1HDFT & 1HDFTE observations-discussion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Soot in intake isn't just a 1HDFT/FTE engine thing, it's an emissions diesel thing. Firstly, run a catch can to keep the oil out of it, and secondly if you can, throw the EGR in the bin and blank it off.

Second what's already been said about the various iterations:

Early 1HDT - piston crown cracks, especially if pushed hard with performance mods, plus the BEB problem
Later 1HDT - piston issues sorted. Still some BEB issues. 3 hours labour and a $60 set of bearings, it's cheap insurance.

1HD-FT - a bit of a dog in factory trim but easy fix with a bit of a play with the boost compensator. No internal issues, just keep on top of timing belt etc. As these are interference engines and not forgiving. Lose the emissions gear and install a decent turbo and fun times.

1HD-FTE - the best Diesel engine Toyota ever made. Similar comments to FT

These engines appreciate easy breathing (like any I guess) but the factory dump and exhaust is very restrictive. 3" from the turbo back gives you boost at least 300 rpm earlier.

Most people don't maintain the fuel system like they should. IMHO injectors should be looked at every 100,000 km and the pump at 300,000. A lot of times it won't seem to have anything wrong but from my experience you're leaving efficiency on the table by neglecting this. (Specifically mechanical engines rather than EFI) Seems the first part of the pump to wear is the advance mechanism, so as the RPMs increase the timing doesn't increase proportionally. This puts EGT through the roof and makes it very lazy.

On the FTE pumps there is a common fault when they have a manual trans behind where they will hold revs during a gear shift, quite annoying. Seems to be a calibration issue in (I think, @Indestructible 47 will confirm as this is one of his specialties) the spill control valve. The tolerance is incredibly tight and seems many rebuilders either don't know how or can't be bothered getting it right.

Sorry for the jumbled rave, hopefully makes some sort of sense

Last edited:
On the FTE pumps there is a common fault when they have a manual trans behind where they will hold revs during a gear shift, quite annoying. Seems to be a calibration issue in (I think, @Indestructible 47 will confirm as this is one of his specialties) the spill control valve. The tolerance is incredibly tight and seems many rebuilders either don't know how or can't be bothered getting it right.

This "rev hang" thing is a result of a fly by wire throttle and a basic ECU. It will never be as responsive as a throttle cable unfortunately, just nature of the beast.

I'm still researching the FTE IP, seems to be a common trait with rebuilt IPs that they prematurely give problems, related to the EFI side of things, the spill control valve ect. Although reliability isn't normally affected, it does become irksome to drive, especially with a manual trans.

@AussieHJCruza ..... “1HD-FTE - the best engine Toyota ever made. Similar comments to FT”.
———————————————————————————————-
(Not saying you are not correct but what is the above opinion based on?)
Thanks

@AussieHJCruza ..... “1HD-FTE - the best engine Toyota ever made. Similar comments to FT”.
———————————————————————————————-
(Not saying you are not correct but what is the above opinion based on?)
Thanks
Nothing particularly scientific, but more so observations from having hung around them for a while.

Bulletproof bottom end, very smooth power delivery, a lot less 'peaky' than the V8 and also consistently better fuel economy, along with much more affordable maintenance parts than a common rail engine, ie injectors etc.

Also if you're so inclined, 1000 rwnm without too much difficulty!

Q
Nothing particularly scientific, but more so observations from having hung around them for a while.

Bulletproof bottom end, very smooth power delivery, a lot less 'peaky' than the V8 and also consistently better fuel economy, along with much more affordable maintenance parts than a common rail engine, ie injectors etc.

Yeah the maintenance costs are rarely mentioned.
I've had my FT for 16 years as my only vehicle. It now has nearly 310000 miles on the clock.
Engine untouched other than filters and belt changes.

Oh, I replaced the ACSD, which most people delete anyway and water pump at about 250000.

Q

Yeah the maintenance costs are rarely mentioned.
I've had my FT for 16 years as my only vehicle. It now has nearly 310000 miles on the clock.
Engine untouched other than filters and belt changes.

Oh, I replaced the ACSD, which most people delete anyway and water pump at about 250000.
Yeah, agree 100%. I had injector troubles on my 1VD (knew it was coming up when I bought it so not exactly a suprise) and the cheapest I could get new Densos was about $650 AUD each, plus the top end gasket kit and fuel lines etc you need to replace at the same time. Toyota wanted about $1100 each for the genuine injectors. Ouch!

This "rev hang" thing is a result of a fly by wire throttle and a basic ECU. It will never be as responsive as a throttle cable unfortunately, just nature of the beast.

I'm still researching the FTE IP, seems to be a common trait with rebuilt IPs that they prematurely give problems, related to the EFI side of things, the spill control valve ect. Although reliability isn't normally affected, it does become irksome to drive, especially with a manual trans.

One of two issues here:
1) part of it is deliberate deceleration control. http://gershon.ucoz.com/Denso/injpumpECDV3-5/tnvddenso-s-klap.pdf
2) there is a speed sensor in the pump that needs calibration.

I will amend that slightly for you, the 1HDFTE is the best Diesel engine Toyota ever made, and in the top 3 overall common Toyota motors. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love the FT/FTE engines, just hard to go past the 2JZ and 3SGTE... (and I’m not including the LFA v10 or some of the race engines as their not really available to most people).
In some regards I think I prefer the FT motor, but depends what your criteria is. I mean the FTE is a better motor overall, but the FT is probably a touch more reliable and at least here in Australia came from the factory without EGR which is a big plus over the FTE

Interesting thread !

Here in ZA and surrounds there have been quite a few reports of FT motors dropping valve cotters ... unlike the FTE or HDT motors - regular adjustment every 40 000 kms seems to help. Many folks prefer the 1HDT for low down torque ...

Which is funny, because the complaint about the FT when it was introduced was that it didn’t make max torque until 2500 rpm.
Very easily fixed with a tickle to the boost compensator

Lol the FT on paper might have its peak at 2500rpm but it still matches the DT's torque at 1400rpm, it just holds on longer whereas the DT drops off. Keep in mind that's also factory spec, the DT simply can't match the FT at any rpm once you start tuning it for better performance and not worrying about the emissions that the FT pump was setup to pass. Also nearly every FT I've seen that dropped a valve was due to incorrect valve adjustment technique used. Most that have checked their FT's valves find they never go out of spec and don't need adjusting anyways.

I will amend that slightly for you, the 1HDFTE is the best Diesel engine Toyota ever made, and in the top 3 overall common Toyota motors. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love the FT/FTE engines, just hard to go past the 2JZ and 3SGTE... (and I’m not including the LFA v10 or some of the race engines as their not really available to most people).
In some regards I think I prefer the FT motor, but depends what your criteria is. I mean the FTE is a better motor overall, but the FT is probably a touch more reliable and at least here in Australia came from the factory without EGR which is a big plus over the FTE

New Zealand got 1HD-FTE's without EGR in the first generation (4sp auto). I think by the time they were updated to 5sp auto they all had EGR.

I agree they're the most reliable and best behaved diesel Toyota have made. If they'd put a better factory turbo on them fuel economy and torque could have been even better.

Well I am going through an FTE right now on the bottom end.

It has around 250,000kms.

So far bottom end bearings are well within specs, very little wear on them. Cylinder bores look excellent too although I have not measured them yet. Crank doesn’t even need a polish it looks so good. I have checked the top of the block for true and it’s good to go.

Not really doing a rebuild on this one as it doesn’t appear to need it. But to get it cleaned up right and painted right pulling the pistons was best. It will get new BEB and rings.

Cheers

155k-165k miles doesn’t seem like enough to warrant a tear down. For paint: sure, I guess.

155k-165k miles doesn’t seem like enough to warrant a tear down. For paint: sure, I guess.

It had low compression, I suspect from valves being fouled by 3/4” of carbon and soot. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

For anyone interested here is the FTE with 250,000kms.

CE8DA924-15A4-4FF9-B20E-647A6D481831.jpeg

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom