91 FJ80 first mods? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I have a 91 fj80, and I want to make it into something for occasional fire roads and sleeping inside the vehicle. I've already got 31" K02's. What should I do next? Comms? Rear bar to gain some departure angle? Front bar? Other than the tires the rig is stock. Any ideas would be real helpful. Thanks guys.

PM everything. Spend the money rebuilding, repairing, or replacing old and tired components. Reliability is the most important thing initially. Once that's completely done, then you can start fun stuff. I recommend skid plates and sliders as a good first "fun" investment.

I have a list of PM items here. anything I should add?
Screenshot (1).png

Couple of things.

This is a 29 year old vehicle. Replace all rubber bits and pieces. That's belts, hoses, soft brake lines, etc. Use OEM parts.
You are going to want to rebuild the front calipers and possibly the rear wheel cylinders. Use OEM rebuild kits.
You probably want a new Aisin FCT-049 fan clutch. Again, 29 years old.

You don't have CVs, you have birfield joints.
The transmission filter is a steel mesh screen that gets cleaned and reused.

In short, every item on your list that has "CHECK" should be replaced.

You hit on most of the maintenance stuff. I would replace the fuel sock in the gas tank and maybe upgrade to a higher output alternator (stock is 80 amps). I'd also consider the following:

- Replace the PCV and associated hoses: 80 Series 1FZ PCV Valve Kit
- Replace the coolant (don't know how long it's been in there) and change the thermostat: 80 Series 1FZ Thermostat and Bypass O-Ring Kit. Also, replacing the radiator cap is probably a good idea.
- New/extra fusible link: Fusible Link for 80 Series Land Cruiser
- Make sure that your water pump is in good shape.
- Go ahead and replace the vacuum lines. They're cheap: OEM Vacuum Hose Kit- 3.5mm

Good Luck!

Last edited:
This^

Plus, replace the radiator. Toyota runs the trans cooler line through the rad so, if it corrodes, you have pink milk shake and a trans rebuild in your future.

Clean the engine compartment first, steam clean is well worth the money. This way you accomplish two things. First, it is so much nicer to wrench on a clean engine, second, you can find oil leaks so much more easily when they occur.

PM is going to be expensive but as Jon said, all the rubber is old. You wouldn't drive on 29 year old tires... would you?

Ignore the sales links in this post, they are for a 1fz-fe, you have the 3FE. But still good maintenance suggestions.

You hit on most of the maintenance stuff. I would replace the fuel sock in the gas tank and maybe upgrade to a higher output alternator (stock is 80 amps). I'd also consider the following:

- Replace the coolant (don't know how long it's been in there) and change the thermostat: 80 Series 1FZ Thermostat and Bypass O-Ring Kit. Also, replacing the radiator cap is probably a good idea.
- Go ahead and replace the vacuum lines. They're cheap: OEM Vacuum Hose Kit- 3.5mm

Good Luck!

Good Luck!
If its a 1991 he has a 3fe not a 1fz

Im having issues with the cruise control. when I drive and try to turn on the CC, the solid green "cruise" light comes on but it doesnt hold the speed. Any Ideas?

I have the same issue. Probably the speed sensor or so I believe. It's discontinued so you'd have to find one from a junkyard or search on mud. There are some aftermarket ones as well.

wouldn't that effect the speedometer? My speedo is just fine.

If you check underneath the truck, the speedo cable feeds through the speed sensor. It's attached to the transfer case. The speed sensor might be the one that needs replacing. I'm not saying that's the issue, just happened to be the case for me.

In my case the speedo works fine but the cruise control didn't work.

Good luck!

Check to make sure that the cable between the cruise control actuator and the throttle body is adjusted properly. Not tight but only a very slight amount of slack.

Im having issues with the cruise control. when I drive and try to turn on the CC, the solid green "cruise" light comes on but it doesnt hold the speed. Any Ideas?
There is a troubleshooting procedure for the CC system in the FSM.

Most common cause of this is the speed sensor. I don't have a link but there is a company in Australia that makes the sensor. If I recall correctly it was called a hall effect speed sensor. Sorry I can't remember the company's name but I ordered one a few years ago for my 91 and it worked perfect. Even though it fixed the cruise control there were not many times I could use the cruise control on the 91. It was just to gutless with all the hills in my area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom