What electronic component mounts under the ECU? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

garfieldthecat

SILVER Star
Threads
Can anyone please tell me what electronic component should be mounted under the ECU? The truck is a 1982 FJ60. I was confirming the extent of smog parts I need and in checking for the ECU I noticed that there is a loose connector hanging beneath it.

Is it a vital piece to the truck's functioning? My truck runs without it. I have tried looking up what the component might be in the FSM and in various threads on wiring here in the 60 series forum but its still a mystery to me. If anyone has a photo of the component (and part number?) and how it looks in their 60, could you please post it to enlighten me?

Thank you all for reading my question.

Empty Plug.JPG

That's the emissions computer. Your engine doesn't use an ECU. Engine can run ok without connecting the emissions computer but the emissions components will cease working correctly

Thank you OSS. Forgive my ignorance, but I'm still a bit confused. The black box connected to the wiring harness that is there now, which I circled in yellow, says "Emission Cont" NippenDenso P/N# 89550-60130. I thought this was the emissions computer?

Is there a separate emissions computer that is supposed to be mounted beneath the black box "Emission Cont" NippenDenso P/N# 89550-60130 on the empty mounting bracket with the dangling wire connector next to it (circled in red)? If I were to want to restore the smog system for the truck, then I would need that part as well? Do you happen to know a part number for the computer?

Thank you!

Empty Plug 2.PNG

Someone else who can look at their truck can chime in- but I think that's an orphan plug that wasn't used on USA FJ60s. There's several instances of unused orphan plugs in the wiring harness. Not sure if that's one too. I don't recall there being another black box under the emissions computer- but maybe...

Thank you. Orphan plug makes sense. I hope someone has a photo of their untampered-with FJ60 they can post. Which sources are best for seeing the complete components or schematic of an FJ60's factory wiring?

Ah, I see! Wow, thank you so much for these clarifications. My truck doesn't have the headlamp cleaners, so makes sense that it would be an orphan plug like OSS said. I appreciate everyone's time in helping me solve this mystery.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom