LX 470/ 100 Series stock ride height (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title says, I'm trying to find out the stock ride height of the 100 series. My lx has the ahc deleted and I'm trying to figure out if I'm sitting on a lifted suspension or stock. I'm guessing the Toyota owners will be more helpful as the lx with AHC doesn't really have a stock height I wouldn't say since its adjustable. Also what I'm looking for would be the measurement from the top of the rear wheel well to the center of the rear hub, front measurement wouldn't hurt too but since we can adjust torsion bars there may be some differences there.

Thanks for any input!

As the title says, I'm trying to find out the stock ride height of the 100 series. My lx has the ahc deleted and I'm trying to figure out if I'm sitting on a lifted suspension or stock. I'm guessing the Toyota owners will be more helpful as the lx with AHC doesn't really have a stock height I wouldn't say since its adjustable. Also what I'm looking for would be the measurement from the top of the rear wheel well to the center of the rear hub, front measurement wouldn't hurt too but since we can adjust torsion bars there may be some differences there.

Thanks for any input!

I don’t have a direct answer to your question concerning stock ride height of LC100. There will be three answers, one for “100 series” with Independent Front Suspension (no AHC), another answer for “100 series” with Independent Front Suspension (with AHC) and a third answer for “105” series with Rigid Axle Front Suspension (no AHC) – all stock off the shop floor at tare weight without passengers, load, nor any accessories nor after-market fittings.

As you have an LX470 with AHC deleted but with standard Independent Front Suspension, may I suggest a different approach?

Firstly, it is worthwhile to understand the measurements provided by Toyota for the LC100 variants. Go to the Factory Service Manual (FSM) at
https://lc100e.github.io/manual/
Then at the index panel on the left hand side of the opening page, follow these tabs:
Repair Manual > SUSPENSION AND AXLE > FRONT WHEEL ALIGNMENT (Independent Front Suspension > INSPECTION

The first page at this reference reveals Toyota diagrams and dimensions for both FRONT and REAR of the vehicles with various engines in various markets (USA is included in “General”) and with and without AHC. It is done this way because, technically, front end wheel alignment cannot be done correctly unless the rear geometry also is correct. Note that the dimensions given for “with AHC” are universal in all markets.

Perhaps different to your understanding, the LX470 does have a “stock height”. These are the same dimensions as given at this reference for the LC100 with IFS and "with AHC" because the frames are the same. The dimensions are measured when the AHC height is selected at “N” on the console switch and the vehicle is settled at that position. (It is not relevant to your question, but this “height” is quite important to AHC Owners because all AHC diagnostics and adjustments – such as cross-levelling, height settings, neutral pressures, etc, etc – must be measured at this position).

All these dimensions are very fiddly to check under the vehicle body. For that reason and to sidestep issues with non-standard tyre sizes, in relation to LC100 and LX470 (both with AHC) IH8MUD members have adopted hub-to-fender measurements of standard 'operating heights' of
Front: 19.75 inches (or 500 millimetres), and,
Rear: 20.50 inches (or 520 millimetres)

with AHC height setting at “N”, measured with vehicle on a level surface with engine running and AHC operational. These dimensions have been found to be an easy-to-measure good approximation to the FSM specifications. (Modified 'lifted' vehicles will be different).

AHC Owners also are aware of the potential higher and lower height selections they can make subject to prescribed speed and load limits:

AHC Selectable Height Variations.jpg

So in the case of your LX470 with AHC deleted, may I suggest that you check your Front and Rear hub-to-fender measurements and compare them with
  • the hub-to-fender measurements for LX470 with AHC operating at “N” height setting as described above, and,
  • the greater hub-to-fender measurements which would be standard on an LX470 with AHC operating and with “HI” height selected.

This should give you some idea of what has been done to your vehicle when AHC was deleted. You also may be able to see brands or numbers or markings on the shock absorbers, rear springs and front torsion bars which probably were replaced when AHC was deleted – and these may provide some clues.

It would be unsurprising to find that suspension replacement items installed when AHC was deleted have resulted in a ‘lift’ of around 2 inches or 50 millimetres (or possibly more), compared to the “stock” hub-to-fender measurements given above at “N” height. Depending on your actual front hub-to-fender measurements, it may be worthwhile to explore IH8MUD or obtain advice on whether a front 'diff drop' is prudent, if not already done, to reduce axle angles and better protect front CV joints from excessive stress and wear.

Hope this helps ....

Last edited:
Did you get oem gear (shocks coils and tb’s). If so when the Tb is set accurately For correct droop you will
Be at factory height, if you bought aftermarket coils odds are you will be higher (based on empty load)

the lx with AHC doesn't really have a stock height I wouldn't say since its adjustable.
Um, okay? I'd venture that Mr. T engineers would disagree.

I don’t have a direct answer to your question concerning stock ride height of LC100. There will be three answers, one for “100 series” with Independent Front Suspension (no AHC), another answer for “100 series” with Independent Front Suspension (with AHC) and a third answer for “105” series with Rigid Axle Front Suspension (no AHC) – all stock off the shop floor at tare weight without passengers, load, nor any accessories nor after-market fittings.

As you have an LX470 with AHC deleted but with standard Independent Front Suspension, may I suggest a different approach?

Firstly, it is worthwhile to understand the measurements provided by Toyota for the LC100 variants. Go to the Factory Service Manual (FSM) at
https://lc100e.github.io/manual/
Then at the index panel on the left hand side of the opening page, follow these tabs:
Repair Manual > SUSPENSION AND AXLE > FRONT WHEEL ALIGNMENT (Independent Front Suspension > INSPECTION

The first page at this reference reveals Toyota diagrams and dimensions for both FRONT and REAR of the vehicles with various engines in various markets (USA is included in “General”) and with and without AHC. It is done this way because, technically, front end wheel alignment cannot be done correctly unless the rear geometry also is correct. Note that the dimensions given for “with AHC” are universal in all markets.

Perhaps different to your understanding, the LX470 does have a “stock height”. These are the same dimensions as given at this reference for the LC100 with IFS and "with AHC" because the frames are the same. The dimensions are measured when the AHC height is selected at “N” on the console switch and the vehicle is settled at that position. (It is not relevant to your question, but this “height” is quite important to AHC Owners because all AHC diagnostics and adjustments – such as cross-levelling, height settings, neutral pressures, etc, etc – must be measured at this position).

All these dimensions are very fiddly to check under the vehicle body. For that reason and to sidestep issues with non-standard tyre sizes, in relation to LC100 and LX470 (both with AHC) IH8MUD members have adopted hub-to-fender measurements of standard 'operating heights' of
Front: 19.75 inches (or 500 millimetres), and,
Rear: 20.50 inches (or 520 millimetres)

with AHC height setting at “N”, measured with vehicle on a level surface with engine running and AHC operational. These dimensions have been found to be an easy-to-measure good approximation to the FSM specifications. (Modified 'lifted' vehicles will be different).

AHC Owners also are aware of the potential higher and lower height selections they can make subject to prescribed speed and load limits:

View attachment 2563078

So in the case of your LX470 with AHC deleted, may I suggest that you check your Front and Rear hub-to-fender measurements and compare them with
  • the hub-to-fender measurements for LX470 with AHC operating at “N” height setting as described above, and,
  • the greater hub-to-fender measurements which would be standard on an LX470 with AHC operating and with “HI” height selected.

This should give you some idea of what has been done to your vehicle when AHC was deleted. You also may be able to see brands or numbers or markings on the shock absorbers, rear springs and front torsion bars which probably were replaced when AHC was deleted – and these may provide some clues.

It would be unsurprising to find that suspension replacement items installed when AHC was deleted have resulted in a ‘lift’ of around 2 inches or 50 millimetres (or possibly more), compared to the “stock” hub-to-fender measurements given above at “N” height. Depending on your actual front hub-to-fender measurements, it may be worthwhile to explore IH8MUD or obtain advice on whether a front 'diff drop' is prudent, if not already done, to reduce axle angles and better protect front CV joints from excessive stress and wear.

Hope this helps ....
Thanks, lots of good info there for me to look into

Did you get oem gear (shocks coils and tb’s). If so when the Tb is set accurately For correct droop you will
Be at factory height, if you bought aftermarket coils odds are you will be higher (based on empty load)
I didn't do the AHC deleted, it was done before I purchased the vehicle so I have no idea what it has. Id be very disappointed in myself if I purchased something without knowing what I bought.

Um, okay? I'd venture that Mr. T engineers would disagree.
Yes I'm sure toyota has a number but I didn't think it would be common knowledge and so far doesn't appear to be. Since there are different height settings, toyota could theoretically say any of them is the "stock" height. I figured it would be easier, for example, for someone that knowingly had a 2 inch OME lift to tell me they had a measurement of X inches hub to fender. Then I could measure mine and compare very easily. But based on some information above I suppose I can just go off the AHC height in N setting and get a rough idea.

Ok so a few updates. Got under there and looked around and unfortunately I have the strutmasters setup. Great! Oh well, I suppose deep down I knew I wanted better suspension than what it had regardless, I'm not too fond of how it handles and I live down a 15 mile rough dirt road. Seems like the suspension is too soft and not enough travel.

I also measured front and rear hub centers to fenders. Front was 18.5 inches and back was 20-21 inches (roughly). So based on the AHC measurements in N, which ill take for as close to a stock height as I can get, I am basically sitting at a stock height now. Man, it'll be good to get a lift then and know I'll be adding something to what is there.

Now I just have to decide which of the 3 cruisers gets the lift first. My 40 has an old add a leaf, my 60 has a ghetto backyard lift and the lexus is just garbage from what I can find. The lexus will probably win the first round...

Yes I'm sure toyota has a number but I didn't think it would be common knowledge and so far doesn't appear to be. Since there are different height settings, toyota could theoretically say any of them is the "stock" height. I figured it would be easier, for example, for someone that knowingly had a 2 inch OME lift to tell me they had a measurement of X inches hub to fender. Then I could measure mine and compare very easily. But based on some information above I suppose I can just go off the AHC height in N setting and get a rough idea.
Respectfully, Toyota does have numbers for AHC and non-AHC suspensions. And yes, they are common knowledge and are published in the Factory Service Manual at the reference given above in my earlier post, and also in every other source of the Factory Service Manual. These are the only numbers for heights which are published by Toyota for any of the “100 series” and “105 series” vehicles, with and without AHC.

It is simply not correct to say “Since there are different height settings, Toyota could theoretically say any of them is the "stock" height”. Toyota does not say this.

Instead Toyota provides their statements in their Factory Service Manuals. For convenience, these are pasted below. These are the “factory heights” if people want to call them that. Toyota does not concern itself with hub-to-fender numbers for any “100 series” nor “105 series” vehicle in any configuration. That is not how their engineers measure and define these things.

Measure Vehicle Height - Independent Front Suspension.jpg

Measure Vehicle Height - Rigid Front Suspension.jpg

Ok so a few updates. Got under there and looked around and unfortunately I have the strutmasters setup. Great! Oh well, I suppose deep down I knew I wanted better suspension than what it had regardless, I'm not too fond of how it handles and I live down a 15 mile rough dirt road. Seems like the suspension is too soft and not enough travel.

I also measured front and rear hub centers to fenders. Front was 18.5 inches and back was 20 inches (roughly). So based on the AHC measurements in N, which ill take for as close to a stock height as I can get, I am basically sitting at a stock height now. Man, it'll be good to get a lift then and know I'll be adding something to what is there.

Now I just have to decide which of the 3 cruisers gets the lift first. My 40 has an old add a leaf, my 60 has a ghetto backyard lift and the lexus is just garbage from what I can find. The lexus will probably win the first round
Respectfully, Toyota does have numbers for AHC and non-AHC suspensions. And yes, they are common knowledge and are published in the Factory Service Manual at the reference given above in my earlier post, and also in every other source of the Factory Service Manual. These are the only numbers for heights which are published by Toyota for any of the “100 series” and “105 series” vehicles, with and without AHC.

It is simply not correct to say “Since there are different height settings, Toyota could theoretically say any of them is the "stock" height”. Toyota does not say this.

Instead Toyota provides their statements in their Factory Service Manuals. For convenience, these are pasted below. These are the “factory heights” if people want to call them that. Toyota does not concern itself with hub-to-fender numbers for any “100 series” nor “105 series” vehicle in any configuration. That is not how their engineers measure and define these things.

View attachment 2563884

View attachment 2563886
Thanks for the clarification and explanation. I should have assumed the auto maker would indeed have specifications regardless of the type of suspension, wouldnt make sense if they didn't. I need to get the FSM, i know they have been useful for my other vehicles and a lot of the time a necessity.

Isn’t the first correction for the strut master setup to swap the lx torsion bar for an oem lc torsion bar or aftermarket Torsion bar. Sway aways are pretty inexpensive but so are Ironman as part of their lift kits that are good value and in sale often

Isn’t the first correction for the strut master setup to swap the lx torsion bar for an oem lc torsion bar or aftermarket Torsion bar. Sway aways are pretty inexpensive but so are Ironman as part of their lift kits that are good value and in sale often
I think my plan will be to replace the strutmaster setup all together for something a bit more stout and that will gain me some height. I assume the better kits come with most everything ill need but haven't looked into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom