1973 FJ40 SM465 Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, makes sense. You have a setup similar to mine. Here’s a pic of the spud shaft on the TC. I’m just going to replace that seal and use my replacement bearing. I’ll see how it holds up. Like you said, it’s all paper gaskets everywhere else.

View attachment 2535938
And here’s the transmission. I’m going to convert it to a hydraulic throwout bearing. Will pull the seats out and cut the exhaust pipe that’s in the way later this week. Then it will hopefully (knock on wood) get installed. Also hoping my modified driveshafts will fit too.

825DC105-AE9D-4358-ABE1-74990B87E5ED.jpeg

D49B5650-4B5B-444A-A6BF-93F1F8BDD3D6.jpeg

17310C70-1D71-4FB6-91D6-197E54A60E38.jpeg

i looked at some old pics i took of mine slightly different spud shaft ,i only have one seal on mine its in the Tcase and it would be the OEM Toyota seal ,that the input gear would seal against ,on my sm465 output ,no seal ,open bearing ,then adapter housing then the spud shaft is installed into tcase ,you would have to pull spud shaft to change seal in tcase ,couple pics
first pic ,no seal inside SM465 and open bearing ,gear oil can get into the space inside the adapter
second pic shows where seal would be located inside tcase , the internal gear of tcase that runs inside of the Toyota seal for the input shaft gear, or your spud shaft would go through this seal that's found inside tcase after pulling your spud shaft out,
third pic is the AA bearing from kit that is sealed that keeps the oil in the tcase if it was not a sealed bearing all the gear oil would flow between the two cases ,usually overfilling the tcase leaving a low gear oil level in SM465 but only one seal it seams in this setup ,and one sealed bearing a;ll to keep gear oil in tcase the sm465 can leak into the adapter housing ,just paper gaskets between the adapter housings,

hope this makes a bit of sense, hard typing on my old iphone 5S .im getting to old i cant see the tiny keyboard very well lol

,,,View attachment 2535495View attachment 2535497View attachment 2535502
Yup, so I started pulling on that leaky seal and it looks like I have to take the whole shaft out. Do you just do that by removing the 32mm nut on the other side beneath the cover? I’m afraid everything is gonna fall out if I do that.

Yup, so I started pulling on that leaky seal and it looks like I have to take the whole shaft out. Do you just do that by removing the 32mm nut on the other side beneath the cover? I’m afraid everything is gonna fall out if I do that.
Yep exactly. Take the nut off and push the shaft out. If ya take the side cover or top cover off u can see the two gears or one gear and a couple spacers that may drop down but that’s it. Not much to worry about.

Yep exactly. Take the nut off and push the shaft out. If ya take the side cover or top cover off u can see the two gears or one gear and a couple spacers that may drop down but that’s it. Not much to worry about.
Got it. Is it reverse threads or anything? I’m probably going to try to get it started off with my impact.

No it’s not ,, it’s probably not that tight either.
Well pretty sure it’s not reverse thread lol
I hit it with the impact and it came off pretty easy. Just waiting on the replacement seal to come in now.

6E49BAE1-1A49-401C-A077-A1141FFE70B3.jpeg

11B6445E-0EFD-42DA-9ECF-6D45E1D2E6A4.jpeg

AF6CCA67-8FB2-4540-A9AC-C3D01F759ADB.jpeg

Nice looks good ,I can’t remember ,it’s been awhile but I think you might have to put that seal in ,to me what looks like it’s in backwards. ,, you might want to look into that. ,, I can’t remember, also I could be wrong but i remember having to flip a seal around so it ran properly on the sealing surface ,, I don’t know actually that may be the tranny front bearing retainer I’m thinking of ,

Nice looks good ,I can’t remember ,it’s been awhile but I think you might have to put that seal in ,to me what looks like it’s in backwards. ,, you might want to look into that. ,, I can’t remember, also I could be wrong but i remember having to flip a seal around so it ran properly on the sealing surface ,, I don’t know actually that may be the tranny front bearing retainer I’m thinking of ,
It very well could have been in backwards. It leaked like crazy and there isn’t any oil in it! I’ll see if I can find a good diagram when I go to put the new one in. Thanks for the heads up. These two pics kind of show how it was in there before I popped it out.
D460C72B-F900-41D6-9CE4-AF33E53758A7.jpeg
FA245E8C-A5C5-4E47-974B-6E90CDB08118.jpeg

Alright, got a replacement seal. I’m not sure which way it goes. I’ve looked at a couple of different threads on here and there doesn’t seem to be a definite answer. This is from looking into the hole on the transfer case. This would be facing the output of the SM465. Does the side with the writing (the NOK number) face the transmission? The other side is channeled while what looks like is the front is flat. I would think that flat side with the writing would face the transmission and that channeled side would be in the case.

90DC3AAD-3721-4CBB-88AF-84318B34CFE9.jpeg

186F4F57-E145-4074-AE67-FF26FB16F8FE.jpeg

Alright, got a replacement seal. I’m not sure which way it goes. I’ve looked at a couple of different threads on here and there doesn’t seem to be a definite answer. This is from looking into the hole on the transfer case. This would be facing the output of the SM465. Does the side with the writing (the NOK number) face the transmission? The other side is channeled while what looks like is the front is flat. I would think that flat side with the writing would face the transmission and that channeled side would be in the case.

View attachment 2545365

View attachment 2545366
And now I’m wondering, does this spring that’s on the shaft go inside that seal and it has just popped out here...

C66C3358-7BAC-4E26-83B6-D9E4F3B15919.jpeg

The spring is from the old seal. If the spring stayed on the shaft, then the seal was probably installed with the spring side towards the gear.

I didn’t read the thread but the question was asked here

That spring is garbage ,it came out of that old seal. I’ll look around also at which way that seal gets installed
Yeah, that spring looks pretty janky. So it must have popped out facing into the transfer case. The replacement seal doesn’t have a spring. Where do you get that?

The spring is from the old seal. If the spring stayed on the shaft, then the seal was probably installed with the spring side towards the gear.
Yeah, looks like it popped out of that seal and stayed on the shaft. It looks like that happened before I started taking things apart.

I missed this one. Looks like they answered the question and it’s the opposite of what I was thinking and of how this was set up before. They say install with the spring facing towards the transmission, not the transfer case. Glad I asked. Should the new seal have had a spring in it? Mine doesn’t.

I think one thing that might make this different is that I’m using that spud shaft from the old AA adapter. I wonder if that affects which way it should go.

I don’t think it would in the end it’s the same all u want is for it Tovar’s seal against the input gear sealing surface. If that’s how they install it on a regular Toyota setup it would be the same with the spud shaft as the sealing surface is still the input gear

Your right it may be different with the AA kit. With it installed the way they said that would keep the gear oil in the transmission,, but with the AA kit you want the oil to stay in the tcase
you still need to figure out what the original role of the seal was in the Toyota stock application
Was it to keep oil in tranny or to keep oil in tcase. , where in your application you want it to keep the oil in the tcase not on the ground lol maybe that spud shaft is worn out and wobbles and destroys the seal. U could also just order up the newer style spud shaft ,, too. ,, probably don’t want to spend the cash right now.
How tight is the spud shaft coupler on the splines ? Is it a pretty good fit?
Just pondering what cause that seal to get destroyed. Cheers

Your right it may be different with the AA kit. With it installed the way they said that would keep the gear oil in the transmission,, but with the AA kit you want the oil to stay in the tcase
you still need to figure out what the original role of the seal was in the Toyota stock application
Was it to keep oil in tranny or to keep oil in tcase. , where in your application you want it to keep the oil in the tcase not on the ground lol maybe that spud shaft is worn out and wobbles and destroys the seal. U could also just order up the newer style spud shaft ,, too. ,, probably don’t want to spend the cash right now.
How tight is the spud shaft coupler on the splines ? Is it a pretty good fit?
Just pondering what cause that seal to get destroyed. Cheers
I do want it to keep oil in the transfer case, not the ground. Ha ha! The old shaft seemed tight in the bearing before I took it off. I just started taking things apart because it leaks so bad. I’ll send a picture and maybe a video of the spud shaft. I don’t know if it’s good or not. I thought it was but that spring is totally out of that seal. Where in the heck do you get that spring by itself? I don’t see where you can order it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom