New member intro / purchase advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, been lurking on the forum for a long time now, and I'm finally in a position to pull the trigger on a new LC/LX so I made an account to seek some advice.

Brief intro before the meat of the question. I live in St. Louis, MO and I have an '01 Tundra that I 've owned since '03 that I absolutely love and was the vehicle that kickstarted my relationship with Toyotas. Unfortunately, it's only a 2wd access cab and with a wife, two kids, and a dog it's getting pretty cramped if I have to drive anyone other than myself. Logically, I figured a 100 series would be the next best option, as I'm already quite familiar with the robustness of the 4.7L and love the driving dynamics of these trucks. I also don't really need the pickup bed (Tundra is staying in the family, so two trucks is just redundant) and all the Sequoias I've looked at are pretty clapped out and abused. I'd like to do more camping/offroading/overlanding around Missouri and possibly do a road trip out to the "real" mountains in the next few years with whatever rig I've got, so I'm looking for a long term investment.

But enough about me, lets look at a potential acquisition target.

This just popped up at a dealer nearby. It's a '99 LC with 196k on the odo, and the truck looks like it's had a bit of a past. According to the Carfax, it's spent most of it's life in CO, and is only in St. Louis because the previous owner (who owned it for around 13 years) was driving it back home to Telluride from Connecticut, when it started making a noise from the front end somewhere in IL. He found the dealer in St. Louis, who had a '16 LC on the lot and instead of fixing the noise the guy just said "F it", I'm getting a 200. Dealer diagnosed it as a worn CV joint/axle which they're replacing. Asking price is 13k, including the axle service.

The Good:
Frame doesn't look too rusty (although I'm welcome to feedback in case I've missed something)
Interior is in good shape, with only a seam rip on the drivers seat, and some carpet stains in the cargo area
Engine starts right up and sounds good
Has a 2in lift installed (I'm assuming from the yellow shocks that it's OME) with newer BFG KO2's
Has had some of the common problems addressed within the last 60k miles (fuse block replaced, brake master replaced, cooling clutch fan, AC system serviced)

The Meh:
No factory rear diff lock
Antenna motor needs to be replaced
No third row seats
Paint is OK with some scaping on the bumpers/faded trim
Interior trim is fading
Wheel hubs are missing some of the toyota logos

The Bad:
No record of a timing belt/water pump service (I don't have a complete history, but nothing in the Carfax or under hood indications of it ever being done)
Body damage to the front drivers side quarter panel, that has been partially repaired, but now has a rust spot. where the bumper and the panel meet.

I guess the question is, is 13k too high? What if I can get them to do a timing belt/water pump service while they're replacing the axle? All I have to go on for pricing is online auctions, where $15-$20k is now the new normal, so to my brain this seems like a good deal, but I still want to make sure.

Thanks in advance guys!

IMG_2238[1].JPG

IMG_2236[1].JPG

IMG_2227[1].JPG

IMG_2228[1].JPG

Sounds high to me. Main positive is brake master replacement. Sounds a little bit rough in and out. I'd be thinking more 8k rather than 13k if I was buying. But I admit I am not up to date on recent pricing changes.

I guess the question is, is 13k too high? What if I can get them to do a timing belt/water pump service while they're replacing the axle? All I have to go on for pricing is online auctions, where $15-$20k is now the new normal, so to my brain this seems like a good deal, but I still want to make sure.
If you are asking us if the market has gone retarded .... yes, it has.

Pass, its way too expensive for what it is. I agree it's an $8k, maybe $9k truck at the most. For that money it should be rust free, locker, lots of mods and no maintenance due.

This does all depend on how value minded you are, and how much you enjoy the hunt. Read through the classifieds here. What Craigslist, FB, Autotrader, carguru, etc ,etc, and it won't take you a month or two to get a good feel for the market. The risk is you "might" miss out on something of value early, the reward is you most likely won't get taken to the cleaners. There are lots of guys here that love the hobby, and would be happy to help you look at something when you're ready to pull the trigger. It sounds like you've already got some feel for what is good and bad, so that's good.

I think you should be able to get a rust free 1998-2002 with good maintenance (but needing some "baselining"), 200-250k miles and no major mods for $9-11k, and you wouldn't need to go further than OK or AR to do it.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Have you run the VIN to get the service history?
2nd tbelt should have been done at 90k.
13k after they do the repair or plus the repair?
Thanks for the toyota link @yngmrostrvile , I didn't realize they did service history by vin. Unfortunately no record of a timing belt being done there either. :confused: Right now it's 13k with just the axle work, I'm hoping I can get the timing belt service included as well for 13k. We'll see how willing the dealer is to work with me, or how bored their service department is.

Sounds high to me. Main positive is brake master replacement. Sounds a little bit rough in and out. I'd be thinking more 8k rather than 13k if I was buying. But I admit I am not up to date on recent pricing changes.
I agree, 13k is more that I'd like to spend, especially if I'll have to put more in it right away. Although 8k would be a steal these days it would seem

If you are asking us if the market has gone retarded .... yes, it has.
:rofl: the market certainly is different than what I'd hoped. I was hoping there would still be some good 100's below 10k, but I'm starting to think that may not be the case.

Pass, its way too expensive for what it is. I agree it's an $8k, maybe $9k truck at the most. For that money it should be rust free, locker, lots of mods and no maintenance due.

This does all depend on how value minded you are, and how much you enjoy the hunt. Read through the classifieds here. What Craigslist, FB, Autotrader, carguru, etc ,etc, and it won't take you a month or two to get a good feel for the market. The risk is you "might" miss out on something of value early, the reward is you most likely won't get taken to the cleaners. There are lots of guys here that love the hobby, and would be happy to help you look at something when you're ready to pull the trigger. It sounds like you've already got some feel for what is good and bad, so that's good.

I think you should be able to get a rust free 1998-2002 with good maintenance (but needing some "baselining"), 200-250k miles and no major mods for $9-11k, and you wouldn't need to go further than OK or AR to do it.

Thanks @Bisho, this is good advice. With a hot market like this it's hard not to get caught up in it, so it's nice to have some grounding and a set of reasonable expectations.

Another thing to keep in mind re: market conditions is that petrol prices will probably increase, and with the glut of upcoming electric vehicle platforms, some folks may lose interest in the Hundys. As folks sample the Hundys and decide it is not the right fit for them, less customers will be hunting for vehicles.

Don't get me wrong, as a Hundy owner I'm elated to see market prices at current levels, but I think reality will set in and renormalize things in due course.

It's not like the Hundy is the last air-cooled generation or anything equivalent in the LC/LX history.

Another thing to keep in mind re: market conditions is that petrol prices will probably increase, and with the glut of upcoming electric vehicle platforms, some folks may lose interest in the Hundys. As folks sample the Hundys and decide it is not the right fit for them, less customers will be hunting for vehicles.

Don't get me wrong, as a Hundy owner I'm elated to see market prices at current levels, but I think reality will set in and renormalize things in due course.

It's not like the Hundy is the last air-cooled generation or anything equivalent in the LC/LX history.
Good call, fuel prices will definitely effect the prices. I've been enjoying them while they last, but nothing good lasts forever.

Also good observation about the 100's "future classic" status. It will be a great truck, but it won't be as special as the 40/60/80 in later years. But that almost makes me want one more, even if it won't shoot wildly up in value in 10 years.

If you want a good pulse on the Land Cruiser market in STL or if you want to see if that ‘99 is a good option go see Brad at MT Schiele in Crestwood. Great Land Cruiser specialty shop and he owns a 100 series himself and he will provide good insight on all things 100 series. FYI

If you want a good pulse on the Land Cruiser market in STL or if you want to see if that ‘99 is a good option go see Brad at MT Schiele in Crestwood. Great Land Cruiser specialty shop and he owns a 100 series himself and he will provide good insight on all things 100 series. FYI
That's fantastic, I live a few minutes away from Crestwood! Thanks @Jack Lee! I thought they only did diff's, but good to know they do auto service at the crestwood store.

Do you still have the hundo in your profile pic? If so, how's it been holding up?

Keep the Tundra. I miss my 1st gen regularly.

You'll get 90% of the places the bros go with their overpriced, over laden "overlanders" and can go a lot further than they'll ever get with a pair of hiking boots and a backpack. It's all just hype.

Also good observation about the 100's "future classic" status. It will be a great truck, but it won't be as special as the 40/60/80 in later years.
Totally disagree with that. I bet no one thought 80s music would be so crazy cool and popular 40 years later either but here we are.

Totally disagree with that. I bet no one thought 80s music would be so crazy cool and popular 40 years later either but here we are.
But that is because some 80s music is ACTUALLY GOOD.

I mean, who doesn't belt out the lyrics to Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me when it plays?

80’s music is good because the musicians are actually experts at playing instruments and singing. 80s on 8

My kids friends in high school all thought my Cruisers and music were cool.

That's fantastic, I live a few minutes away from Crestwood! Thanks @Jack Lee! I thought they only did diff's, but good to know they do auto service at the crestwood store.

Do you still have the hundo in your profile pic? If so, how's it been holding up?
Yes sir. Overall the truck has been great! It has been in the family since '09. In 2015 I did have to replace the engine due to a spark plug getting into the engine. My 2000 has 200000 miles on the truck and 150000 miles on a rebuilt engine. As with all trucks that reach 200000 miles on it and that are 21 years old things will fail. I am trying to become handy with the truck but it is always good to have a great mechanic that knows these trucks inside and out. I personally would try to find the best example you can that fits your budget. I saw that 100 series pop up on cargurus over the weekend. It looks to be in pretty good shape. 13K sounds a little high in our market. That 10K-11K range seems like a better fit. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have quesions about LC ownership.

80’s music is good because the musicians are actually experts at playing instruments and singing
Correct. Milli Vanilli was excellent ;)

FWIW, I still think their remix album is an unknown gem

😂

I know a lot of people on this forum think anything above $9k is outrageous for nothing but a pristine cruiser but the market has changed since they bought their 100. Honestly, if you tell him you'll give him $8k, he's gonna tell you to go kick rocks. Someone else will show up and happily buy it for around $13k in this market. I haven't seen a single 100 series under 10k and I have a nationwide search set up on a couple sites. I don't have a search set up for craigslist or autotrader and sometimes there are some cheap ones on there. I will get lots of flak for that comment, but I wanted to share my opinion after being in the market in the past year and a half. That being said, I still think you can bring that price down a bit.

From that one photo, the rust is minimal, but I'd be interested to see what the front suspension components and rear frame look like to really gauge the rust. I've found that area of the truck doesn't rust as bad since its far from the wheels.

CVs probably gave it up because of the lift. I wonder what else is affected by the lift and the worn CVs. It would probably be great to take it on the highway but that might be hard. I would bring up the lack of a timing belt job and work on the price. And since there is no record of timing belt, I wonder what else hasn't been serviced? Check the color of the coolant - that'll tell you what kind of owner it was.

Good luck! And I'll tell you what everyone says on this forum: be patient. Well, at least try to be patient.

Keep the Tundra. I miss my 1st gen regularly.

You'll get 90% of the places the bros go with their overpriced, over laden "overlanders" and can go a lot further than they'll ever get with a pair of hiking boots and a backpack. It's all just hype.
Oh I'm definitely keeping the Tundra, I'll never part with that. And it's definitely proved that it can keep up pretty well as long as it's got a decent set of tires and the owner doesn't try anything too stupid :D

This one is a decent deal if not rusty...
Thanks @KliersLC , I'll shoot them a text. Even if it's a total rust bucket, it's a good excuse for a weekend trip to the lake!

But that is because some 80s music is ACTUALLY GOOD.

I mean, who doesn't belt out the lyrics to Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me when it plays?
This definitely is me, but I sing a long to most everything. It's the bane of my children's existence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom