Oil Cooler Cover Replacement Pics and Tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It took me a few days to trace a coolant leak to the oil cooler cover. Don’t let the size of the holes that these develop fool you, you can lose a lot of coolant. Under pressure it will squirt out.

I ordered the cooler cover, hardware, and gaskets from PartSouq.

As you can see, there was a lot of nasty crud built up inside the cover and around it. I’m still flushing with distilled water to help clean it out.

A couple of deviations from the FSM: I did not drop all the lower exhaust components, I only unbolted the front exhaust manifold from the lower exhaust pipe. I also did not unbolt the air pipe from the engine, only from the exhaust. Plenty of room to slip tjr

Tips:
1) Clean out the holes where the exhaust manifold studs go. No brainer, but I was a little lazy and didn’t do this, had a hard time with one stud.
2) Use a proper long extension to work on the underside of the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe bolts. You don’t want to have a Frankenstein extension wobbling all over that tiny torx head.
3) If you use a lot of penetrating fluid to loosen up the exhaust hardware, it will likely burn off the first time you fire up the engine. It will look like you have a bad, smoky exhaust leak. Make sure it’s burned off completely before you start throwing your wrenches across the garage.

I took it slow and it took me a long weekend afternoon to do this job once I had all the parts. Probably could it in 2 hours again. Happy to report that my 80 is now back on the road, no leak.

53021C49-3B64-452C-99D1-C634317D26CD.jpeg

F2F06B6E-27CA-486F-A20D-9E2AFB188099.jpeg

98E92232-B61F-40CD-8F17-EAA484B8E6C4.jpeg

03653394-C1FC-404C-96C4-E6759959BA79.jpeg

989C2EEA-D903-488F-8B0E-65EC59109B0F.jpeg

Dang....how does one get that nasty.

Mine....when I took it apart at 316,000 miles.

OC2.jpg
OC1.jpg

Cleaned it up, put in new seals, relief valve plug and spring.....good to go.

OC5.jpg
OC6.jpg
OC8.jpg

Dang....how does one get that nasty.

Mine....when I took it apart at 316,000 miles.

View attachment 2459034View attachment 2459035

Cleaned it up, put in new seals, relief valve plug and spring.....good to go.

View attachment 2459036View attachment 2459037View attachment 2459038

Wow looks super clean! I honestly don’t know how it got like this. Bought it in December with 215k on the odo but it’s busted so who knows how many actual miles. I’ve flushed it 5 times now (with about 3.5 gallons of distilled each time) and it’s still coming out yellowish rusty with minerals at the bottom of the bucket.

Front bearings and spindles were toast when I got it, there was lots of mud in the knuckle housing. I had to replace the carpet because there was so much dirt and funk inside. Desert dust in every nook and cranny.

I’m light driving it every day now so hopefully she’s coming back to life after probably years of abuse and neglect.

I’m light driving it every day now so hopefully she’s coming back to life after probably years of abuse and neglect.

^^^^^

Judging from the pics posted....I would say this is a foregone conclusion.

Get her fixed up.....you'll be rewarded for it.

I’m putting mine back together and the grind kit has
* one large oil cooler gasket (15725-66010) and
* 3 small gaskets (15786-66010).

I think that I know where the 2 small (15786-66010) gaskets go.

Where does the third (15786-66010) one go?

045CAD1F-91CB-42A5-9311-1CEC0E33D536.jpeg

View attachment 2563524

Looks like you've got an extra. You only need two for the oil cooler.

OC5.jpg

Did you replace your oil cooler as well or just clean it?

A simple cleaning was all mine needed. The cooling system had always been well maintained. I've owned the vehicle for 21 of it's 24 years and always done the maintenance on it. So in my case there wasn't any corrosion or damage to components.

A simple cleaning was all mine needed. The cooling system had always been well maintained. I've owned the vehicle for 21 of it's 24 years and always done the maintenance on it. So in my case there wasn't any corrosion or damage to components.
Well done, that thing looks mint. Crossing my fingers that mine looks more like yours and not OP's

D

Do I need to replace the bolts and studs or can I reuse them? It looks like most people just replace the gaskets
I replaced the hardware but just make sure you clean everything up real good and make sure they’re still serviceable if you decide to reuse. Like not rusted or damaged.

I replaced the hardware but just make sure you clean everything up real good and make sure they’re still serviceable if you decide to reuse. Like not rusted or damaged.
How did you end up cleaning everything? I'm thinking of blasting it with lots of break cleaner

View attachment 2563524
The third one is for the water bypass pipe coming off the thermostat housing

How did you end up cleaning everything?

IME some of of the super cleaners like Purple Power or Simple Green remove
baked on grime (along with scrubbing) better/quicker than solvents, but I usually try both depending on what I'm working on. If it's old nuts and bolts which are starting to corrode and packed with grime I've found it's much less of a hassle to just buy new hardware.

FWIW

For hardware I have a small ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight. Fill with 505 degreaser from Home Depot and the hardware comes out nice and clean.

Take good care of that oil cooler assy 15710-54030.

I was crazy enough to buy a new one at ~$600 just so I could say I truly had a new 1FZ-FE long block minus the valve cover because NLA.

I’m probably only a handful of people to have ever bought one from Toyota. SMH ocd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom