A Good Night Sleep In Your Truck ? Mattress,Lighting,Platform Design,CPAP machine and power for it. What else? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a DAC full-size truck tent. I've used it for over five years. It fits pretty tight, so I use an adjustable trekking pole to help hold up the hatch. However, it does not seal very well along the sides and especially on the roof where it goes over the roof rack. Bugs are not much of a problem where I live, but last fall I was camping in an exposed area and when the wind came from the front of the vehicle, the tent acted like a scoop and funneled cold air onto me all night long. I ended up stuffing an army blanket up there to block the wind.

I've also boxed in the tailgate/hatch area with 1-inch R-Tech insulating foam and 1/2 inch foam for the windows. It's kind of bulky carrying around all that foam, but it makes things pretty cozy when it's cold. Of course, in the summer I leave all that stuff home! EDIT: I should mention that I use the tent and foam on a 100 series. I also have a 200 and the tent should fit, but the extension and window covers I made will not.

Amazon product ASIN B007WT1GYQ
IMG_1938.JPG

Last edited:
Enjoying all the varieties of car camping here. This may not work for the OP as he likes metal all closed up, but I find this Napier truck tent to work great for the same reasons as @terrapin . Loads more airflow and room inside keeping the tailgate down. Terrapin, you might try a few magnets strategically placed can keep the tent fabric nice and tight against wind.

I just ordered a wedge style RTT and plan to continue to use the tailgate tent with it, to sleep a family of 4. Also plans to build a high swing mounted hitch box tailored for car camping.

1610991786189.png

For all inside of the vehicle sleepers (without tent).

You will get the perfect Airflow for summer environment for 2 Persons this way, unsing the chimney effect:

- Install Wind Visors at least for the rear doors. It helps to ket the windows open during rain.

Auto-Wind-Deflektor-Auto-Fenster-Windabweiser-Visor-Vent-Regen-Schutz-F-r-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-V8.jpg_960x960.jpg

Windows Soxx at both rear doors. They cover inner and outside so you get double animal protection.

Open the window fo 1/5 on both side

windows-sox-fenstersocken-autoscheibe.JPG

Tilt the car roof window, use a mosquito-net for protection

- This way you dont will see car glass fogging up inside, it will be dry

- it dont will get too hot.

- For winter conditions you can make the airflow smaller like you need it.

- the tinting of the windows soxx are that big, that people outside dont see if the window is open or not.

- No Animals are able to join. Be aware that the amount of animals is small, which you bring with you when you are getting in/out of the car.

- works for stormy / rainny conditions too, with closing the windows a bit more

- If it is noisy you can close all windows and rest well. The aircon of the Land Cruiser 200 will dry everything in 15 mins (aircon on max).

This is perfect for 99% of the possible condition. If you are a very hot and desert environment, it helps to attach a fan to get more air circulation

Amazon product ASIN B07T6ZTNJZ
Surfy

Last edited:
What's everyone doing about improving your sleeping experience in your LC? I happen to really enjoy it and now that I've sold my trailer will be doing it more. I have a good tent but in Bear country, I like the metal around me! Now that I'm using a CPAP machine need power ideas for that. Thanks in advance for the help and creative ideas. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Drive over to Belgrade and come home with a GFC Superlite. Put it on when you go camping and pull it off when you aren't. You'll be able to lift it by yourself just fine. Don't sleep in a $80k coffin. (GFC copied the construction of the Exped Megamat for the mattress in the Superlite.)

You probably also want a 270 awning for hanging out.

Say hi if you see us around town. Ours is the black one driven by the hot blonde.

Also, fellow Exped lovers: if you're concerned about packed size, check out the Nemo Roamer. Identical comfort, packs considerably smaller.

Drive over to Belgrade and come home with a GFC Superlite. Put it on when you go camping and pull it off when you aren't. You'll be able to lift it by yourself just fine. Don't sleep in a $80k coffin. (GFC copied the construction of the Exped Megamat for the mattress in the Superlite.)

Did exactly that and I have one on order hopefully to see it by summer. Have you been able to see one firsthand yet? I have high hopes with its excellent pricing and GFC behind it. While I do ground tents too, some places just don't lend themselves well to it, with uneven rocky surfaces everywhere. Where I was camping in the pic above, I broke 3 stakes trying to put down a small privacy tent.

I can't dedicate my rig to a single configuration so this should give me the flexibility to reconfigure for car camping easily. Between that, hatch tent, some layers of bedding, and my Goal Zero 1000, is really all the major things I need to car camp.

Did exactly that and I have one on order hopefully to see it by summer. Have you been able to see one firsthand yet? I have high hopes with its excellent pricing and GFC behind it. While I do ground tents too, some places just don't lend themselves well to it, with uneven rocky surfaces everywhere. Where I was camping in the pic above, I broke 3 stakes trying to put down a small privacy tent.

I can't dedicate my rig to a single configuration so this should give me the flexibility to reconfigure for car camping easily. Between that, hatch tent, some layers of bedding, and my Goal Zero 1000, is really all the major things I need to car camp.

Yep. Even put it up there myself for the photoshoot. I've sat in one and played around with the bedding, but haven't slept in it yet. Seems very comfortable.

There's a time and place for RTTs, ground tents, campers, etc. Sleeping inside an SUV just seems like a worst of all worlds option. No space, no moisture management, no privacy. Being able to load the Superlite on and off so easily really seems like an ideal solution.

PXL_20201001_002931212.jpg

I'm not a fan of RTTs but this looks interesting. Does the MegaMat Duo fit? How does it handle winds?

I'm not a fan of RTTs but this looks interesting. Does the MegaMat Duo fit? How does it handle winds?

It comes with its own bedding system. I'd imagine specs would be available on the website.

I haven't used the Superlite (just let them use our 200 for a photoshoot), but have a GFC Platform Camper on my Ranger. It's the strongest RTT in the world. The Superlite should be the second strongest.

LOL, should have recognized your rig on their webpage!! The photogenic setup did just a bit to help me pull the trigger.

My goal is actually to sleep 4 in the cruiser. 2 up top, and 2 in car. I've camped several times in car with the hatch tent, which alleviates the concerns of space, privacy, and moisture. Actually once slept 4 in there with small kids, at low 30s, and it worked well, if obviously too tight. Hence the RTT. I know what I'm getting into with the RTT having had a traditional book-open type on my 100-series. Between the weight up top effecting handling, difficulty of setup, aero impacts, all of which I hope will be mitigated by this super low profile and light wedge Superlite.

@sdnative, the interior dimensions are 90" x 50". Pretty large by mat standards, so the megamat duo will fit fine. I didn't order mine with the mattress and hoping to reuse my other gear in it.

1611081155465.png

You probably also want a 270 awning for hanging out.

Say hi if you see us around town. Ours is the black one driven by the hot blonde.

Also, fellow Exped lovers: if you're concerned about packed size, check out the Nemo Roamer. Identical comfort, packs considerably smaller.

Drive home with a RTT? Thought they were back-ordered until Spring?

LOL, should have recognized your rig on their webpage!! The photogenic setup did just a bit to help me pull the trigger.

My goal is actually to sleep 4 in the cruiser. 2 up top, and 2 in car. I've camped several times in car with the hatch tent, which alleviates the concerns of space, privacy, and moisture. Actually once slept 4 in there with small kids, at low 30s, and it worked well, if obviously too tight. Hence the RTT. I know what I'm getting into with the RTT having had a traditional book-open type on my 100-series. Between the weight up top effecting handling, difficulty of setup, aero impacts, all of which I hope will be mitigated by this super low profile and light wedge Superlite.

@sdnative, the interior dimensions are 90" x 50". Pretty large by mat standards, so the megamat duo will fit fine. I didn't order mine with the mattress and hoping to reuse my other gear in it.

Now you got me thinking about it darn it. I love my Oztent RV5 but pretty much impossible to carry without a full size aftermarket rack. I am planning a Yellowstone trip this year, so maybe?

Now you got me thinking about it darn it. I love my Oztent RV5 but pretty much impossible to carry without a full size aftermarket rack. I am planning a Yellowstone trip this year, so maybe?

LOL. That's a fine tent you have there. Isn't camping wacky as each style has just enough differences to perhaps warrant more gear?

Including all the other great suggestions here. Looking at you @MTKID Dang just ordered another piece of kit. Thank you in the best way!

LOL. That's a fine tent you have there. Isn't camping wacky as each style has just enough differences to perhaps warrant more gear?

Including all the other great suggestions here. Looking at you @MTKID Dang just ordered another piece of kit. Thank you in the best way!

😉 I did the same when you posted the generic farm jack base plate for our OEM jacks (although I also have a high-lift I could use it for) 👍🏼

Got my jack base. Surprisingly sturdy thing that will serve well as a stable base to jack from for the stock bottle jack off road. Gives a nice 2 inch boost which is exactly what I was looking for to support larger tires.

Now to find a place to tuck it.

Relevant to the thread, it should double as a useful leveling pad under a tire for car camping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom