Events/Trails 10th Annual 100s in the Hills! *Silverton, Colorado July 22 - 27 2020* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No excuse for this to be the way forward from now on for HIH’s. GMRS is way to simple and the fact that the cheap handhelds work means there will be plenty to loan out to all the HAM nerds and people who refuse to let CB go.
Dude, I gave you a sweet CB antenna at HIH9 and now I'm a HAM nerd?! Sheesh... coolest guy we knew! :D:p

Thanks Lee. That means a lot. Chris and I are super proud of what HIH has become and there are a ton of people (you included) that help make that happen.

Silverton will always be our home but the trails are getting so busy. Remember when Super Secret was actually a secret? Anyone seen the new Honda commercial? It's Super Secret, South Mineral, Ophir and the river trail.

I've been working on a HIH Montana for a few years. Chris @bluecruiser and Andy @AimCOtaco and Makee @smakee and Alex @dubitup are finally coming around. Tiny town (way smaller than Silverton), incredible scenery, beautiful trails, wolves, grizzly bears, moose, elk, deer, close to Yellowstone, great fly fishing..... but it'll be like starting over in Ironton. No cell service, very limited accommodations, very limited services of any kind. We've been traveling and staying there for years as a family and we know most of the full-time residents now. I've been working with the small Chamber of Commerce on ideas of how to accommodate 50 trucks and 100+ people. Checking out a potential lodge in May.

But first..... HIHX.
Sign me up!

I'm still hoping for HIH East of the Mississippi. A 26 hour drive (realistically 30+ with the 10+ fuel stops) from SC really kills if for me, even though I'd absolutely love to go.
Is there the terrain for it?

Who cares if theres a 200’s event staged 45min away.

Silverton feels like the home of HIH- I look forward to the pilgrimage from the South East across the sweltering plains to be greeted by the San Juans. Just an awesome and unique place to be.

Due to a kid that played tournament baseball, I was never really able to do HIH, until "the HIH that wasn't" (2020).

While I'd probably follow HIH anywhere, I have a hard time imagining anywhere, other than maybe Utah, with the same density of interesting trails. It's probably "old hat" for many of you, but as a "flat lander", nearly 6 months later I'm still in awe of Silverton.

It seems that the 200 series LCDC event occurs on roughly the same weekend every year, but changes location from year to year. While it was inconsiderate that they didn't "reach out" to the HIH coordinators, does it really have any significant impact? Maybe it was the coronapocalypse, or maybe that's just the usual level of traffic in Silverton in the summer, but would we really notice if ~100 Jeeps or ATVs were replaced by 200 series?

I found it somewhat interesting that while we were in Silverton in 2020, we were asked multiple times if we were with HIH. Each time we explained that HIH was cancelled, but we had been planning on attending, had already scheduled our vacation. We seemed to be treated like kings. I don't know if that was due to the HIH connection, or they just appreciated any tourist during the coronapocalypse. It seems that it would be a shame to lose the community connection that HIH seems to have with Silverton.

Thanks Lee. That means a lot. Chris and I are super proud of what HIH has become and there are a ton of people (you included) that help make that happen.

Silverton will always be our home but the trails are getting so busy. Remember when Super Secret was actually a secret? Anyone seen the new Honda commercial? It's Super Secret, South Mineral, Ophir and the river trail.

I've been working on a HIH Montana for a few years. Chris @bluecruiser and Andy @AimCOtaco and Makee @smakee and Alex @dubitup are finally coming around. Tiny town (way smaller than Silverton), incredible scenery, beautiful trails, wolves, grizzly bears, moose, elk, deer, close to Yellowstone, great fly fishing..... but it'll be like starting over in Ironton. No cell service, very limited accommodations, very limited services of any kind. We've been traveling and staying there for years as a family and we know most of the full-time residents now. I've been working with the small Chamber of Commerce on ideas of how to accommodate 50 trucks and 100+ people. Checking out a potential lodge in May.

But first..... HIHX.
HIH-MT would be awesome!
There's a healthy showing of Hundys in our Bozeman based club. I'm sure you could find some volunteers in our group for event time, or early season recon.
406 Cruisers
Let me know if I can help in any way when you're ready. :steer:

Having not been, I know there are tons of trails at Windrock. But I thinking more of the open space and public land access of the West vs. having to stay in a private offroading park like Windrock. That being said, Windrock is probably the best bet. There's Rausch Creek in PA, but that's no where near the size of Windrock. And it's more crawling oriented than a lot of the trails out West that may not be the most technical at all times, but you are in a gorgeous setting.

#HIHfranchise

Regional events might be an option? Work with original event organizers to get guidance on how to questions, then develop something nearer to your locale.
Of course it wouldn't be the same but maybe you can capture a little of the magic without the 30 hour drive.
Kind of like the burning man regional events but you know hopefully with shower options and less nudity

there was talk of a Eastern 100 series meetup, separate from HIH, but it never went anywhere. HIH is its own legal nonprofit entity and needs to remain under the direction of its directors.

For the group aspect, I get it, but for everything else... there is SO much you can do with HAM. Send texts to a cell phone (without cell service), send location beacons, call for help (the repeater network is incredible). FRS is power limited. GMRS still requires a license (albeit, no one seems to care) and the repeaters are few and far between and hardly in use.

And yeah... I will use any excuse to talk about HAM radio :flipoff2:
Do you run mobile HF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom