Let's Build this Pristine 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Super clean, nice truck. Love the color.
Build it for your mission. What is your main purpose for the truck?

Here’s a few ideas to add.
Kill switch to prevent theft
Trans/t-case armor
270 degree awning
HAM or GMSR
Wagon Gear tailgate lid
Pfran LED interior lights/reverse lights
iPad Navigation using Gaia GPS/BadElf GPS
Can you provide more details on this kill switch? I need some added theft protection on mine.

Can you provide more details on this kill switch? I need some added theft protection on mine.

Find a wire somewhere that will keep the truck from starting if it is cut. Cut said wire and install a switch. Preferably in a dry and "secret" location. This is what I have done on a few dual sport dirt bikes. I also think I need to do this on my cruiser.....

A couple ways to install a kill switch, in addition to those mentioned.

Put a switch inline with the starter wire. Not the battery cable to the starter. You want the signal that closes the relay to run the starter.

You can install a kill switch to the fuel pump.

“When I did mine, I went to the fuel cut solenoid on the pump itself, cut that wire, & soldered the switch wires to the cut wires. That way, no amount of tampering under the dash will result in a startup, plus, should the switch ever fail, it is dead simple to bypass it under the hood if you know where to do it. Very few car thieves would start messing about under the hood ... they prefer to lay across the floor out of sight and fiddle under the dash.”

A good place to hide the kill switch is on the inside of the centre console where there is a gap next to the base of the hand brake where you can reach inside.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the fuel pump switch, that way the engine will crank over (and make noise) but not start. Not too many thieves will hang around after making a racket. Disabling the starter is silent and may encourage a thief to look for a switch.

Last night I added the CDL switch. Super easy mod and will get a lot of use out of it. Updated some bulbs and put some liner in the 2 center console pockets so my stuff doesn’t rattle as much.

E9F73581-CBC5-4269-BE1F-EE19636FCB30.jpeg

A couple updates...

- Decided against a rear bumper so I bought Wits End rear tire leveling kit which worked out awesome and super easy to install. It moved the front portion of the tire up about 3” and gave a much cleaner look.
- Removed the tow hitch and got a hitch from manafre that fits in the stock bumper holes. Not planning on any towing just to put the bike rack on.
- Also did the auto up window mod which is fantastic... love this forum!
- Added oh s*** handle on drivers side top. Popped covers off and screwed it in.
- White Knuckle sliders on order. Removed stock steps in the meantime and installed some ome front mud flaps.
- Removed factory radio and speakers and upgraded to a Kenwood CarPlay stereo. Man I love CarPlay... crazy that my 80 now has it but not my 200...
- Installed ARB front bumper. Haven’t decided on which winch to put on yet so just installed to free up space in the garage. Never needed a winch in all my years of wheeling so hard to justify a $1200-1500 come up or warn.
- ARB bumper wiring... for some reason the marker lights on the ARB and the 80 lights don’t light up with headlights on? They both work for turn signals so what did I do wrong??? Any suggestions?
- Torn on what lighting to install on it. Really want some sae lights so I can get better light on the road but also some nice round lights for off-road. I’ll keep looking.
- Rear storage... originally was thinking drawers but after researching and taking measurements they sit too high for our massive dog. ARB has some shorter drawers that might work but undecided on them. Additionally looked at the storage cubbies that 4x4labs offers but they are kind of limited and no privacy with them. Last option is my buddy mocked up some larger rear cubbies fully enclosed with a lid that might do the trick and fit over the wheel wells and down the sides of the rear panels. Wont be the most accessible which leads me back to the shorter ARB drawers.

Don’t worry I kept all parts including crappy stock speakers and put in storage if I ever want to bring back to stock. :)

That’s it for now.

278529A8-5830-4A00-844E-ECF366E0286C.jpeg

CD73F32C-CFFD-498F-849E-CB9E14F4FA00.jpeg

1D9CD206-7F95-418E-B719-EEBD56967225.jpeg

A2DC4C33-2550-4B03-AF89-83558EE9C03A.jpeg

And for fun added some heritage wheels to the 200...

68DB9E45-A021-47CD-9774-2AD8C75387AF.jpeg

Call me paranoid, but I've always thought that if you're going to do a kill switch, do it so nobody can figure it out... not just so a teenager decides to move on. If someone wants to steal an 80, they likely know their way around it. They can get to the fuel pump in less than a minute with a razor and just hot wire it. Don't even get me started on the starter (no pun intended)... that's got to be the easiest thing to figure out and can be bypassed without even opening up the hood. Go for the ignition wire. Go behind the dash. If you're feeling fancy, find another essential wire from the diagram. Disguise the switch as a screw head or something. Get creative and resist the temptation to post about your creativity

Great looking 80! Build it, wheel it, and have fun w/ it!

A couple updates...

- Decided against a rear bumper so I bought Wits End rear tire leveling kit which worked out awesome and super easy to install. It moved the front portion of the tire up about 3” and gave a much cleaner look.
- Removed the tow hitch and got a hitch from manafre that fits in the stock bumper holes. Not planning on any towing just to put the bike rack on.
- Also did the auto up window mod which is fantastic... love this forum!
- Added oh s*** handle on drivers side top. Popped covers off and screwed it in.
- White Knuckle sliders on order. Removed stock steps in the meantime and installed some ome front mud flaps.
- Removed factory radio and speakers and upgraded to a Kenwood CarPlay stereo. Man I love CarPlay... crazy that my 80 now has it but not my 200...
- Installed ARB front bumper. Haven’t decided on which winch to put on yet so just installed to free up space in the garage. Never needed a winch in all my years of wheeling so hard to justify a $1200-1500 come up or warn.
- ARB bumper wiring... for some reason the marker lights on the ARB and the 80 lights don’t light up with headlights on? They both work for turn signals so what did I do wrong??? Any suggestions?
- Torn on what lighting to install on it. Really want some sae lights so I can get better light on the road but also some nice round lights for off-road. I’ll keep looking.
- Rear storage... originally was thinking drawers but after researching and taking measurements they sit too high for our massive dog. ARB has some shorter drawers that might work but undecided on them. Additionally looked at the storage cubbies that 4x4labs offers but they are kind of limited and no privacy with them. Last option is my buddy mocked up some larger rear cubbies fully enclosed with a lid that might do the trick and fit over the wheel wells and down the sides of the rear panels. Wont be the most accessible which leads me back to the shorter ARB drawers.

Don’t worry I kept all parts including crappy stock speakers and put in storage if I ever want to bring back to stock. :)

That’s it for now.

View attachment 2561044

View attachment 2561045

View attachment 2561046

View attachment 2561047

For the lights on the bumper just wire them to the running lights circuit.

I assume you're talking headlights. If so the 9011 bulbs are the best bang for the buck IMO. Some say the Slee headlight harness makes a difference as well.

Those lights aren't designed to light up with the headlights, turn signals only. Several mods out there on changing the operation of the lights. I used the MoGas Mod but this only allows the side markers to blink with the turn signals.

MoGas Mod - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mogas-mod.121071/

Call me paranoid, but I've always thought that if you're going to do a kill switch, do it so nobody can figure it out...

Should put in some sort of three way switch and wire it to the horn, put in a relay so it stays on till the switch is flipped. You could kill the fuel pump and have the horn stay on. You could maybe even install it in the fuse panel if there is space, harder to identify if it looks like factory wiring. Could use a factory switch and put in plain sight, or something hidden

Laying down in a truck trying to hide while playing with wires at 2:00am would be less appealing for them.

Not like this:

Those lights aren't designed to light up with the headlights, turn signals only. Several mods out there on changing the operation of the lights. I used the MoGas Mod but this only allows the side markers to blink with the turn signals.

MoGas Mod - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mogas-mod.121071/
For some reason I was thinking they illuminated amber when the headlights turned on? If they don't and only light up when the turn signal is triggered then I got it right... These below:

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 2.19.28 PM.png

Oh my that is a nice one. I LOVE that cruiser. I have a restored 91 and a pristine low mile 02 and 05. Only thing I am missing is YOUR truck. Feel free to PM me. Cash offer. Don't change a thing.

I run the lights in my ironman bumper as running lights without problems. Granted they are LED not incandescent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom