1982 FJ40 Shock question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noobie here. First post. I am changing the shocks on my 1982 FJ40. Ordered Old Man Emu shocks and anticipate they will arrive any day. I noticed when I removed the old shocks that all had a washer on both sides of the shock bushing except the rear uppers. These had no inside washer, but only the outside washer. Is this normal, or should I add an inside washer when I put the new shocks on? Also, my current hardware is a lock washer and nut to secure the shocks. Should I switch to Neoprene locking nuts or stick with the same setup? Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to Mud.

It's been long enough since I replaced the shocks on my 1980 that I don't remember the washer situation, but I also don't remember any unusual washer configuration - just the normal dished ones that came with my (Bilstein) shocks. I can go look in the morning when there's light to see though.

Welcome to Mud.

It's been long enough since I replaced the shocks on my 1980 that I don't remember the washer situation, but I also don't remember any unusual washer configuration - just the normal dished ones that came with my (Bilstein) shocks. I can go look in the morning when there's light to see though.
Thanks for your prompt reply- that would be great.

Thanks for your prompt reply- that would be great.

The (Bilstein) shocks on my 1980. As you can see, there's just the convex washers that came with the shocks. I used the plain nuts and lock washers that were there previously.

Upper rear shock mount:

IMG_1632[1].JPG

Upper front shock mount:

IMG_1634[1].JPG

There should be two dished washers that slightly cup around the rubber bushing on each end. So 4 cupped washers for a single shock installation. A regular flat washer would suffice as a replacement, but new shocks that I have seen do come with the cupped washers for each end, Bilsteins shocks anyway, can't speak for others.

Got it done. Rides great! Thanks for making my first Mud experience work out well. I'm sure to have lots more questions as I get to know this FJ better.

Got it done. Rides great! Thanks for making my first Mud experience work out well. I'm sure to have lots more questions as I get to know this FJ better.
Welcome to the addiction. Ran same Bilsteins on my ‘76 and soon on my ‘78 as well, much more controlled👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom