New owner of 2nd Gen 4Runner - recommended maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tranny: 75W90 Valvoline conventional (NO SYN).
Diffs: 80W90 Valvoline syn or conventional.

Driveshafts. There should be a zerk fitting on both u-joints. Look again. On the double-cardon there will be 3 zerks.

For parts I'm a big fan of OEM. But, Aisin & Denso aftermarket are acceptable too. They are OEM providers and are available for less money. They are not always exactly the same (Denso sparkplug wires are different than OEM), but most stuff is. This includes clutch master/slave cylinders (Aisin), clutch (Aisin), timing covers (Aisin), water pump (Aisin), oil pump (Aisin), spark plugs (Denso), alternator (Denso), starter (Denso), fuel pump (Denso), misc sensors (Denso). For things like bearings Koyo and Timkin are OEM providers. NGK/NTK stuff is good too.

Reactions: Zor
Hello again everyone,
I recently noticed a fluid leak but I'm not sure where it may be coming from. I noticed the passenger side idle arm is covered and the area near the front "hook", so maybe something above it. I attached a couple of pictures, one from under the car and another from the wheel well. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_3241.jpeg

IMG_3242.jpeg

Is the fluid red? Based on the 2nd picture, It's probably blood from a cat that you ran over. :)

"Cat" the cat is alive and well. The fluid is not red, I wonder if it's coming from the power steering pump or reservoir? I know these trucks use ATF perhaps the previous owner didn't use it, can that cause a leak?

"Cat" the cat is alive and well. The fluid is not red, I wonder if it's coming from the power steering pump or reservoir? I know these trucks use ATF perhaps the previous owner didn't use it, can that cause a leak?

Fluid could be original and burnt in appearance too. Check your pump, steering box, and hoses for moisture.

I wonder if it's coming from the power steering pump or reservoir? I know these trucks use ATF perhaps the previous owner didn't use it, can that cause a leak?
Check the hoses from the cooler. They get brittle and start leaking. Too often this simple problem/fix is over analyzed into something much more sinister.

So I took another look and found the leak is not coming from the PS pump or reservoir. The fluid looks like it brake fluid. It does appear to be coming from this "thing" right below the battery. I'm not sure what it does but it does look like the "hose" it's meant to drain. Any ideas?

IMG_3250.jpeg

IMG_3253.jpeg

Charcoal canister drain hose? Not sure where it is exactly on the v6, but mine has a little hose with an end cut on a bias. Hangs down near the frame rail.

Have a quality head gasket kit on hand. I wouldnt bother with any exhaust mods. Cylinder 1 has the same design flaw as 6 and is no where near the exhaust crossover. Clean up all around that leak area see if it comes back.

I did some googling and it seems like it's coming from the ABS modulator/actuator. It looks like there is a drain hose.

brake fluid has a cornstarch feel to it. Hot water works great for cleanup. prolonged exposure will strip paint. I have had leaks on master cylinders that were remedied with snugging up the fittings with a flare wrench.

So I disconnected all the ABS system things including the rear speed sensor, ABS ECU (under the dash), the ABS sensor under the hood and the modulator/actuator. The rear ABS lights are off and it appears the ABS modulator is not leaking anymore. However, my aftermarket radio does not turn on. I disconnected the battery while I was unplugging the ABS ecu and when i plugged it back it activated the horn. I turn on the car and the played around with this switch (see pictures) which appears to be connected to some sort of "security sensor" under the hood. The previous owner didnt know what or how it works. I know that it turns on the small light but not sure of its purpose.
I checked all the fuses inside the car and under the hood and they are normal. I planned on taking the radio out and checking the fuse or perhaps connecting the old radio to see if it has to do with some sort of anti-theft system?
Any thoughts?

IMG_3231.jpeg

IMG_3240.jpeg

IMG_3244.jpeg

I loathe aftermarket security systems and even more so the people that “install” them. If you can’t get a handle on it then I would seriously consider removing the entire security system. As much as that sounds impossible, you can almost always see how they hacked the wiring and undo it.

I loathe aftermarket security systems and even more so the people that “install” them. If you can’t get a handle on it then I would seriously consider removing the entire security system. As much as that sounds impossible, you can almost always see how they hacked the wiring and undo it.
I got the radio working by plugging the old in and out. Not sure what that did. Still not sure what the switch does but I'm not going to mess with it, yet.
Thanks for the help.

So over the last few months, I’ve been doing maintenance on the truck. It’s been running great outside of the ABS stuff, which I recently removed.
But, I recently replaced my power steering hoses (pressure and return) on my '93 4runner 2wd and in the process, I broke the air valve. I ended up gluing it back and putting it back on since it was only the ends where the hoses connect. I put it back in and now it's running rich (I assume since there is lots of black smoke coming out of the exhaust), it idles quite low, and it's making a ticking noise from the back of the air intake. I capped off the air valve and the hoses and it ran ok until it warmed up then ran rough. I went to the junkyard today and picked up a used air valve from an 87 corolla and it's still running rough.
I recently changed all the accessory belts and removed the ABS actuator.
I plan on buying a new PS air valve, any thoughts on the Dorman brand?
Also, any thoughts on how should I go about diagnosing what may be causing the rough idle and richness?

Throwing a check engine light?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom