Nitro gears: 4.88 or 5.29? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am stepping up to Black Rhino 17” wheels and Yokohama New MTs in 35”. I am heavy fully loaded. Would it be better to do 4.88 or 5.29 I like to drive at and average speed of 70 mph on hwy. comments suggestions???

You’ll be screaming doing 70 with 5.29’s and 35” tires. I’d bet almost 3,700 rpms. 4.56 gears should get you closer to the same performance as the stock 4.10s and OEM tire size. Maybe 4.88’s if you live or are always driving in a mountainous area.
When I regeared, I spoke directly to Carl, owner of Nitro. He steered me to 4:88 as being the “sweet spot for 35’s.” After 50k miles, I can’t argue. Lots of freeway. Lots of trails. Feels ideal. Only wish I had an extra 100hp to push everything.

Go with 5.29s. You'll regret anything else. IMO

I would not do 5.29's with 35's if you plan to do much freeway driving. RPMs will be much higher than you want for just cruising. One other thing to consider is that the shift points change if you have gears that aren't matched to the tire size. 4.56 gears are the closest match for 35's. I have 4.88's with 35's and it drove well but the shift points and speedo were off. If you think you might possibly step up to 37's at some point, 4.88's are a perfect match for 37's. I get 37's just over a year ago and the truck feels even better than it did with the 35's and guess what? Shift points and speedo are accurate again.

If your 80 will primarily be a trail rig, then 5.29s might be ok. Personally, I'd do 4.88's and if you felt like you wanted something lower for the trails, then get the low range t-case gear upgrade.

Tons of threads on this. Agree w/ @Box Rocket 2nd paragraph. Although 4,56’s may be technically correct for certain setups, generally not considered worth the $ and effort for an 80 and significantly limit future options.

just got my Nitro 4.88’s done by Cruiser Outfitters. Cant wait to try em out!

4.88 for 35’s is appropriate. I have 5.29 for 37” tires and it works for daily driving and mountains. 5.29 with 35’s will be 3,000+rpm going down highway.

I would not do 5.29's with 35's if you plan to do much freeway driving. RPMs will be much higher than you want for just cruising. One other thing to consider is that the shift points change if you have gears that aren't matched to the tire size. 4.56 gears are the closest match for 35's. I have 4.88's with 35's and it drove well but the shift points and speedo were off. If you think you might possibly step up to 37's at some point, 4.88's are a perfect match for 37's. I get 37's just over a year ago and the truck feels even better than it did with the 35's and guess what? Shift points and speedo are accurate again.

If your 80 will primarily be a trail rig, then 5.29s might be ok. Personally, I'd do 4.88's and if you felt like you wanted something lower for the trails, then get the low range t-case gear upgrade.
$100 for a plug and play speedometer correction and the shift point issues disappear

So if I do 4.88's I can start with 35's. then without more lift I can do 37's??? Would 37's with 4.88's feel like Stock with 33's????

I am more of an Overlander so I drive 85% HWY 15% Trails...specially Baja were it is mainly washboard roads. Of course I do a lot of Utah trails but not too technical worst would be Elephant Hill.

As mentioned there are tons of threads on this topic. I’m a big fan of 4.88 with 35’s. It allows me to go 80 mph and it’s geared just a bit lower than factory. Add a yellow box to get the speedo spot on and everything will feel and behave like it should.

Would 37's with 4.88's feel like Stock with 33's????

yes in my experience. I find the 35s 4.88 combo a bit too buzzy at hwy speeds. 37s palpably calms it down to near stock like feel if you run a quality AT tire.

I wouldn’t have understood this if I didn’t actually do it myself. 30k miles on the 35s. Now about 2-3k miles on the 37s. There’s no way I’m going back to 35s 4.88s.

I run 5.29 ans 35" tires. I dont need to go 80.. runs down the highway very nicely at 70-75. No rush.

i did 5.29s on 37s at sea level. thing pulls like crazy but is getting up in the RPMs on the highway. mine is only for riding around town and trail use. it gets loaded on the trailer to go anywhere far away. not because of the rpms, because i am stupid and my right foot tears up stuff.

I run 5.29 ans 35" tires. I dont need to go 80.. runs down the highway very nicely at 70-75. No rush.
What are your RPM at 70 to 75 mph?

yes in my experience. I find the 35s 4.88 combo a bit too buzzy at hwy speeds. 37s palpably calms it down to near stock like feel if you run a quality AT tire.

I wouldn’t have understood this if I didn’t actually do it myself. 30k miles on the 35s. Now about 2-3k miles on the 37s. There’s no way I’m going back to 35s 4.88s.
Interesting....
(and why I gave myself the option with 4.88’s of moving up to 37” class later if desired)

All on AT’s, don’t run MT’s?

What are your RPM at 70 to 75 mph?
Im under 3000. IMO, for my setup, 70 is an ideal speed. It does not feel like im pushing it at all. My wife will push to 75. We have had the gears in for over 70,000 miles. I'm very happy with it and would do it again. I use a scan gauge to monitor the vitals.

We are running 35' BFG AT KO2. 3rd set of tires with this gearing.

Im under 3000. IMO, for my setup, 70 is an ideal speed. It does not feel like im pushing it at all. My wife will push to 75. We have had the gears in for over 70,000 miles. I'm very happy with it and would do it again. I use a scan gauge to monitor the vitals.

We are running 35' BFG AT KO2. 3rd set of tires with this gearing.
Lots of opinions ITT saying the opposite. I had 35s/4.88s in my last truck and while it was night and day compared to stock gearing with 35s, it always felt like a little more gear would be nice. Like many, my truck is heavy and I may tow a very light camper in the future...like you, I have little need to do 80 on the highway, though 70-75 is nice. 4.88s vs. 5.29s has been a tough call. Thanks for sharing.

When I regeared, I spoke directly to Carl, owner of Nitro. He steered me to 4:88 as being the “sweet spot for 35’s.” After 50k miles, I can’t argue. Lots of freeway. Lots of trails. Feels ideal. Only wish I had an extra 100hp to push everything.

THIS! I just regeared after having 35"s with my stock gears and I am almost back to the same MPG and shift points when I was at with stock wheels... its night and day! Everything Ive read and heard says 4.56 is def not worth it, given the time and cost. 4.88 is perfect! and could even take me to 37s down the road I feel. The caclulations Ive seen with RPMs and tire size also put 4.88 at about 6% shy of stock if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom