1981 FJ43 - Izzy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tactegra.com
Quick intro, name is Izzy and I just got an FJ43 a couple weeks ago. Have been scouring this forum for information both before and after the purchase as I am not as familiar with FJ40s. Anyway, here it is...
ddr.jpg

Was able to register it in NC with no problems. Bought it from Gateway Classics in Orlando. The truck is a driver, but needs a lot of work as I expected.
e.jpg

I have a long list of to dos, like the basic fluid baselining etc. Have done the oil and coolant, moving on to drive train next.
The gauges do not work, well, nothing it connected to it besides the alternator. So added some quick aftermarket temp and oil pressure gauges and seems to be working fine, 180F and 60 psi. Ran the motor for 3 hours before changing the oil. There is no speedo and the fuel sending unit has no wires to it, so no fuel. Got a new speedo and hope to hook that up next few days.

w.jpg

Was having some light issues and a new light switch fixed all that. Brake light switch needs adjustment and a new spring, but otherwise good to go.
It has aftermarket AC but he defrost ducts are missing, got some 2.5" flex Doorman on the way.

q.jpg

Last edited:
Also has brake disks on all corners, but no parking brake. Handle is on the floor. Will have to figure out alternative to it. Brakes need help, got some hoses coming from partsouq later this week.
Also, as best I can tell, the shipper used ratchet straps that he wrapped around the front axles and crushed the hard brake lines. Seem hard to find so will be making my own this weekend too.
r.jpg

Got a new windshield wiper switch too, as the one there has one position, slow. Installed the new one but I got zero movement, so will have to trace those wires, see what they did there. There is no washer bottle, but found one on ebay with the bracket (and coolant overflow) so that will go in soon. Then wiper washer nozzle, which no gots.... And while I was in that corner, added a horn that was also missing.

Steering! The shaft was secure with a hose clamp....Noticed that when I was working on the PS pump and reservoir. The clamp wont even tight down, anyway, got a collar lock coming to replace that thing....Field repairs I guess....

t.jpg

Havent driven it much, will get it off the ground and check/test the 4WD system, hubs, etc when I get a good block of time. But, driving around the neighborhood, it is sweet. 5 Speed transmission too.

Some of the bling bling pics from the dealer:

1776a.jpg

1776vvv.jpg

1776w.jpg

I have continued to baseline and fix all the little things I can, and unravelling the wiring messes that defy logic.
  • New tail lights and wiring
  • All lubricants changed
  • New coolant
  • Interior lights
  • battery tie down
  • polished windshield
  • new head light switch
  • replaced brake pedal spring, pedal was not returning properly
  • install accel pedal spring (none came with it)
  • New wiper switch and cleaned/re-soldered motor contacts (but still only works on first position)
I do have a couple of questions I couldn't find answer for:
  1. Added speedo cable, tested it by spinning with a drill and speedometer worked. But I have no input while driving. Could it be the gear is missing in the transfer case? Does that part simply pulls out after removing the tab?
  2. What size is the clutch slave cylinder bleeder? The one there is rounded and need to replace it
  3. Fuel sender works, tested it and can tell how much gas I have based on FSM resistance values. Can I simply get a wire to the fuel gage post (on the cluster) from the sender and ground the other post to read fuel level? Trying to avoid an aftermarket fuel gage.
  4. Hazards where working fine before changing the tail lights. Both blinkers work perfectly, but not the hazard. Is that likely the switch gave up the ghost?
Thanks in advanced. Have been driving the tuck a bit, and it is a blast. Still need to replace brake lines and the steering rod tubes are bent like bananas. But still a whole lot of fun. I do love driving my 80, but the 43 is just an adventure.

Have question on the speedo gear. My truck had the type A sleeve, and according to the instruction there is no seals used with it? Not sure if I am understanding this right though. I just inserted the metal geared shaft into the sleeve and then that to the transfer case. I thought at least the black piece (which looks like a seal) would be replaced. But nothing that came in the kit did fit it.

1610985037781.png

Have question on the speedo gear. My truck had the type A sleeve, and according to the instruction there is no seals used with it? Not sure if I am understanding this right though. I just inserted the metal geared shaft into the sleeve and then that to the transfer case. I thought at least the black piece (which looks like a seal) would be replaced. But nothing that came in the kit did fit it.

View attachment 2556988
Did you get your speedometer working? I am having similar multitude of issues with my 43. Wiring being the current main problem. Wondering if I should just get the whole thing required. Nothing on my dash works, except dash light!

Hey Wyatt, I did but never got an answer here. Started this thread to document the work Old Truck for Old Guy - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/old-truck-for-old-guy.1235964/. The speedo works most of the time. I got the fuel gauge connected and working. For water temp and oil pressure, added aftermarket gauges. I did take the cluster off to see whats going on. The speedo cable being mechanical connects directly to transfer case. It leaks on mine, I am sure I didn't install the right o-ring as I have no idea which to use. But at least I get an idea of speed.

by the way, I hope to be in Uwharrie Saturday for the trail open event, if you are around then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom