Roof Light Wiring - Give me pictures, give me ideas! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalFJ100

SILVER Star
Threads
I know there are some threads floating out there with some ideas on rooftop light wiring, but I wanted to try and see if I can get a centralized thread going.

I have an 80 WITHOUT a factory roof rack. I do have a snorkel!

What are some ways you all have made waterproof and clean installation of roof top wiring? I have heard of running the wiring down inside the snorkel, but haven't seen any close up pictures of that. Alternatively, is there an electrical junction that can be installed somewhere on the roof? Has anyone used Heyco Connectors on the roof? Pictures? Leaks?

I personally plan to throw some reverse lights on the back, maybe some scene/camp lights on the side...would love to throw the cell antenna up there for the WeBoost one day.

Please drop your solutions below. Pictures and parts used would be awesome! I am trying to find the cleanest and most functional way to get this done!!!

2020-12-31 15.29.03.jpg

This is what I use..... various different parts and pieces from here should be able to meet most of your needs.... as far the mounting is co concerned.... as for the wiring I use zip ties and black wire conduit and heat shrink to make things tidy.... 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is what I use..... various different parts and pieces from here should be able to meet most of your needs.... as far the mounting is co concerned.... as for the wiring I use zip ties and black wire conduit and heat shrink to make things tidy.... 🤷🏻‍♂️

How did you get the wiring inside truck?

How did you get the wiring inside truck?

On one of my trucks I run it through a door way and along the rubber gasket the other way that I do it on my 80 is to run the wires to the engine bay to the relays then through the firewall to the cab and switches ....

On one of my trucks I run it through a door way and along the rubber gasket the other way that I do it on my 80 is to run the wires to the engine bay to the relays then through the firewall to the cab and switches ....
Are the wires hidden going to your engine bay?

Are the wires hidden going to your engine bay?

yep, you run them along the gasket that seals the door on either side of the front doors then into the engine bay. You can see them when you go from under the gasket to the bay but only an inch or two. IMO is fairly tidy.

yep, you run them along the gasket that seals the door on either side of the front doors then into the engine bay. You can see them when you go from under the gasket to the bay but only an inch or two. IMO is fairly tidy.
Cool. Perhaps you can post a picture or two? If you're able to. Trying to envision this.

I run them through the roof front-passenger of sunroof. Then down the inside of headliner and a-pillar, through grommet to engine bay on passenger side, then across top of firewall to a junction that connects to the battery. I have conduit + silicone to seal spot in roof. It's never leaked, but also never had direct rain because it's covered by solar panels.

PM me to remind me to upload a picture tomorrow, but i drilled a hole on the rooftop right above the DS sunroof. Siliconed the hole and put a rubber grommet. Feed the wire through the hole, then ran it along the inside DS door panel.

PM me to remind me to upload a picture tomorrow, but i drilled a hole on the rooftop right above the DS sunroof. Siliconed the hole and put a rubber grommet. Feed the wire through the hole, then ran it along the inside DS door panel.
Went outside and took some pics.

20210123_213028.jpg

20210123_213040.jpg

20210123_213106.jpg

Thanks man!! I've seen a bunch of your posts. You've been busy with your rig. Looks great!!
Thanks. Here are a few more. If the light bar you get has "fins" on the back like mine, go to Home Depot/Lowes/etc and but a piece of foam (pipe insulation I think its called). Put pieces between the fins, because when you drive 50+ MPH they will vibrate and whistle. It'll gets annoying after a while.

20210124_080847.jpg

20210124_080902.jpg

20210124_080927.jpg

This is how I re-routed my solar recently. Was crossing over the weatherstrip for a long time and I needed a better solution. Now it comes through one of the plugs by the trailer wiring pass through. Very happy with it so far.

This is how I re-routed my solar recently. Was crossing over the weatherstrip for a long time and I needed a better solution. Now it comes through one of the plugs by the trailer wiring pass through. Very happy with it so far.

That looks good!

Gotta check this out! Did you use the Heyco plug? I think we're neighbors. You have the shop in Reseda, right?
Yup, that's me. Stop by anytime to check it out or if you have any questions.

Back in the days of yore when I used to build electrical cabinets that where not allowed to leak, we used two different methods depending on if the system had to be taken apart or if it could be shipped as a unit.
If the connection was split into two we used this style:
Personally I think I'll go this route, just because you never know when something will need to be disconnected, and with these the water tight seal is never disturbed.

and if the wires were passing through we used these styles: compression glands.
PYI Cable Gland/Cable Clam Deck Seal, 31mm | West Marine - https://www.westmarine.com/buy/pyi--cable-gland-cable-clam-deck-seal-31mm--17834359?cm_sp=Onsite-Recs-_-DY-_-PDP

Back in the days of yore when I used to build electrical cabinets that where not allowed to leak, we used two different methods depending on if the system had to be taken apart or if it could be shipped as a unit.
If the connection was split into two we used this style:
Personally I think I'll go this route, just because you never know when something will need to be disconnected, and with these the water tight seal is never disturbed.

and if the wires were passing through we used these styles: compression glands.
PYI Cable Gland/Cable Clam Deck Seal, 31mm | West Marine - https://www.westmarine.com/buy/pyi--cable-gland-cable-clam-deck-seal-31mm--17834359?cm_sp=Onsite-Recs-_-DY-_-PDP
I've been looking for those and but never searched McMaster for bulkhead connectors.

I mounted my rear light bar by drilling into my roof skin and using a cable gland. The light bar is hardwired to DC, something I never do. Naturally after a few years, the light bar failed and now I have to remove the gland and undo my wiring. I wanted a two pole bulkhead connector to easily remove/replace light fixtures on the roof but didn't know the name of the connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom