HJ61 4wd problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi people

2 problems

89 HJ61 - I've had a problem the last couple years with 4wd high. Engaging the button on the dash puts the light on and shifts into 4wd, but, there is a lot of grinding and vibrating noises going on, so I haven't been using it because I figured I'd fix it in the future after I looked after other issues.

Now, with covid, I've let the truck sit a lot. I went to drive it today and dash lght is on , but the button is off. I confirmed that the truck is in 4wd with the mechanical shift in H2. If I switch the shifter to Neutral the light goes off and the 4wd Lo works with the shift. But, the light stays on if I shift back into H2. The button doesn't seem to do anything now.

I've got the manuals for this, but, I don't really understand what happens when that button on the dash is pressed. Does it electriclly allow the vacuum to shift into and out of 4wd?
Any ideas if this is electrcal or vacuum related?

Thanks for any help

Tim

It has 2 solenoids somewhere in the engine bay, probably near the drivers position. They will have wire and vacuum hoses. One puts it in 4wd and the other pulls it out of 4wd.
These 2 are from a 4runner, but they and the 7* series solenoids are all much the same
The 2 main reasons they fail is either the solenoids burn out, or there is a vacuum leak somewhere. Occasionally the vacuum diaphragm on the transfer case dies.

And get underneath to check the hoses to the diaphragm
I'm not sure about the grinding, it could because they are too slow from lack of vacuum and are not pushing the gears into place fast enough. Check for vacuum at the alternator first.
Overall, these system are fairly reliable

Does it electriclly allow the vacuum to shift into and out of 4wd?
Yes.
I forget what colour does what, but you can swap them over for troubleshooting or to get home

1610407301394.png

It has 2 solenoids somewhere in the engine bay, probably near the drivers position. They will have wire and vacuum hoses. One puts it in 4wd and the other pulls it out of 4wd.
These 2 are from a 4runner, but they and the 7* series solenoids are all much the same
The 2 main reasons they fail is either the solenoids burn out, or there is a vacuum leak somewhere. Occasionally the vacuum diaphragm on the transfer case dies.

And get underneath to check the hoses to the diaphragm
I'm not sure about the grinding, it could because they are too slow from lack of vacuum and are not pushing the gears into place fast enough. Check for vacuum at the alternator first.
Overall, these system are fairly reliable

Yes.
I forget what colour does what, but you can swap them over for troubleshooting or to get home

View attachment 2550666
Thanks so much for this advice. I will be spending some serious time on this soon and will let you know what I find.! Cheers.

I had some problems when * the switch would not make the green light (and 4x4) go on, but shifting to low did.

Cleaned the connections and thought it was time for the air /vacuum.
But in the end no money was spend, also cleaned under the car at the transfer:

Transfer electrical shift type wiring diagram:

And I thought that button and light are a different thing (see schematic) related of course but the light does show what is happening and (aldo) the button might not (seem to) respond. So don't drive with the light on on asphalt, at least unlock the hubs, maybe even remove the drive shaft/propeller shaft (check it and don't destroy it)

Pretty easy to feel and hear the tires.

Cleaned these, never saw the mentioned * problem again:
Maybe it was not related as I cleaned and removed all connectors, also in engine bay.
2_33f7b4868aa21cdf8621e63be5119a7d.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, thanks for all of that good info. I checked today finally and my problems must be related to the vacuum solinoids. There are broken wires going into the bottom solinoid and no vacuum hoses! I don't understand how the 4wd even works with all of this not connected. Kinda embarassing that I haven't notied this before and dealt with it. Will check tomorrow since I need the truck this week.Gonna be -20c tomorrow though, so, that won't be fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom