Genuine Magnaflow downpipe sourcing / NOT bosal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know of a seller who is still selling the genuine Magnaflow 23120 downpipe (non-CA) for a 1996 FZJ80? NOT the repackaged Bosal. See pic for reference.

Mine has a significant exhaust leak from a break in the weld in the "v". A muffler shop said they can custom build one, which would be more $$$, but I'm hesitant to go that route. If my concerns are unfounded about performance and fit, please reply and share your thoughts.

UPDATE: GOOD NEWS!!! Ordered a Magnaflow 23120 from O'Reilly Auto Parts on 1/19/2021. The downpipe that came in looks like the original Magnaflow, NOT the Bosal with the round cat. Identical to the one below. So, it does look like Magnaflow is shipping the original version again.

Stole that pic from StucknKS. Thank You!

894867E3-AEC6-49D0-AAE4-AF08D5B7B98F.jpg

TL

Last edited:
I've heard reports that most people are getting a real magnaflow lately from a variety of vendors, including summit and oreily, if I recall?

Perhaps magnaflow got wise to the consumer disappointment with the bosal product and started putting out their own again? I'll let others chime in.

I would highly recommend getting one from a place that has free shipping and free return shipping. I have had excellent service from Summit. If you're an Amazon Prime member, I would recommend that route. I got a real Magnaflow but that has been a while. Most likely, if you order from Summit, it will be drop-shipped from Magnaflow. Don't know if that will help your chances.

I ordered a cat-back exhaust from Summit. The first two showed up with minor damage. They told me to keep them. They sent me a third that was finally in as-ordered shape. That put a lot of confidence in their customer service for me.

@zapatius wanna part with your "scratch and dent" products for a minor profit? :hillbilly:

@zapatius wanna part with your "scratch and dent" products for a minor profit? :hillbilly:
Ha - I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want them. They are Walkers. I only have one left after each of the first ones lasted about a year. I have since gone back to the OE muffler but still using the rear tailpipe Walker section.

I have a bastard exhaust - Magnaflow y-pipe into a custom bend to mate up the '94 exhaust. Then an OE muffler and Walker tailpipe. And my O2 sensors are mounted in the empty PAIR locations in the manifold.

Summit racing or anywhere really. The Bosal issue hasn't been an issue in years.

Oreily auto parts is where I bought mine...true magnaflow...

Is the Magnaflow that much better than OE?

I cut new 1 up for my Turbo install only used from merge pipe down. If interested message me. Also have OEM I took off it didn't have any leaks Cat isn't plugged up.

20210120_063128.jpg

Is the Magnaflow that much better than OE?
Not better, but significantly less expensive if the original one has rotted away. The catalytic converter is also mounted horizontally as opposed to vertically for better clearance.

Not better, but significantly less expensive if the original one has rotted away. The catalytic converter is also mounted horizontally as opposed to vertically for better clearance.
Thanks! My y-pipe has a ceramic coating of clay and dirt. I should probably clean it off sometime and verify the structural integrity.

The bosal issue is all but gone. But if you're worried get it from either auto zone or O' Riley. Both have free ship to store and free returns. I went with auto zone and used my $20 loyalty discount plus they had a 10% sale. I opened it at the counter before I took it home and it was indeed a maganaflow.

Get some Toyota seals and throw the one that came with it away. They will turn to dust within a year.

I also painted mine with hi temp paint before install to try and increase longevity, idk if it helps or not but it looks nice.

Yes, in my case. Stainless, cheaper and replaced two converters with one.
I've already got a "bullet" cat installed with the factory Y-pipe.

Just bought a magnaflow downpipe a couple weeks ago off amazon , quality and fit was very good. Also bought the Bosal exhaust kit off Rock auto because I couldn't find anything else for a decent price-I was really surprised at how well it fit-no problems at all.

GOOD NEWS!!! Ordered a Magnaflow 23120 from O'Reilly Auto Parts on 1/19/2021. The downpipe that came in looks like the original Magnaflow, NOT the Bosal with the round cat. So, it does look like Magnaflow is shipping the original version again.

Are there any cat back options besides Otram, Boral, and Bosal? or did I cover them all?
That and oem are the only choices. I really wish someone would bring in a sea can of FZJ80 exhaust systems from Australia as there is a plural of choices there including headers.

Are there any cat back options besides Otram, Boral, and Bosal? or did I cover them all?

You can get a Walker. They run about $250 for the muffler and rear section. Not stainless obviously. They're okay. Sounds like stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom