In search of an FJ Cruiser but want owner feedback. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To put me into perspectiv, I am 52 years old. Currently own an FJ62. Had it a little over 2 years no. That old truck was literally the first car I ever owned or wrenched on that was water cooled. I had air cooled VW’s all my life.
I always wanted a Landcruiser, since high school. loving the 62 and loving wrenching.
But an FJ Cruiser, how badass!
what do you guys look for when considering buying one of these?
all of them have high mileage so I guess I was looking for pointers on what to look for.
it will be used as 3-4 day a week driver and some weekends on forest service roads for deep hiking trips.
Thanks for the help fellows.

Rust is the biggest thing to look for . 2010 plus have a better rear axle and a few other things .

First year had rear pinion issues. I had an 07 that we ran 200k over 10 years. Had to fix rear pinion, a/c condenser , and i replaced belt tensioners . I think thats all the repair i ever did to that little truck. Wifes car though but it did make multiple trips out to colorado and up and over trails.

As stated, rust, general wear and tear, and probably nowadays maintenance. If its got over 100K technically every fluid should have been changed at least once. I know most owners probably dont do that, but if they did its probably a gem.

If the one you fancy is an automatic, make sure it has the rear locker. All manuals will have it. If it has a locker but no ATRAC button, you can add ATRAC. Great for those fire roads.

I suggest one with the premium package as you get a bunch of little things that in the used market could go either way (same price with or without)....like the leather wrapped steering wheel, ect.

all of them have high mileage so I guess I was looking for pointers on what to look for.

Not necessarily. Bought this with 58K now at 67K - but not for sale unfortunately.

Capture.JPG

- As mentioned inner fender structure cracks on the early ones - but I think this is overblown - but check before buying prior to 08.
- The front main seal on mine was leaking like crazy. Easy fix. Which kind of makes me think that the motor has more miles than the body but CarFax didn't mention it. Rear main is leaking a little. I'll fix that when I fix the chirpy throw out bearing (known manual transmission problem.)
- The early motors (before 2010) have solid shim/bucket lifters. Which means pulling 4 cams to adjust clearance. I'm just dreading it. But most people never adjust valve clearance on a Toyota motor and they just run forever with no issues. But I'm uptight about maintenance.
- Wheel finish/corrosion issues like every Toyota.
- If the tire pressure warning comes on - and all 4 tires on the ground have good air - check the GD spare lol.

That's it as far as I know. Highly recommended especially with the manual trans if that's your thing.

Thanks for the tips you guys. These muthas are bringing top dollar, fender cracks and all. I am sure you all spent weeks and weeks searching.

When I got mine (bought new), it was the entry model year, so I searched for 2 months. I scoured incoming port VINs and would call the dealership inquiring before the sales team even knew they had them. Some were already spoken for, others not. Not sure exactly how I stumbled upon that info, but at the time it worked. I wanted the basic CQ package with a rear locker, AT. Used prices are crazy right now.

In your position, I'd look for anything not rusted out, as the ones north of the Mason-Dixon line seem to not fare too well. Also, cosmetic stuff is harder to fix than mechanical in many cases. Good luck.

so is the fix a whole new unit?
That's beginning to be my understanding. I'm on my second new clutch, third throwout bearing (replaced the first with a Toyota one, second with a quill sleeve kit, and third when the one from the kit was squealing. The third still makes noise), and I'm about to swap the slave cylinder with the updated one from the TSB (although my service history states that the TSB replacements were done at 67k).
If this latest part doesn't help, I'll be going with a t56 swap.

Just purchased my 2010, 2 months ago. Prices here in Tx were nuts. I looked at a couple but prices were 5-10k above average.
Finally found mine at dealer, maintenance history on mine was great. Body had few blems but good overall.
Again, to me, southern rig, with great maintenance history. Those will allow the rig to last.

Search on car apps for them to compare prices. Lots of them out there with low miles if you want that, they aren’t great for interstate driving. People tend to have a different daily driver when they can.
They last a long time with minimal maintaince like most Toyota’s.
Like others above say avoid buying from areas where they salt roads. I have an 07 that’s lived it’s life south of tenn and it looks like it came off the dealer lot underneath.

They are getting older so people are seeing issues like other older vehicles. rubber needs replacing like on window trim. Small leaks in headliner from roof racks every now and then. Seat wear and tear but there are some good seat kits out there to replace with leather etc.

The prices jump starting in 2010 years with the updated motor and a few small things upgraded. They say they upgraded the inner fenders but who knows for sure. I think the rear pinion issues was for autos trans manufactured between like 6/2006-1/2007 something around there.

This is true to my recollection too. New gear sets started in Feb 2007.
I have trouble remembering what I watched on tv 10 mins ago or what my wife just said but I remember random things about my toyotas haha. Like 01 tacomas only had o**** grab handles on the pass side but 03 got them on the driver and the piller for the passenger. I guess we remember what we want to. When looking at fjcruiers 11ish years ago I could remember the trim levels and what was included better than the salesman at the dealer

Just to post some info that might help the original poster. heres a nice buyers guide they have put together. Dont look there for pricing they over value them because well its a site dedicated to fjcruisers
FJ Cruiser Buyers Guide

Also 06-07 did not have the side sun visors. They were one of my first additions when I bought mine. Throwout bearing noise seems to be a way of life. Mine was replaced right before I bought it and was making noise. I will live with it until it dies. I already picked up a clutch and am looking for the noise solution for the bearing

I am making the last payment on mine next month. I have 230k(started at 130). 07, no diff issues. Only unscheduled maintenance I've had to do is alternator. I had no idea these were going for so much. That's Awesome!

I had a freak accident with my truck unfortunately, so I don't feel comfortable ever reselling it. Nothing like walking out to your truck after work to see it is part of a crime scene investigation. 🙃

The FJ was such a unique vehicle to come out of Toyota's factory at the time. I really hope you find yours and enjoy it for years to come. Every time someone comments on the wipers it puts a smile on my face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom