Wits End Turbo Owners (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the same thing happen. Not a full pipe off though. I didn't bother with reclocking it since that was a PIA! I just bent a new pipe and welded it on. See by build page for details. Somewhere near 3/4 mark. The proper way is to reclock it though.

Thanks @OutlawMike and @spyduh - I took a look at loosening the bolts on the turbo and the v-clamps but the pipe needed to move from back to front. The only way that would happen with the turbo loose would be for the bottom flange to be elevated from the j-pipe flange. Slacking the v-clamps would let it move but, end the end, I just slowly muscled it forward a bit. I also went to the muffler shop and had them flare the cat pipe which gave the downpipe a place to land.

After I flexed the downpipe a bit my full pipe misalignment went to < 1/2 a pipe. This and the flare let me land the downpipe in a good place. I cut the cat pipe square but the angle is off with respect to the downpipe - I will address that with the grinder tomorrow and then weld that sucker!

Thanks all!

Untitled by jeff elliott, on Flickr

Thanks @OutlawMike and @spyduh - I took a look at loosening the bolts on the turbo and the v-clamps but the pipe needed to move from back to front. The only way that would happen with the turbo loose would be for the bottom flange to be elevated from the j-pipe flange. Slacking the v-clamps would let it move but, end the end, I just slowly muscled it forward a bit. I also went to the muffler shop and had them flare the cat pipe which gave the downpipe a place to land.

After I flexed the downpipe a bit my full pipe misalignment went to < 1/2 a pipe. This and the flare let me land the downpipe in a good place. I cut the cat pipe square but the angle is off with respect to the downpipe - I will address that with the grinder tomorrow and then weld that sucker!

Thanks all!

by jeff elliott, on Flickr
Looks good enough to me. Burn it in!

Ok first start post turbo - everything sounds ok but I've got some smoke coming from the hot side of the turbo. I'm assuming this is anti-rust coating and / or some oil I spilled when filling the turbo - that said, I was afraid to take the first drive until I checked with you guys.

Anyone else had smoke on first start up?

IIRC others posted that is will smoke a pinch. I think on Joey's Facebook turbo page, it shows that it smokes. Can't remember if it's from the oil added or a heat cycle

thats normal for the first few runs. It'll eventually burn away. Same as if you rebuilt a motor after a HG pop. Just monitor it and make sure it goes away. Also make sure all the oil lines are leak free. You might need to snug down a line or two if its not tight.

The coating on the parts will burn off, and the turbo blanket and downpipe blanked themselves may have a little smoke to let off. Check for oil leaks to be sure, but should be OK to drive and it'll be gone in a day.

Ok first start post turbo - everything sounds ok but I've got some smoke coming from the hot side of the turbo. I'm assuming this is anti-rust coating and / or some oil I spilled when filling the turbo - that said, I was afraid to take the first drive until I checked with you guys.

Anyone else had smoke on first start up?
So. . When are you going to post a video and have a photo shoot? 😉

Took it for the first drive today... I think I was expecting more "grunt" but I do like the way it pulls much more now. It's not really an obvious change until about 3k RPM. That said, the truck just feels a lot less "heavy" now. Note that this was after only a 3 mile drive.

My downpipe to cat connection pushed the cats down and they hit the sliders so tomorrow I get to cut that weld, heat up the cat pipe and try to bend it enough to get a better fit and get the cats back up in their original position.

I do think the smoke has burned off and appreciate you guys confirming that I hadn't done something stupid!

Folks - Misalignment of exhaust was due to my installation of a 4x4 Labs bumper which requires deletion of the resonator and associated hanger... This let the entire exhaust system rotate outboard and down. I updated my original post to reflect this. Sorry @NLXTACY - your downpipe was on point - my cats were very much in the wrong place.

So. . When are you going to post a video and have a photo shoot? 😉
You realize that @Jeff Elliott is in Denver, NC, just north of Charlotte. I've got to have my engine rebuilt but I too am considering the turbo option. It doesn't look like I will be getting a 40 as a play toy anytime soon.

You realize that @Jeff Elliott is in Denver, NC, just north of Charlotte. I've got to have my engine rebuilt but I too am considering the turbo option. It doesn't look like I will be getting a 40 as a play toy anytime soon.
Yes. We have been in conversation. I arrive to NC next week, so we'll be setting up a time to check it out.

Unfortunately, I moved just as the kit came out and my new shop is still in progress. I have the kit in boxes and the powertrain out of the truck.

I really want to get this kit. Question is how difficult would it be to swap out the turbo back to stock and stock back to turbo after final installation? I would need to have the truck smogged every two years and if its easy enough to do ill pull the trigger. Im relying on the past installers input to see if this is even feasible.

Thanks for your help.

I really want to get this kit. Question is how difficult would it be to swap out the turbo back to stock and stock back to turbo after final installation? I would need to have the truck smogged every two years and if its easy enough to do ill pull the trigger. Im relying on the past installers input to see if this is even feasible.

Thanks for your help.
Completely doable. Now that I have done it I could probably pull it all off in a couple of hours. I would suggest buying a set of manifolds, with downpipe and cat as that's the only part that's hard.

That said, this thing is supposed to be CARB compliant soon. I don't see any reason it wouldn't pass smog then. Thus, you could pass smog now stock and then bolt on the kit - you'd have 2 years for Joey to get the certificate.

Completely doable. Now that I have done it I could probably pull it all off in a couple of hours. I would suggest buying a set of manifolds, with downpipe and cat as that's the only part that's hard.

That said, this thing is supposed to be CARB compliant soon. I don't see any reason it wouldn't pass smog then. Thus, you could pass smog now stock and then bolt on the kit - you'd have 2 years for Joey to get the certificate.
Does anyone have recent info on where Joey is at with CARB cert? I have mine registered at my parents place, which is not covered by biannual smog. But, would like the cert long term.

God bless Joey and all his hard work and sacrifice he has done to make this kit happen but I have a feeling that the CARB cert isn't on the radar with the COVID surge and unfortunate challenges that we are all experiencing. I don't want this opportunity to disappear so the extra work every two years will be well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom