A Good Night Sleep In Your Truck ? Mattress,Lighting,Platform Design,CPAP machine and power for it. What else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If by chance you already own Ego brand lawn tools, they make 2 inverters that take the same interchangeable batteries. This is the 150W and they also sell a 3000W. You can run the numbers for usage. V X A = W.

Amazon product ASIN B07HCGMPZC

Wow very cool! We have an Ego mower and weed trimmer, so this inverter could be very handy.

I'm currently not. I'd suggest looking at Jackery as well.
I'm trying to figure out how much power I would need from a Goal Zero or equivalent to get thru the night with the CPAP?

I'm trying to figure out how much power I would need from a Goal Zero or equivalent to get thru the night with the CPAP?
Depends on the machine, how much pressure you need, and if you plan on using humidity as well. My Dad has a CPAP, and we checked the amps and calculated for 8 hours of use to ensure he had a sufficient power supply (his has about 30% excess capacity, which will cover degradation, plus he only sleeps about 6 hours a night). Thankfully his portable CPAP provider sells batteries he was able to get for not too much, I think insurance may have paid part of it, but I am not sure.

Edit: For peace of mind I'd rather have the dedicated CPAP battery, and a goal zero to run other non-critical necessities. I think without insurance it was only $250.

So has everyone had good luck with the Jackery over the goal zero?

Jackery is becoming one of the big names in the space and dominating Amazon. I’m convinced almost all of the brands are using the same components and many are manufactured in the same plants. It’s very possible to overthink this purchase. Size appropriately and pick the company who gets good reviews and offers a competitive (not necessarily the lowest) price.

My personal opinion is that you should get at least 500wh for the money you will spend and have some flexibility for other purposes.

Depends on the machine, how much pressure you need, and if you plan on using humidity as well. My Dad has a CPAP, and we checked the amps and calculated for 8 hours of use to ensure he had a sufficient power supply (his has about 30% excess capacity, which will cover degradation, plus he only sleeps about 6 hours a night). Thankfully his portable CPAP provider sells batteries he was able to get for not too much, I think insurance may have paid part of it, but I am not sure.

Edit: For peace of mind I'd rather have the dedicated CPAP battery, and a goal zero to run other non-critical necessities. I think without insurance it was only $250.

Exactly what I do.

So has everyone had good luck with the Jackery over the goal zero?

I camp with a big group of gearheads that have both Goal Zero and Jackery products. Beyond the obvious green vs orange team, there are some notable differences. Before I get there, I'll just say that watt-hours are what-hours and the devices ultimately don't care what they're getting their power from. So they both work great in their primary functions.

This boils down to Jackery are solid and great batts, and a better value. The trade and premium for Goal Zeros is that they are more full featured, with more accessories and integration options. If you don't use them it's just a case of paying more for same.

I have a Goal Zero 1000 so I'll speak for the major GZ advantages that I see over the Jackery 1000
- 1500W Inverter, 3000W surge (or pretty much anything you can plug into a household outlet). Jackery is rated for 1000W/2000W. This matters for really high power things like full size coffee makes, toasters, dryers
- Car charger, with options for really high power 60amp DC-DC chargers
- More accessories including capacity expansion modules
- Can use generic accessories too as I use a RockPals 100W portable solar panel with my GZ

There is a newer Goal Zero 1000X which has more features still, but is more expensive for the same capacity

The inverter of whatever device you choose should have a pure sinewave output. Not sure if the CPAP requires it but some sensitive electronics do.

Note that sleeping on top of drawers and the folded second row drastically reduced head room. Depending on your needs for the second row you can remove it and install resistors into the airbag plugs. This gives a mostly flat floor that is roughly 6’5 front to back and all the headroom you could ever need. Toss a megamat in there.. great, roomy sleeping area.

This my setup with the drawers and the Exped Megamat Duo LW+. The size couldn't possibly be a better fit.

View attachment 2552030
Did you have to remove the second row seats to make it fit or is the mattress laying on top of the folded second row. Looks like the set up I want to go with.

Did you have to remove the second row seats to make it fit or is the mattress laying on top of the folded second row. Looks like the set up I want to go with.
The second row is folded down. It’s a great setup.

Reactions: xlx
The second row is folded down. It’s a great setup.
Thanks for the reply. That is the answer I wanted to hear. Not a fan of ripping out the second row. That is the best set up I’ve seen so far. The matt look like a perfect fit. Happy Trails.

Thanks for the reply. That is the answer I wanted to hear. Not a fan of ripping out the second row. That is the best set up I’ve seen so far. The matt look like a perfect fit. Happy Trails.
So when does everyone decide to sleep in the truck vs in a tent? I’m assuming weather and predators?

Go easy I’m a rookie.

So when does everyone decide to sleep in the truck vs in a tent? I’m assuming weather and predators?

Go easy I’m a rookie.
Stealth camping. I have a buddy that bought a white work van with a ladder rack.
He travels and sleeps anywhere and carries orange safety cones, an orange safety vest and hard hat and sets up camp anywhere in the city or country.

Go easy I’m a rookie.

I do both, but tents that go up quickly and are easy to strike, tend to take up more space when packed. Tents that take up very little space packed are a pain to put up, take down and pack. When I’m sleeping solo, the lack of a tent means less work, less time setting up camp easy departures. I’m also the guy that sets up camp in the dark frequently, so not having to deal with a tent gets me to fireside beers that much faster.

I have a hatch tent that gives me the best of both worlds. It's quick to set up and I appreciate the extra room, but I can also sleep in the truck without it. I don't worry too much about predators, but I do stack my table and chairs next to the tailgate at night so I would at least hear them before they pounce on me!

IMG_2340.JPG

Gel%25C3%25A4ndewagen-ausbau-schlafen-bett.jpg

What is important for sleeping inside? Above is for sleeping an extended time inside....

This way, simply a piece of wood above the seats - give you too a nice sleep.

DSC00544.JPG

Many diffrent ways fo Sleeping inside of your 4x4 are possibles,..

Here are my List of Top8 pieces of Equipement for overlanding / camping

Most important are the windows soxx. Electrificy comes more at the end of neccessary stuff.

Maybe you find my Goalzero and Goalzero vs Ecoflow R600pro or first test of the Ecoflow R600p helpful and choosing the right compressor fridge size

Please note that it depends strongly on your use habbits, if you had to invest a lot in electrification and this values.. For weekends a charged battery will run a fridge. If you usually park somewhere for some days solar is helpful,. If you usually drive all day also the weaker charge with 12v socket is good enough. If you usually stay at campgrounds good wallcharging values are more important.

Currently I have a very capable powersetup in my car, but i`m on to replace it with the ecoflow R600p.. It is not better, but good enough. And saves a lot of weight and space. Id was made to run a fridge and a freezer together during the transafrica trip.

To find some nice camping spots, Apps like Stayfree, Park4Night or iOverlander are helpful - too to find helpful PIOs.

About what to prefere: roof top tent, ground tent or Sleeping inside: that is pretty individual...

Sleeping inside pro`s:
- fast camp setup (just park)
- stealth (nobody see of someone is inside or not
- dry at windy and rainy days.
- save (a bear cant access your bed)

image.png
image.png

And last point is a travel / camping toilet I dont know why this is the most read article in my blog - for me that is not that important...

reise-toilette-wc-camping.jpg

If you stay wild - please dig in you sh*t!

how-to-s***-in-the-woods.jpg

Last edited:
I have a hatch tent that gives me the best of both worlds. It's quick to set up and I appreciate the extra room, but I can also sleep in the truck without it. I don't worry too much about predators, but I do stack my table and chairs next to the tailgate at night so I would at least hear them before they pounce on me!

View attachment 2556800
Source for Hatch Tent, please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom