 years. So I generally dont know exactly what I'm getting into but I know it was his project till his wife got pregnant so his gain is my gain

I would just patch it up and drive it for awhile before u go for the full restoration. My buddy was a Tacoma 4 runnner guy forever .
He picked up a beater BJ42 for cheap out In BC and fell in love with cruisers and sold his Tacoma and 4Runner ,picked up a FZJ80. He has converted. Lol.
Oh maybe not fully he just bought a 2020 tundra also . Lol.
His BJ42 needs a lot of love too pretty beat. He replaced quarter panels painted it with a paint brush and did a SOA. And loves to just drive it to death. Can’t wait to see your progress in the summer.

My buds $500 Canadian dollar BJ42 behind my cruiser the day he bought it and a few months later with a spring over and paintbrush paint job. I recommend fixing yours up and driving it for a while before You blow it all apart and restore it. 33x10.5x15. I’m jealous he found this for $500 bucks.

0A31A85B-53CA-4D13-8AA5-2176024C8FDE.jpeg

123C6868-B876-4C04-B92E-711F89BBFC46.jpeg

110B5167-877B-47B4-8939-C2AD0043A735.jpeg

The good the bad and the ugly lol....

Realistically you'll need to get the frame cleaned up to pass safety; which will probably mean tub coming off to do it properly.

I dont remember how far bad the rot was but I know you can buy some replacement frame sections to weld in.

The tub you'll have to see in person what needs work....cant help you on advice there. Replacement tubs can be found if needed.

It all depends on how much time and money you want to invest....and how far down the rabbit hole you go looking for work.

There's a legendary dude in Maple, Ontario who daily drives his BJ40 in all weather. He works at the Maple Town Hall (I see his truck in the parking lot every day from the train) and spoke to him once in the parking lot at Longo's. I wonder if he's here or can be contacted, his rig is reliable, looks great and is used every day.

j

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom