Things to do with front end apart? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! I've never had a FZJ80 before, but I picked one up that was in a front end collision and I'm excited to get it back together. Over the next few weeks I'm sure I'll be posting "hey, what is supposed to go here" threads, so apologies in advance for that. I have a couple questions though with where I'm at currently.

1) While the front end is this disassembled, is there any chronic PITA part that I should just replace now to prevent future migraines?

2) The PO gave me a Wits End power steering rebuild kit along with Wits End low pressure hose kit, I am going to do the hose kit, but I have my hands full enough and I don't want feel like doing the rebuild right now. Is there a good aftermarket (non-OEM) new Power Steering Pump that you all would recommend?

3) The power steering cooler has a ding in it from the accident, and it looks to me like it was leaking as well, in the area where the high-pressure line has it's U-shape. I live in FL, but I'm not going to be doing any hard core wheeling in this thing. It does have 33's on it right now. Should I just remove the cooler, and bypass it with normal flex hoses? Or should I find an aftermarket cooler? It looks to me like the high pressure line as replaced at some point in the recent past, so I think I'm going to leave it as is.

4) For all the power steering low pressure lines, do I need to get any fancy hose clamps? or does the standard autoparts stuff work fine?

Yes I do have a new DS body mount bracket on the way already :grinpimp: And I already learned the PO had the belts routed improperly, already ordered a new Toyota set.

1-11-2021_1.jpg

1-11-2021_2.jpg

1-11-2021_4.jpg

Here are some part numbers for the seals - threw in the dizzy o ring as well since why not :meh:

• OEM Oil Pump Cover o-ring (15188-66020)
• Distributor o-ring (90099-14118)
• Front engine seal (90311-52022)

The other stuff that comes to mind is to take care of the cooling system components since the coolant is already drained and keeping the engine cool it a good idea. It kind of depends on how far down the rabit hole you want to go but a new thermostat, coolant O rings, water pump, fan clutch, etc. You could also leave the cooing system alone and see what temps you are getting after buttoning her back up and deal with it after if needed.

Replacing the brushes in your alternator might be worth while since it’s just sitting there. Super cheap part to get your alternator back to peak output.

Beware asking a "while you are in there" question on this forum!

I'll jump ahead in this thread a bit and suggest that you go ahead and pull the engine so that you can do the head gasket, pan seals, motor mounts and all of the other rubber bits / etc. with the engine on a stand which will make it all much easier :)

Last edited:
Anything you can get to made of rubber: from engine mounts, to o-rings, to hoses....

The xmsn oil cooler is necessary, I wouldn't recommend driving without it. Keeping the fluid cool is the secret to 500k mile gearboxes. You can pick up a salvage one. Try
@arcteryx and @slow95z

As far as the hose clamps, they are cheap and Toyota's design does not leak. No one can say that about garden hose clamps. You got lucky with a new pressure set; that is one involved, vital part, and it's not cheap.

Rebuild the PS pump - you have the parts; it'll take about an hour, if you use alcohol powered tools (less if they're air powered). You will find an impact wrench handy to remove the gear nut.

Look a your fuel filter; it's under the intake. Also, the heater hose/tube/hose behind the number six cylinder leaks onto the NSS and will disable the reverse lights and PRNDL2 tree lights. Replace the upper and lower hoses and hose clamps, if they aren't OEM. Also, you can now reach the NSS connector, it's the grey one under the lower heater hose. Pull that apart and spray both sides with QRC cleaner until it's really clean; you'll thank me later.

I've never heard of anyone replacing a motor mount just because they were there, but I haven't talked to everyone, so there's that. I would take the time to really clean everything though. You'll never get a chance like this again, unless you hate yourself.

I have used ones, send me a message if you want to go that route.

I'll jump to the end......

Drink beer.

I'd say probably the wisest move would be to just go online and order a bunch of stickers with your credit card #s and stick them to several areas under hood for quick reference.

I agree with changing the hoses. Right now you have the best access possible, without removing the intake, to access all hoses and fuel filter there, do it now or you will regret it later. Changing the high pressure line for the steering, the new OEM is spendy (try partsoq) but, very easy to access now, doing it now is a snap, doing it later makes the PHH replacement look easy by comparison.

The engine looks clean to me. No obvious leaks. Leave it be. Do the power steering pump rebuild and trans cooler if it bothers you enough. You mentioned you live in HOT Florida so focus on the AC. Id put in the new version of the AC Condenser. I hear technology has improved with their design since the 90s. Might be worth your while.

Looks pretty clean to me. That being said I'd replace every piece of rubber that you can't verify has been replaced in the last 10 years.

Your evap can looks original.

2nd on rebuilding your psp. I went with a Cardone rebuild and it leaks now. I replaced all the lines same time and it wasn't too bad.

Fuel filter for sure. Doesn't matter when you do it, it sucks so just do it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom