Under two post lift jack stands? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally got my 2 post lift installed after many years and have started using. I'd like to get a couple of tall jack stands just to add a little stability/safety at front and back ends. I'm not buying harbor freight crap but everything else I see doesn't look much better and also looks like it's all made in the same chinese factory (ex - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnr-5150125). Any higher quality options? What's anyone else using?

I have a pair of these, very pleased with them. They’re well made and take the wobble out. I’ve really cranked a racthet on a vehicle before.

Also, get one of these if you don’t have one.

Thanks, that looks like all the rest of them I've been finding. Maybe that's just what I'll have to go with.

Extending oil drain is on the list to get too. I keep swearing I'll never buy another thing from HF but then I see something simple, figure how bad can it be, buy it, find out how bad it can be, return it, and swear I'll never buy another thing from HF.

Historically, my experiences from HF are like yours, however more recently, their quality has gone up on things. Reviews/videos help a lot to weed out the junk.

If you have questions on HF products, there is a huge thread on garagejournal.com that is helpful. I normally check there before buying a HF item.

I've been using the HF ones for years. Yeah it's HF but what is there to really go wrong. Yes they had the jack stand recall - but these are just for stabilization and extra safety. I've put some pretty serious weight on them - right now I've got my diesel Mercedes up there. And I was surprised how far forward the center of balance shifted forward when I pulled the entire rear end out (including sub frame, diff, etc everything) for a rebuild. Just gave a couple cranks on the front safety stand under the front cross member problem solved.

Thanks, that looks like all the rest of them I've been finding. Maybe that's just what I'll have to go with.

Extending oil drain is on the list to get too. I keep swearing I'll never buy another thing from HF but then I see something simple, figure how bad can it be, buy it, find out how bad it can be, return it, and swear I'll never buy another thing from HF.

I'm right there with you on Horrible Fright/cheap Chinese stuff in general, but the things is, they won't be holding hardly any weight - just a support to keep anything from getting tippy. The 2-post lift will still be holding 90% of the weight. On a 40, you probably only need one for the front.

I have 4 of the HF underlift jack stands. I had my '92 ExtraCab longbed 4x4 F250 Diesel on them (and the lift of course) for at least a month with swapping the clutch, t-case and rear axle rebuild. I did throw away the crappy bolts that came with them and bought better stuff locally. IMHO that is one of the downfalls of HF stuff is the taffy bolts they include.

My brother also has 4 HF stands. We used them to replace the load bearing wall in his basement with an I beam. As in we cut out one third of the wood header and installed I beam. The HF stands held up each floor section while we installed the steel. The beam was welded together once in place and leveled.

Short answer: the HF stands are fine for most uses.

Nick

Atlas 10,000 lbs. Bought at least 10yrs ago from Greg Smith but could never find a place in my old shop where both posts would be on thick enough concrete. And shop really wasn't tall enough but probably could have made it work. Lessons learned - go taller than you think you'll need and be there when your shop is being built.

IMG_0994.jpg

I'll echo the same negative sentiments about buying chicom garbage, however most of these type of "static" pieces of equipment come from China. I have a very nice certified Bend-pad 10K asymmetrical lift that bears the "Made in China" sticker. It's nicely built but I always assumed it was made in the USA prior to buying. Anyway back to your question on stands. I purchased two from HF on sale for $60 ea. Like others have stated, the hardware was replaced with grade 5. I was offered a second pair by a friend who purchased them to support a porch while he replaced the columns. I bought those for $120. and the hardware again was upgraded to grade 5. The last modification all four got was a 3/16" X 3" round plate welded to each foot to eliminate any rocking and protect my floor. I had a surplus of these discs from a CNC plasma job I had done some time back. The Bend-pak also got an improvement immediately after install. I had posted this improvement some time ago but I highly recommend it when the subject comes up. The plastic reservoir is unsupported at the bottom and can break off if something bumps into it. As we all know, plastic only gets brittler with time and with potentially dumping 3 gallons of hydraulic oil on the floor would suck at best.

The stands are a must when pulling large components such as xfer-cases, transmissions, axels or anything that can drastically change the CG. A pair is a good start but I'm more cozy under my 2500HD with four when pulling large items or really cranking on a large bolt.
6316849E-DFEC-4C95-B6A1-C3288C0F5347.jpeg

On the reservoir support. Three sides are broken and a piece of rubber mat provides insulation between the bracket and thin plastic reservoir.
364B10A6-2C21-4048-A86C-3C41826D12BB.jpeg

D318FDED-792B-4718-8DC1-B94970D264D4.jpeg

Nice shop. I need that Hyster! Let my old standup lift go with sale of old place. Was old/worn out but worked well enough for what I needed. Haven't had any success finding decent replacement for decent price.

Planning to swing by HF tomorrow to take a look given everyone's comments. I pretty much always end up changing inferior hardware that comes with most stuff these days anyway so that's not an issue. Also going to look at the oil drain linked above.

And I like the reservoir support idea. Hadn't thought about that.

Last edited:
Thanks,
I think you’ll be happy with those HF stands.
I also purchased one of those under lift drains and use the hell out of it. It’s nice to transfer the waste oil with low pressure air into five gallon pails. This too can be had on sale for $120-130. I would recommend a larger plastic funnel that sits on top of the smaller catch. It’s about 30” in diameter and works great for capturing most splashes and a must when servicing transmissions. I think I paid $14 at a local auto parts warehouse.
The Hyster is a back saver for sure.
if you want measurements on the reservoir support, say the word.

It's really quite simple. Buy chinese:=cheap junk. Buy chinese:=waste your money. Buy chinese:=slave labor. Buy chinese:=lost American jobs!!! Wake up folks.

A agree with you 100% Steve, however it’s hard to find US made goods. Most of the time I try to build my own stuff but when you need to pull a tranny and already have spent a s*** ton on parts and need to stay alive while under a rig the choices are limited.
like I said, I really was disappointed when I saw the China decal on my Bend-Pak. I’ve bought genuine GM parts only to see made in China WTH? To be honest many American employees lack pride and quality suffers in the end not to mention the manufacturing sector likes to cut corners too. If I can build it I normally will.

You're right.......it ain't easy trying to buy made in the USA anymore. I just returned four fleece shirts that I liked and really needed because made in china.....and you're right about USA quality too, but if your're gonna get junk it might as well be American junk. I just refuse to participate in the move to eliminate our manufacturing capability AND I still remember stacking piles of AK47's used to slaughter American G.I.'s. All made in China! Trying to always buy USA is a hassle but in the long run well worth the effort and extra cost for the sake of our children and grandchildren. By the way I admire you folks that can just build what you need.

Looked at the HF stands today. Wasn't that impressed. Are they supposed to have a bearing that rides between the screw collar (part w/ handles)? The one on display didn't but looked like it was probably supposed to have had a capture ball type thrust bearing. Don't need immediately so might look at some of the other ones. Main difference I note in pics is the adjusting handle/screw mechanism and how robust or not that is among various brands. The stands themselves all seem to be about the same.

Like the idea of the round feet, had already thought about something like that. And thanks for offer on support dimensions but I can come up with something. Yours reminded me of an ammo can holder and that gave me some ideas.

Also looked at the 20gal oil drain. That was a little nicer than expected so might try to get one of those with a 20% coupon. Have also noticed a bunch of other brands that appear to be the same except for the sticker.

Looked at the HF stands today. Wasn't that impressed. Are they supposed to have a bearing that rides between the screw collar (part w/ handles)? The one on display didn't but looked like it was probably supposed to have had a capture ball type thrust bearing. Don't need immediately so might look at some of the other ones. Main difference I note in pics is the adjusting handle/screw mechanism and how robust or not that is among various brands. The stands themselves all seem to be about the same.

Like the idea of the round feet, had already thought about something like that. And thanks for offer on support dimensions but I can come up with something. Yours reminded me of an ammo can holder and that gave me some ideas.

Also looked at the 20gal oil drain. That was a little nicer than expected so might try to get one of those with a 20% coupon. Have also noticed a bunch of other brands that appear to be the same except for the sticker.

The stands do have a thrust bearing allowing the cradle to rise a load smoothly. I used quality grease during final assembly.

On the reservoir support, I used #10 tek-screws to secure the bracket to the post. If you look between the post and the actual arm assembly you'll see a clearance (gap) to select a safe length.

Like I mentioned previously, It's extremely difficult to find these type of items made in the USA.

BTW, i meant to pay you a compliment on your beautiful work space. I was especially admiring your Vidmar cabinets.

Peace

The stands do have a thrust bearing allowing the cradle to rise a load smoothly. I used quality grease during final assembly.

On the reservoir support, I used #10 tek-screws to secure the bracket to the post. If you look between the post and the actual arm assembly you'll see a clearance (gap) to select a safe length.

Like I mentioned previously, It's extremely difficult to find these type of items made in the USA.

BTW, i meant to pay you a compliment on your beautiful work space. I was especially admiring your Vidmar cabinets.

Peace
Thanks, I thought it looked like something was missing.

I've already mounted a couple of hangers on the lift posts and the steel is thick enough to thread for short machine screws. 50cal ammo can holder is 3/4" too narrow for support. Thought that might make for a simple/interesting solution.

Took me 6mo of ebay searching to find some Vidmar cabinets that were relatively close (without going to Atlanta) and weren't absurdly expensive. No more Atlanta driving for me and that's still $2400 worth of used cabinets!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom