Newbie - rear hatch wont latch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read a few articles on this issue but am still a bit confused and maybe one of you has a fine eye in seeing the issue here.

I've read about the door spring, about adding washers to the top and bottom hatch, lack of lubricant, misalignment between the top and bottom hatch, how the thin sheet metal gets bent....

I've replaced the rear hatch mechanism hoping this would fix the issue but it didn't. I've opened up the panel and poked my head around but my untrained eye cant figure it out. It doesn't latch, I have to either slam it real hard or retract the latching mechanism with a flathead screwdriver to get it to latch on but still loose.

Any help or direction of where to go is appreciated. Thanks.

20200409_103244.jpg

20200409_103838.jpg

20200409_103841.jpg

20200409_111014.jpg

20200409_103204.jpg

Did you try shiming it with washers? If you read about it why haven't you tried it? Sawtooth4x4 and I both said we replaced the latch and it didn't help. Your problem matches ours perfectly. And the washers worked for us.

I'll try the washers this week. I use the flathead screwdriver to open the metal latch bc it doesn't open properly aka won't latch, the metal hits the metal. Not sure if the washer will fix this issue. I'll update this post this week to see if the washers help 🤞

Sounds exactly how mine was. Stop slamming it, or it could get worse. It looks like the plastic piece on the new latch is already damaged from slamming it. I don't really know what it's purpose is but Toyota put it there.
Refer to sawtooth4x4's post for photos of washer placement. I only did the top latch.

You answered your own question with the picture in post #2. Your is missing the plastic cover on the latch mechanism. No idea why they have this on the latch but without it the door will not latch properly. I have the same issue. Mine was all gummed up when I bought it 20 years ago. It annoyed me and I finally cut it off and the hatch would not shut a few years ago. Still working on a replacement lol. Not sure adding washers will correct this but haven't read the posts mentioned. Makes more sense to just replace it properly with a working unit.

Same here, I replaced the latch with one from a local fellow mudder that had the plastic thing still attached and still did not close. Good thing he let me return it. Seems no one exactly knows what that plastic thing is for.

I have fallen into this issue too...let me inquire a bit more here to clarify and make sure with those who know for sure. I know what happened to my rear upper hatch the moment it failed.
All was well until I took it in to have the rear tailgate window/defroster assembly replaced.
Upon completion the tech drove up and I got in and drove away but noticed after a few blocks that the “ door open” light was on...pulled over and checked all the doors and found the rear top gate was “latched” but loose...I opened and looked at the latch and saw some white plastic shards wedged in there which I pulled out to “fix” the situation...of course it didnt work...so, here’s my question...will the “additional latch washers” cure fix this? Why? Why wouldnt a new upper latch mechanism with a fresh “plastic spacer” work as well or better than a couple washer/spacers?

If you look where the latch mounts, it is thin sheet metal. I think it deforms causing misalignment. I think my original plastic piece was damaged but still there. New latch didn't fix anything.
Mine went bad because I would trip the latch while camping so the lights would be off and not drain the battery, but forget to open it before slamming it shut.
A new latch may solve your problem if the mounting plate isn't bent.

Just wanted to chime in and say I had this same issue a few months ago, couldn't figure it out for the life of me and just ended up buying a new latch mechanism, and everything ended up solved somehow.

I think these guys have got you on the right track though. Worst case CruiserParts (I think) sells new latches.

I have fallen into this issue too...let me inquire a bit more here to clarify and make sure with those who know for sure. I know what happened to my rear upper hatch the moment it failed.
All was well until I took it in to have the rear tailgate window/defroster assembly replaced.
Upon completion the tech drove up and I got in and drove away but noticed after a few blocks that the “ door open” light was on...pulled over and checked all the doors and found the rear top gate was “latched” but loose...I opened and looked at the latch and saw some white plastic shards wedged in there which I pulled out to “fix” the situation...of course it didnt work...so, here’s my question...will the “additional latch washers” cure fix this? Why? Why wouldnt a new upper latch mechanism with a fresh “plastic spacer” work as well or better than a couple washer/spacers?
found this on youtube and thought it might help

Try adjusting your bottom hatch in, out, up and down to get the latch to come into contact at the right time, position that will achieve this. Shouldn't be that hard to get them to align and work as intended. Don't know if that's been tried or not. Good luck

Update:

Thanks for all the input.

Where I was before:
1) had to use a screw driver to manually position the upper latch mechanism to open and actually latch with the bottom.
2) it would semi make contact enough to kind of close but not lock. Anyone could open the back
3) "open door" light on cluster would always stay on.
4) toyota security was disabled because the open door light was always on

What I did 1st:
1) applied a washer on the bottom (only) and it sort of latched but did not lock.
2) open door light stayed on
3) toyota security was off

What I did 2nd:
1) applied one washer to top and left the two on the bottom - this was way off.

What I did 3rd:
1) applied two washers to top and left bottom two - this was off

What I did last/where I am now:
1) left the two on top and removed the two washers from the bottom.
2) no need to use screw driver to manually open the latch to catch (but not fully close)
3) open door light is off now, even when the rear is open 🤷‍♂️ (good so people dont know one of my doors is unlocked)
4) security function turned on and scared the s*** out of me.

Good: open door light is off and as of now no need to use screw driver

Bad: does not lock or fully close (same as before)

20210122_155613.jpg

20210122_155618.jpg

20210122_155718.jpg

20210122_160622.jpg

20210122_161842.jpg

Here is how the back looks. Not fully closed.
Does not lock.

The security system is a bit sensitive and goes off alot hahaha.

20210122_164353.jpg

20210122_161937.jpg

20210122_161747.jpg

I wonder if with the washers installed I can get a used latch with the thin white metal/plastic thing still fully intact and it will work ?

Mine started peeling some time back and I started peeling it off. Maybe that was a mistake.

Any suggestions as to where to go from here?

Now I'm back to where I was before. The latch is not catching and the open door light is on and security off. I think the issue is with the latch and the position it is in. See pictures.

20210122_171412.jpg

20210122_171809.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom