What is the purpose of this part circled? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know what this is and it’s purpose? Wide open hole into ( maybe the steering adjustment chamber )???

1FD27A8B-E6EA-48DA-9F69-D58E165446CA.jpeg

Fill/ breather

There should be a little metal cap on there that allows air to escape but keep crud out, much lake a diff breather.

Probably not to good allowing dirt debris and moisture in there. You can use 90 weight gear oil in there, whatever you use for the diffs. Not sure where to get that part but im sure others will chime in here soon. It is very similar to one used on a diff.

Fit a plastic cap over it in the meantime... Good boxes are not cheap or easy to build compared to a little protection.

Ordered the parts and went and bought some 90 weight gear oil. I wonder how much it effects the steering currently without the correct breather plug ... guessing g it causes a little bit of the steering issues ? Also , I wonder when or how I know if it needs ?

I doubt the breather would have any effect on drive ability. Any issues you may be having would be in the steering box itself, rag joint or ball joints in the front end. do you currently have steering issues?

Last edited:
Agreed on rag joint, something is wrong so that needs sorting. I can take a pic of mine, it looks installed upside down in above pic somehow.

As to breather, no impact to drivability. More around contamination getting into your steering box. If you don’t want to buy a new one consider swapping with trans or diffs (and put a breather hose on them), etc...

For oil fill in steering box, can’t remember what FSM says but will fill close to level where breather is.

As to loose steering, several wear points along the way. Unless something obvious (like rag joint) best way is methodically work through system. Tie rod ends, drag link, center arm, etc...

Nik

Ordered the parts and went and bought some 90 weight gear oil. I wonder how much it effects the steering currently without the correct breather plug ... guessing g it causes a little bit of the steering issues ? Also , I wonder when or how I know if it needs ?

nope that cap has absolutely no effect on how the box works or how the steering performs or feels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom