Help installing Icon stage 1/wrench day? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I started the project and see that I’m in a little over my head. I don’t have my tools or garage like I did in Alaska otherwise this would be an easy project.

I’ve disconnected the sway bars and lower shock bolt. broke the driver lower shock bolt, and haven’t attempted the passenger, it’s soaking)
Even with full drop I can’t seem to get the rear spring in. So I put it all back together and will wait until I have some help.

Anyone interested in the next month helping with the install?

Or any suggestions for a good shop with a reasonable rate to do the install?

Also, anyone ever break one of these bolts off, And how did you manage to fix it? I know, drill it out and easy out or tap. Just Wondering if anyone has any tips

Thank You.
Isaac
907-230-5781

1360B765-E77F-46A9-B7EC-C20E26D3E542.jpeg

0D9335E4-3B93-4387-8DE2-C3EFBAA71FB8.jpeg

8AD16ECE-5302-4134-B891-40269A1C9EC3.jpeg

924F999F-AF66-4D91-873B-ABD9BF382D31.jpeg

44BA6106-C947-4C5A-92F2-640D88E89452.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd say drill and tap. I had that happen on 3 of 4 frame bolts removing my bump stops. Try to use an impact gun to bust the other one free. Saved a lot of rusty bolts on my 60.

How big of lift are you putting in? Once the sway bar comes off and the shocks are off it should pretty much fall out.

How big of lift are you putting in? Once the sway bar comes off and the shocks are off it should pretty much fall out.
Only 3 inches, I was just a little Defeated when I broke the bolt. I didn’t have both sides out yet. After I get the broken bolt out I’ll try to disconnect both sides of the sway bars and shocks.

While the truck is on the ground, remove the sway bar end links and the other shock lower and upper mount. Be aware of your soft brake line and e-brake cable. When you lift the truck up into the air, you should easily be able to slide out the old coil and replace with new lift coil. If needed just sit on the end of the axle and use your weight to push down for an extra inch or so.

With the broken bolt, try and get a centering punch in there that is close to the ID of that tube and whack it to give you a nice center. (I'm sure HF sells center punches?). You just want a nice center point for drilling. Take your time and work your way up with drill bits. I use a left handed drill bit set, as once in a blue moon they catch the bolt and will screw it out... but a regular set will just be fine.

Get a propane torch adapter that will screw on to a 1 lb propane tank and heat the tube up as well. (Cheap and easy, It works for me and is great to have on the trails).

Where are you located? I can help on Thursday. After that I'm free on Sunday, possibly Saturday too. Done a suspension or two in the past, or I'm really, really good at passing tools, making smart ass comments, and providing general moral support. Whatever you need. If this week or weekend doesn't work for you I'll keep an eye on this thread to see when you can get back at this project.

We may be wrenching this Sunday. Will update.

While the truck is on the ground, remove the sway bar end links and the other shock lower and upper mount. Be aware of your soft brake line and e-brake cable. When you lift the truck up into the air, you should easily be able to slide out the old coil and replace with new lift coil. If needed just sit on the end of the axle and use your weight to push down for an extra inch or so.

With the broken bolt, try and get a centering punch in there that is close to the ID of that tube and whack it to give you a nice center. (I'm sure HF sells center punches?). You just want a nice center point for drilling. Take your time and work your way up with drill bits. I use a left handed drill bit set, as once in a blue moon they catch the bolt and will screw it out... but a regular set will just be fine.

Get a propane torch adapter that will screw on to a 1 lb propane tank and heat the tube up as well. (Cheap and easy, It works for me and is great to have on the trails).
Thank You for the advice, I love the certer punch idea as well.

Where are you located? I can help on Thursday. After that I'm free on Sunday, possibly Saturday too. Done a suspension or two in the past, or I'm really, really good at passing tools, making smart ass comments, and providing general moral support. Whatever you need. If this week or weekend doesn't work for you I'll keep an eye on this thread to see when you can get back at this project.
I’m in Serra Mesa next to Montgomery airport. Heading to Colorado for Christmas and work at 1pm on the weekends. Off Thursday Friday.

Hit the broken part with Aero Kroil or similar it really helps.
So I drilled out the broken bolt and broke the easy out. So.... what next 🤣
Also got an impact and it was no problem getting the other side out.

B4C16106-91A8-439F-9938-43BF93696E8F.jpeg

EFE457BB-B533-4900-AE93-6F20BAEB8AA2.jpeg

My next step would be to drill it out completely. I had this happen to 3 frame bolts and had to drill and re tap. It isn't the worst of things to do, just time consuming. I would suggest finding a drill bit about half the size of the bolt and drill all the way through then step up size by size until it starts to fall apart or come loose.

I would suggest buying the right tap for it as well and run it through after to ensure you are good to go. You can check the thread pitch off the other bolt but my guess would be M10X1.25 or M12X1.50 You should obviously check and ve sure but that is just my guess.

It does go all the way through correct?

My next step would be to drill it out completely. I had this happen to 3 frame bolts and had to drill and re tap. It isn't the worst of things to do, just time consuming. I would suggest finding a drill bit about half the size of the bolt and drill all the way through then step up size by size until it starts to fall apart or come loose.

I would suggest buying the right tap for it as well and run it through after to ensure you are good to go. You can check the thread pitch off the other bolt but my guess would be M10X1.25 or M12X1.50 You should obviously check and ve sure but that is just my guess.

Thanks for the reply, it doesn’t go through. Also I couldn’t seem to drill through the hardened steel of the easy out, I didn’t think one could, however I didn’t try too much.

Last edited:
I highly recommend Ty at Hi Tech Automotive... and he's literally right next to Montgomery Airport. They do good work for good prices and never try to rip you off.

If in the North county are, Bent Motorsports, never done me wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom