Planning to do knuckle rebuild in March... HAMOM (Charlotte) or should I tacklet this myself? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But I will have purchased new suspension by that point. I probably can handle that on my own. Assuming it's like a regular car. LOL!

Upper front shock mounts are definitely a perfect candidate for an impact driver, a flex bit (u-joint), and a small assortment of extensions. Soak all shock bolts in PB Blaster or Kroil for a few days first.

Spring replacement isn't too bad, especially with stock height springs, but you'll want to have the height of 6-ton jack stands for the frame as well as a floor jack for convenience (but a bottle jack can work). I did all 4 of mine in about 3 hours which included locating tools and learning how to do it on the job.

Maybe, you can help me on a separate day, John. ;)

The shocks/springs job is very straightforward grunt-type work. Remove shocks. Jack up truck one end at a time, remove wheels and place tall jack stands under frame. Lower the axle down until the springs are loose. Remove old springs and replace with new. Install new shocks. Re-install wheels. Do the same for the other end of the truck. You can do it here at my place if you want. More hands is always better, but I have done several trucks by my lonesome. The only potential "gotcha" is if you break off one of the rear shock bolts on the axle side. Apparently Mr. T made them out of silly putty.

Last edited:
The shocks/springs job is very straightforward grunt-type work. Remove shocks. Jack up truck one end at a time, remove wheels and place tall jack stands under frame. Lower the axle down until the springs are loose. Remove old springs and replace with new. Install new shocks. Re-install wheels. Do the same for the other end of the truck. You can do it here at my place if you want. More hands is always better, but I have done several trucks by my lonesome. The only potential "gotcha" is if you break off one of the rear shock bolts on the axle side. Apparently Mr. T made them out of silly putty.
Thank you Dave. I don't want to impose, but I would love to do this at your place. Just let me know if that week of March works for you.

I am in for lending a hand, never done it before but happy to help. I have a big driveway if more room is needed, other than that I am basically useless other than moral support.
Thanks for the offer. If roadstr6 is good with doing this at his place, I'll go with that. I'll also leave it up to him, as far as if he wants others to join in or stay away (because of Covid).

Thanks for the offer. If roadstr6 is good with doing this at his place, I'll go with that. I'll also leave it up to him, as far as if he wants others to join in or stay away (because of

Now that I will be getting a 2nd vehicle, my LC is no longer my daily driver, and I'm no longer rushed to get it back on the road ASAP. With that said, we have a long drive planned this summer, and I want to get all the leaks addressed, starting with the knuckles.

I would love to schedule a HAMOM, but I'm guessing that this is no longer a thing because of Covid-19. If I follow OTRAMM's video on YouTube, is this something an amateur person like myself able to tackle? Or should I take it to a shop? I know every post I read about this, everyone says it's easy, just messy. I always doubt my abilities, and the last thing I need is to be stranded on the side of the road because of something I did (or did not) do. HAMOM is a great idea, because I can rely or more knowledgeable people if I'm stuck or confused. I'd like to do this or get this done in March.
I'm in CLT and I did this last summer on my 97 (new everything - axles, bearings, spindle bushings, knuckle / flange stud hardware, etc, etc, etc) - so I graduated past "staying at a Holiday Inn last night" but surely not as proficient as those that have multiple reps at the job. Watched OTRAMM and Jonesy's videos repeatedly until I felt I "had it" and those were key. Happy to help and will adhere to COVID measures (I will comply - I take it seriously).

Awesome! Well, personally, I say the more the merrier. But if we are doing this at Dave's place, then I leave it up to him as to how many people he wants over there.

Awesome! Well, personally, I say the more the merrier. But if we are doing this at Dave's place, then I leave it up to him as to how many people he wants over there.
I thought I signed up for suspension day, not knuckle day? Edit...To recap...the knuckle job and the suspension job would be best done separately. The knuckle job will take more time. I am willing to personally lend a hand with either and possibly both jobs, but I had specifically mentioned that you could bring your truck to my place for the suspension work. You and I (and possibly another helper) can knock out the suspension job in a couple of hours.

Last edited:
OH! I really needed the knuckles done before the suspension. But, no worries. I'll watch the usual YouTube videos online a few times, and then attempt it myself. Hopefully, it goes well.

OH! I really needed the knuckles done before the suspension. But, no worries. I'll watch the usual YouTube videos online a few times, and then attempt it myself. Hopefully, it goes well.
I (and others) can help you with the knuckle job at your house. Once that is done, you can bring it to my place and the two of us will knock out the springs. How’s that sound?

So, I talked it over with Dave. I will do the knuckle rebuild at my house. It's a one car driveway/one car garage. So, not big as most people's. But it works for me. Also, there isn't a whole lot of street parking as well. The date is Saturday, March 20. Most likely, it'll be a 2-day job. So, I'll probably be working on it the next day as well. If you are interested and able to make it to help out, send me a PM.

So, I talked it over with Dave. I will do the knuckle rebuild at my house. It's a one car driveway/one car garage. So, not big as most people's. But it works for me. Also, there isn't a whole lot of street parking as well. The date is Saturday, March 20. Most likely, it'll be a 2-day job. So, I'll probably be working on it the next day as well. If you are interested and able to make it to help out, send me a PM.
IF you have enough folks there, you could get everything done in one day. One pair of hands on the passenger side, you and another experienced individual on the driver's side, and folks working on swapping the rear springs/shocks at the same time. When the knuckles are done, the front springs/shocks would be next. I've found that the front springs/shocks are easier to install than the rear springs/shocks.

I always recommend to rent two sets of springs compressors. One set for the spring on the Cruiser and the other set for the new spring. It will make the work go so much quicker instead of waiting while you remove the spring compressor each time. Most auto parts stores have two sets.

I always recommend to rent two sets of springs compressors. One set for the spring on the Cruiser and the other set for the new spring. It will make the work go so much quicker instead of waiting while you remove the spring compressor each time. Most auto parts stores have two sets.

And double the scare factor makes things more interesting! Everyone make sure your health and life policies are all paid up :D J/K, but not really - I hate the cheap spring compressors.

I can't recall which springs he's putting in, but I wanna say OME stock height? Shouldn't need a compressor for that at all...even I was able to figure out how to get them in!

And double the scare factor makes things more interesting! Everyone make sure your health and life policies are all paid up :D J/K, but not really - I hate the cheap spring compressors.
Aint no pucker factor like the pucker factor from one of those things moving or popping on you.

Aint no pucker factor like the pucker factor from one of those things moving or popping on you.
Sometimes you gotta live wild and free! Besides God gave you 10 fingers to have spares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom