Odd valve spring retainer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
fj40bugcatcher.dyndns.org
Adjusting valves on my 1962 FJ40, I noticed the valve stem and retainer looks out of place compared to others. I'm sure it's been like this for years, but I just never noticed. I'm also pulled a pushrod that was slightly bent years ago. #7 valve is the culprit.

20201219_183057.jpg

Looks like the keepers just weren't installed properly on that one. I would just try to reset them on that one valve.

Yes. You can make or buy a fitting that goes in the spark plug hole for compressed air. Get that cylinder with both valve closed and put air to the cylinder. Then use a motorcycle valve spring compressor. You can also bend some wire, etc to put in the plug hole and push up on the valve. Just don’t let the valve fall in if the piston isn’t at the top of its stroke.
1608432827019.jpeg

Do you know the history of this motor? Looks like at some point in time someone reworked the head, came up short on a pair of keepers and used what was available at the time. It’s been like that for how long?

Do you know the history of this motor? Looks like at some point in time someone reworked the head, came up short on a pair of keepers and used what was available at the time. It’s been like that for how long?

I've owned this for 20 years and back around 2005 I had the engine rebuilt as it had been sitting for probably that long before I rescued her. I do recall seeing this, but forgot about it until this week when I pulled the valve cover.

The top groove on the valve stem is visible. It could be the wrong keepers but I'd still suspect they were simply not put in properly.
Keepers 02.jpg

That tie wrap is interesting.
Keepers B 02.jpg

The top groove on the valve stem is visible. It could be the wrong keepers but I'd still suspect they were simply not put in properly.
View attachment 2529719

That tie wrap is interesting.
View attachment 2529721

Yea, I noticed that too. Hopefully it just needs reseated correctly.

Zip tie is holding tag in place. There's a second one on the other side of the rocker arm assembly. Not sure if that was there when I bought it or not?

Maybe placed there when t u e engine was rebuilt.

I would remove the zip-ties. Heat and age will degrade it to failure and you don't want that.

Finally back to the valves....

So it looks like the wrong keeper was used, at least with this valve. Valve stem is a dual groove and the keeper looks like it is designed for a single.

Does anyone have some of these they would be willing to part with?

So far SOR is the only one who has these, but they want $16.00 to ship a $5.00 part.

Are compatible keepers available through any other manufacturer?

Robert

20210101_143624.jpg

20210101_143646.jpg

So it looks like the wrong keeper was used
Probably, but myself, I would have to pull a pair from another valve just to confirm.
And I think we all would like to see the comparison pics. They might even make it to the wall of shame. :)

Pulled a couple others off. Oddly enough it appears the valve is a different design type.

Wondering if it would be best to just throw it all back together since there has been no problems?

20210102_152659.jpg

20210102_152800.jpg

Pulled a couple others off. Oddly enough it appears the valve is a different design type.

Wondering if it would be best to just throw it all back together since there has been no problems?

If it works, and you don't want to pull the head, I don't see the problem in running it until you decide to do a valve job (or have the head off for some other reason) in the future.

Probably would be best until you're ready for a head rebuild.
EDIT. oops, 1911 got there first.

So I got my valve springs sorted out, but I noticed one of the valve stem seals wasn't even close to the right one. Ordered a set from SOR and then I get these washer looking seals. Still no where close to what's on my other valves. How are those supposed to be installed?

New seals in plastic. Existing valves show incorrect seal on the one I'm touching on right. It doesn't even come close to fitting. Not to mention its way too tall. Good fitting seal on left.

20210114_090345.jpg

20210102_152800.jpg

Robert,

Its pretty much catch-as-catch can on the F135s these days. As you noted, there were both 1 and 2 groove valves/keepers on these early heads. And stem seals? Whole nother ball of confusion.

The last NOS engine set I had from Mr. T had O rings for valve stem seals. And I’ve seen a LOT of different seals come off these heads over the years. One set I got from the dealer looked like faucet washers!

As @Splangy would say, ‘if it ain’t broke...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom