Building from the Base...what would you do with 6K budget? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With $6k, I'd spend that all on a refresh and baseline on the rig. Just to make sure it drives close to new and it's as dependable as I can get it. That emptied about $6k for me.

I was once exactly in your shoes thinking I had $ for mods with my 2002 that had 170k miles at the time. Well, get your rig up to 100% spec before spending it on mods. That's the best thing you can do. Mods are pretty worthless when your 100 is old and worn out needing a bunch of stuff.

Even if you claim your 100 was maintained to the T, there's always something.

The best off-road experience isn't a modded up 100. They are nice to have but the best off-road experience is on a baselined, up to spec, 4x4 because it takes a lot of question out of the equation. Like previous comments have said before the stock 100 is a pretty damn good and capable 4x4.
Listen to this ^ 100% agree.

You guys are making me doubt my KO2 purchase from earlier this year. I was actually leaning toward the Toyo at one time but they were more expensive and the KO2 is like the default recommendation. Oh well.
I still think the KO2 is a solid choice, just looking to potentially shake it up. The first ~30k or so of this set was flawless. Now I'm around 35k and it's a little noisy from 20-40mph and silent above that. My previous KO set was flawless up to around 45k when they got a little noisy at all speeds. Drive happy, it's all good. :)

Lots of KO2 knocking but these guys are wheeling their 100s (or 200s) pretty hard. KO2s are gonna be great for most folks.

After slowly building over the last 3 or so years I would prioritize:
1) Any necessary maintinence
2) Sliders and tires
3) storage/fridge
4) front bumper or other winch system
5) Suspension - I am at the point now where I am really trying to dial in the best suspension possible and guess what. It seems that shocks that cost more generally perform better.

Honestly I did the Front bumper/winch thing first when I should have done the rear bumper with a swingout and a ladder. Easier to carry a full size spare and use the ladder to get to the camping gear on the roof.

@srvn4u I have that one bookmarked but I actually dont have facebook so I cant seem to contact. I also remember that truck being up for sale a few weeks ago on another platform but I dont remember which one.

Edit: found the other ad on cars dot com (for 14k). Messaged him on there but unsure if VA gets rust. guess we'll see if he responds to my email regarding under carriage shots.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/830992913/overview/

In a perfect world I'd like to buy one from a mud member but everyone seems to be holding onto theirs at the moment.

Last edited:
$2-3k or less to baseline, all new fluids, any required maintenance, etc.
$1k for AT Tires
Put the rest towards gas (you'll need it) and enjoy it for a bit. See how you use it, and go from there. I put a fridge in early on and it actually changed our daily life. Our schedule is no longer dictated by the need to get home to put food/groceries in the fridge. Everybody's needs and wants are different. As much fun as it has been to install front and rear bumpers and a winch, I've never needed any of it (unless you count using the front bumper to mount my light bar). These rigs are quite capable as is, just need to see how you want to use it and what's important to you.

Do you want to overland or camp a lot and want a roof top tent? You may want an upgraded roof rack.

Do you want to get into remote places solo? You might invest in self recovery gear (eg. MaxxTrax or equivalent, winch, etc.).

Do you want to do more technical off roading or long drives at speed off road? You may want to invest in new suspension and maybe armor (front/rear bumpers, skid plates). Beware of rabbit hole here.

Do you want to run lots of accessories (lights, fridge, comms) while stopped? You may want to add an auxiliary battery and charging capability. I added a 2nd battery along with charger and solar panel. Keeps both batteries topped off even with fridge running all the time.

Do you have lots of things to throw in the back and want it to be organized? Consider a drawer system. Buy or build.

I think you're getting the idea.

These rigs are quite capable as is, just need to see how you want to use it and what's important to you.

Do you want to overland or camp a lot and want a roof top tent? You may want an upgraded roof rack.

Do you want to get into remote places solo? You might invest in self recovery gear (eg. MaxxTrax or equivalent, winch, etc.).

Do you want to do more technical off roading or long drives at speed off road? You may want to invest in new suspension and maybe armor (front/rear bumpers, skid plates). Beware of rabbit hole here.

Do you want to run lots of accessories (lights, fridge, comms) while stopped? You may want to add an auxiliary battery and charging capability. I added a 2nd battery along with charger and solar panel. Keeps both batteries topped off even with fridge running all the time.

Do you have lots of things to throw in the back and want it to be organized? Consider a drawer system. Buy or build.

I think you're getting the idea.
This is great advice for literally any hobby. To add to this (not specifically for OP but anyone reading): If you are new to off-roading/overlanding (or anything else), the first time you purchase any item (fridge, radio, rack, driving moccasins, etc.), you're going to learn everything you like and dislike about said item. I usually subscribe to the 'buy once, cry once' philosophy, but if you don't have any experience with what you're buying, you're likely going to realize that this item that was highly praised by others doesn't work for you because your use-case or preferences are slightly different. Just because something is universally lauded doesn't mean you will actually enjoy using it. Getting something second hand that you know you will eventually need to replace is not a bad option since whatever you buy, you will inevitably want to replace either way and it will be a far less costly lesson to learn at second hand prices.

TL;DR: Second hand gear/accessories can allow you to learn about your tastes/needs at a lower cost of entry.

Ok friends, I've taken bots and pieces of several posts in this thread and others. So far running boards removed, new springs, new shocks, new torsion bars, and new shoes are ready to be put on (LT275/70R18 Ridge Grapplers). Once the shoes are on Ill take update with pic. Thanks to 1428Mike for all the help this weekend and thanks in advance for the help you will be providing.

Dropped Running Boards.jpg

Added Springs - Copy.jpg

New shocks all around.jpg

Cleaning prior to indexing.jpg

Ridge Grapplers .jpg

I had a KO2 sidewall blowout driving through a HD parking lot. Wouldn't trust them going to far off-road. June 2017 MFD.

Ok friends, I've taken bots and pieces of several posts in this thread and others. So far running boards removed, new springs, new shocks, new torsion bars, and new shoes are ready to be put on (LT275/70R18 Ridge Grapplers). Once the shoes are on Ill take update with pic. Thanks to 1428Mike for all the help this weekend and thanks in advance for the help you will be providing.

View attachment 2549852

View attachment 2549853

View attachment 2549854

View attachment 2549855

View attachment 2549856
Love my FCP suspension! I've had it on since May and it rides smoother than stock, even with 34" MTs

I am going through this now, even though I bought '07 100-series back in May. It had 189k mi, so I did the TB/WP 1st thing. Just spent $1,000 on other maintenance (incl replacing the blower motor that was too noisy due to bumps & knocks on a trail drive int he Serra Nevada mountains). I'm still finalizing my build but based on what I learned ...

Agree with the earlier comment: armor & recovery. If you're going to do trails or any off roading with rocks, get a pair of sliders to replace the running boards. Skid plating is also important, even more so if you tackle rocky desert stuff. And ( I read here) it improves your gas mileage.

Replace the front bumper with one that supports a winch (unless, you know you always go with friends / 4WD club members you know will have you covered). Bull-bar and Sierra bar are fine, but get the winch sooner rather than alter.

The rear bumper depends on your tire selection. The 275/70/18's should fit in the spare for carrying the spare (if a bit snug). My 100 had an aftermarket trailer hitch, which took up 2-inches of space where the share goes. Fine for the stock 275/60's, but I can't fit a larger tire there. So I have to replace my bumper with one that has an integrated tow hitch receiver and, to be safe, will carry the spare. READ THE FINE PRINT: lots of replacement bumpers with tow hitch received where the manufacture specifically says that bumper is not designed for towing.

So I'm getting the rear bumper that holds the spare. I'm basically choosing between the ARB and Dissent Offroad (although Slee has one too), and the biggest factor may just be lead time.

Once I know I can hold the spare, I am planning on 275/70's too ... ~2 1/2 in larger than stock, getting at least another inch for the axle. I am interested in 295/70/18's but after reading an exhaustive thread (here), I plan to go through this set of 275/70's then replace the wheels with 16" and move to a fatter, thicker tire like a 315/75/16.

I am going through this now, even though I bought '07 100-series back in May. It had 189k mi, so I did the TB/WP 1st thing. Just spent $1,000 on other maintenance (incl replacing the blower motor that was too noisy due to bumps & knocks on a trail drive int he Serra Nevada mountains). I'm still finalizing my build but based on what I learned ...

Agree with the earlier comment: armor & recovery. If you're going to do trails or any off roading with rocks, get a pair of sliders to replace the running boards. Skid plating is also important, even more so if you tackle rocky desert stuff. And ( I read here) it improves your gas mileage.

Replace the front bumper with one that supports a winch (unless, you know you always go with friends / 4WD club members you know will have you covered). Bull-bar and Sierra bar are fine, but get the winch sooner rather than alter.

The rear bumper depends on your tire selection. The 275/70/18's should fit in the spare for carrying the spare (if a bit snug). My 100 had an aftermarket trailer hitch, which took up 2-inches of space where the share goes. Fine for the stock 275/60's, but I can't fit a larger tire there. So I have to replace my bumper with one that has an integrated tow hitch receiver and, to be safe, will carry the spare. READ THE FINE PRINT: lots of replacement bumpers with tow hitch received where the manufacture specifically says that bumper is not designed for towing.

So I'm getting the rear bumper that holds the spare. I'm basically choosing between the ARB and Dissent Offroad (although Slee has one too), and the biggest factor may just be lead time.

Once I know I can hold the spare, I am planning on 275/70's too ... ~2 1/2 in larger than stock, getting at least another inch for the axle. I am interested in 295/70/18's but after reading an exhaustive thread (here), I plan to go through this set of 275/70's then replace the wheels with 16" and move to a fatter, thicker tire like a 315/75/16.
Dissent bumpers are awesome. I'd highly recommend working with Ben.

275/70 are super easy. Zero effort needed to fit and run them. 295/70 moves you into "work for it" territory. 16's will give you a bunch of extra sidewall for extra cush offroad. Not great on road, but real nice on a trail.

Good luck!

Ironman Foam Cel Pro suspension

Which version did you get? The 0-440 load or the 440-880 load? I've got the springs for the 440-880 load right now, but may get the 0-440 springs separately until I get a rear bumper.

Baseline Maintenance and then drive it for 10K miles before buying/installing any modification was the best advice I received. Read the thread, "If I had to do it all over again, which mods." Then ask yourself, where does your 100 series spend most of its time: on or off-road.

I'd keep the running boards on as an "early warning" crunch alert. Matter of fact, if using for anything other than rock crawling/extreme overlanding, i would keep due to a) weight b) cost of sliders.

Ask me how I know...doh!
This is my thoughts as well. The minute you hear that rub, you know you’re going too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom