Buying a 1995 Australian Land Cruiser - What do you think of the Pre-purchase inspection? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Actually, after a second look, that 80 above is a grey import HDJ81 from Japan.
A local market HDJ80 would be worth more. Grey imports are difficult to insure over here, and typically worth less.

As a RHD HDJ81 owner in Canada I think you are making a mistake. RHD gassers are cheaper then LHD gassers but you want to pay more? Mileage is very questionable. If you are patient you can easily buy a RHD HDJ81 with 1HD-T for the same money. If you buy the RHD gasser that is only a base cloth model you will not be able to sell it, more like give it away.
My one cent.

As a RHD HDJ81 owner in Canada I think you are making a mistake. RHD gassers are cheaper then LHD gassers but you want to pay more? Mileage is very questionable. If you are patient you can easily buy a RHD HDJ81 with 1HD-T for the same money. If you buy the RHD gasser that is only a base cloth model you will not be able to sell it, more like give it away.
My one cent.
I still haven’t met the first person (in the US) that thinks cloth seats/base status in Land Cruisers are a severe detriment.

The RHD comment is valid. I personally think it’s cool but I can understand most people disagree. It definitely takes value off of the car.

However, having to “give away” an 80 series Land Cruiser in (hopefully) good condition seems unlikely.

I like these opinions, keep them coming.

Last edited:
Looks quite clean :meh:

Its got aftermarket springs, shocks, steering damper, sway bar bushes fitted

Is been converted to dual fuel. LPG/Propane gas and petrol
The subtank has been removed at the rear to accommodate LPG tank.
LPG system is the two big round alloy components in the engine bay, plus flashlube valve lubrication system (installed because LPG converted engines had a tendency to wear valve guides prematurely)
Personally, I'm not a fan of the LPG conversions
ymmv

Looks like its had a good clean up underneath. Has had some engine oil leaks in the past.

Looks quite clean :meh:

Its got aftermarket springs, shocks, steering damper, sway bar bushes fitted

Is been converted to dual fuel. LPG/Propane gas and petrol
The subtank has been removed at the rear to accommodate LPG tank.
LPG system is the two big round alloy components in the engine bay, plus flashlube valve lubrication system (installed because LPG converted engines had a tendency to wear valve guides prematurely)
Personally, I'm not a fan of the LPG conversions
ymmv

Looks like its had a good clean up underneath. Has had some engine oil leaks in the past.
The appearance of the interior is what drew me to this one. The cleanest I found.

Have you ever driven an RHD in the US?

Drive through anything (pharmacies, fast food, ATMs, parking garages) are worthless if you're solo. Forget about passing anyone on a country road, not a huge deal in a molasses slow 80. Unless you live in bumfart nowhere and don't have to interact with anyone while in the vehicle it's doable.

LPG conversion can be a headache because during engine work you'll run into those systems as well.

Unmolested 80 would be worth it, but this isn't unmolested.

What's the big round thing on the air intake tube before the manifold?

edit: looks like part of the propane system?

Last edited:
What's the big round thing on the air intake tube before the manifold?

edit: looks like part of the propane system?
Yes. They use an evaporator ( to the right of the engine) then vapour is injected into the intake through the big doughnut thing in the intake.

Lots of extra hoses and plumbing. They are problematic for tuning. They either run great on LPG or great on petrol. Not both. They can have problems starting.
Gas tanks have to be pressure tested and the whole system recertified every ten years in Australia.

I would not touch lpg with a 40ft pole. Not a fan

Yes. They use an evaporator ( to the right of the engine) then vapour is injected into the intake through the big doughnut thing in the intake.

Lots of extra hoses and plumbing. They are problematic for tuning. They either run great on LPG or great on petrol. Not both. They can have problems starting.
Gas tanks have to be pressure tested and the whole system recertified every ten years in Australia.

I would not touch lpg with a 40ft pole. Not a fan
In my experience, like you've said it's one or the other. Quite a few years ago I had a GQ SWB with a turbo TB42 in it, ended up with a gas research dedicated LPG system and ice ignition. It was a nightmare on the first start of the day and ran like garbage until she had enough heat in the coolant to vaporise the LPG properly presumably. Once it was warm tho, oooh yeah!
Had a dual fuel system on my FJ45 (first cruiser) and it either would run decent on petrol/gas or LPG/propane - never could get it to run well on both. Ended up disposing of the LPG setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom