Upgrades for off roofing my 1999 Lexus lx 470 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I have a 1999 Lexus lx 470. I am new to the off roading world and wanted some help with a few upgrades that I could possibly do. This Lexus IS also my daily driver so I don’t want to do anything that would effect it’s performance too much on the road. I mostly drive it on the road but I also occasionally take it to the snow, muddying, and camping. I also don’t want to do anything that would destroy it from being original like drilling hole and what not. I am looking first for new rims and bigger tires. I currently have the stock rims and some tires that fit them. I am not sure how big of tires I can get without needing a lift kit, it wearing down the car too much, or effecting the smooth drive. Second, I am looking for a bumper I think I have found one that I like but if anyone has any recommendations that would be appreciated. Third, I am looking for a light bar, or light boxes that I could get without having to drill any holes into my car. Thanks!

welcome to mud

Plenty of bumper, lift, light discussions:

:deadhorse:

It will do what you need it to do stock. Drive it, learn it, and then start adjusting where you need. You do not need bumpers, etc. for a long time, if at all. Good recovery gear, up to date maintenance and a factory spare with air in it will get you more places than most ever take their land cruisers. A tool kit with the right items, an air pump and reasonable emergency kit will also go a long way to keeping you safe.

Despite what the youtube and instashammers tell you, you do not need to spend twice what the car is worth to go camp or off-road with it. It's promoted by them for money from the sponsors who give them free stuff to then sell you the myth that you need all of it.

I agree that you don't need much other than some decent all terrain tires to do what you need it to do. You can do 285/75's at stock height with no lift or cutting needed.

If you go with a front bumper you will need to get the AHC pressures back in spec with Techstream if you want the ride to stay the same and the AHC to last.(search "how to techstream in 5 minutes on here)

Tires, sliders, send it.

Also floor liners and a CB cant hurt. Grab a fire extinguisher and a tow strap + shackles and you will be legal to go to most offroad parks if you so choose to (should really have these things anyway). A set of tire deflators and a compressor complete the introductory package.

and get sliders before a bumper. People told me that and I didn't listen. I have almost slammed my rockers multiple times but only hit my bumper like once

Eye of the beholder kind of thing, but IMO skids before sliders. You can drive home with rocker damage, but puncturing your transmission pan off-road requires more creativity.
I'd agree and say anything that contains or transports a fluid should be protected to avoid being punctured first and foremost. Unless you enjoy chatting it up with a random AAA driver once you actually get the rig to a towable location.

Failed snap rings though? Plenty of bodge solutions available to get you home safely, and on the cheap!

Eye of the beholder kind of thing, but IMO skids before sliders. You can drive home with rocker damage, but puncturing your transmission pan off-road requires more creativity.
If you’re trailing stuff that involves dragging your underbelly... you should have full armor.

for most folks, sliders first. Full skids are like the last bit of armor you should get.

and get sliders before a bumper. People told me that and I didn't listen. I have almost slammed my rockers multiple times but only hit my bumper like once
I drag my rear bumper over all sorts of stuff. Sliders and rear are important. Front isn’t really a big deal, never hit it on anything

A lot of good advice here. A little two years ago when I got my LX, it was stock and I had no prior offroading experience. In the last 2 years, I have made many changes (not all of which improved the truck!) and have had quite a few outings in the wild.
I recommend spending your money in this order:
  • Take care of any maintenance needed (think of heater Ts, engine, transmission, front ad rear diff fluids, refresh coolant etc.).
  • Put all terrain or mud terrain tires. 31.5" is the factory size and will not modify the on road behavior. 33" will fit without modifications but will make the car a little slower. YOUR STOCK WHEELS ARE AMONG THE LIGHTEST AND STRONGEST WHEELS AVAILBLE -> NO NEED FOR AFTERMARKET ONES!
  • Buy recovery gear. You can get pretty decent recovery gear kit for about $200. It would pay for itself the first time it helps you get out of a sticky situation!
  • Go on a few rides with a local club or some friends and get a feel for your truck
  • If you still have money burning a hole in your pocket,
    • get some rock sliders (the strong metal bars that protect the lower edge of your doors)
    • Get some underbody protection (skid plates)
A suspension lift, front or rear bumpers, a snorkel, and other bling inside and outside have their own place but trust me you will be fine without them for a very long time! The front and rear bumpers are plastic and can take quite a bit of abuse so don't worry about them too much.

Reactions: jLB
Never heard of off roofing before, sounds fun.

All you truck needs is a tank of gas to conquer the majority of what it sounds like you will be doing. A set of decent tires will solve your mudding application. Sounds like you just want to make it look a bit more off road-y

Hi, I have a 1999 Lexus lx 470. I am new to the off roading world and wanted some help with a few upgrades that I could possibly do. This Lexus IS also my daily driver so I don’t want to do anything that would effect it’s performance too much on the road. I mostly drive it on the road but I also occasionally take it to the snow, muddying, and camping. I also don’t want to do anything that would destroy it from being original like drilling hole and what not. I am looking first for new rims and bigger tires. I currently have the stock rims and some tires that fit them. I am not sure how big of tires I can get without needing a lift kit, it wearing down the car too much, or effecting the smooth drive. Second, I am looking for a bumper I think I have found one that I like but if anyone has any recommendations that would be appreciated. Third, I am looking for a light bar, or light boxes that I could get without having to drill any holes into my car. Thanks!
Welcome
Looking at the title of this thread and wanted to ask how you ended up with the LX470 on the roof ?

"Upgrades for off roofing my 1999 Lexus lx 470"​

Did make me read the thread .... and gave me a nice chuckle ...

Regarding helpful advice ...
Listen to the folks here ... read the links Somebodyelse5 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/members/somebodyelse5.97310/
and others have suggested ....

THIS. ask me how i know.

my previous 100 series from a couple years back. note the arb front bumper and slee rear bumper..., then note the rocker panel dents without sliders. i definately learned from my mistakes.

Sliders before bumpers is a must.

42480144835_c461a33ca5_k.jpg

THIS. ask me how i know.

my previous 100 series from a couple years back. note the arb front bumper and slee rear bumper..., then note the rocker panel dents without sliders. i definately learned from my mistakes.

Sliders before bumpers is a must.

View attachment 2554133

Tough to say this applies to everyone, generally speaking most people may not get tippy enough to worry about needing sliders or armor. OP described a mostly on road life with occasional camping and mudding.

Maybe putting some money into some drawers and camping comforts before armor.

Tough to say this applies to everyone, generally speaking most people may not get tippy enough to worry about needing sliders or armor. OP described a mostly on road life with occasional camping and mudding.

Iv’e banged sliders on flat trails, nothing tippy... it’s really nice insurance for folks learning. Especially if bumpers are in your future... it’s easy to fix a bumper or buy a new skin from someone. Repairing rockers and doors is no trivial task

Iv’e banged sliders on flat trails, nothing tippy... it’s really nice insurance for folks learning. Especially if bumpers are in your future... it’s easy to fix a bumper or buy a new skin from someone. Repairing rockers and doors is no trivial task

Yeah good point, maybe tippy wasn't the right word.
Just saying... the initial description is for ways to better handle mostly on road driving with occasional camping, don't think sliders and bumpers are first on the list of upgrades to accomplish that.

Seems like many peoples first post are, hey I just got my land cruiser I am going to throw big tires and bumpers on it with no concept of what they really need based on their driving.

Maybe baseline maintenance / fluids first.

If you’re trailing stuff that involves dragging your underbelly... you should have full armor.

for most folks, sliders first. Full skids are like the last bit of armor you should get.

I disagree with the order of modifications, but in OP's case it is trivial as he doesn't need any of this stuff yet and everyone has their own way of doing things.

True, my post applies to anyone planning on building it out for harder trails. if its a camp rig/fire road rig then i agree, put that 1,000 towards other gear that will be functional. but i better not see a bumper on there haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom