Events/Trails 10th Annual 100s in the Hills! *Silverton, Colorado July 22 - 27 2020* (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GMRS/FRS :ninja:

I’ve got a few myself:)
Did I see your Lx470 being sold on BaT? Man it would have been a treat to see it in person at one of these events!

what do i have to do to convince you to go the HAM route?!
I definitely want time get into ham at some point, but the fact that anyone can go to Walmart or Lowe’s and pick up a cheap FRS handheld and be loud and clear in a group ride is what sways me to GMRS/FRS,
I have a 40 watt mounted in the truck plus I always keep at least 2 handhelds with me to give out if needed(as do most of the guys i wheel with).
Its just very simple, convenient, and effective.

I definitely want time get into ham at some point, but the fact that anyone can go to Walmart or Lowe’s and pick up a cheap FRS handheld and be loud and clear in a group ride is what sways me to GMRS/FRS,
I have a 40 watt mounted in the truck plus I always keep at least 2 handhelds with me to give out if needed(as do most of the guys i wheel with).
Its just very simple, convenient, and effective.

For the group aspect, I get it, but for everything else... there is SO much you can do with HAM. Send texts to a cell phone (without cell service), send location beacons, call for help (the repeater network is incredible). FRS is power limited. GMRS still requires a license (albeit, no one seems to care) and the repeaters are few and far between and hardly in use.

And yeah... I will use any excuse to talk about HAM radio :flipoff2:

For the group aspect, I get it, but for everything else... there is SO much you can do with HAM. Send texts to a cell phone (without cell service), send location beacons, call for help (the repeater network is incredible). FRS is power limited. GMRS still requires a license (albeit, no one seems to care) and the repeaters are few and far between and hardly in use.

And yeah... I will use any excuse to talk about HAM radio :flipoff2:
I agree about the superiority of ham. All of those reasons you list is why I want to get into ham for my personal use, but I couldn’t ever expect everyone to show up with ham on a group ride at an event.
As far as FRS being under powered it’s been great for our uses. Tail can talk to lead spread out over a few miles in the mountains. That’s awesome for group rides. CB is dead.

Did I see your Lx470 being sold on BaT? Man it would have been a treat to see it in person at one of these events!

GA.jpg

Hey I'm no expert but the handheld ham radios sell for about $35. And I think can access GRMS/FRS frequencies.
I know Ham requires a license but from what I hear as long as you stay off the emergency channels no one bothers you. And its perfectly fine to listen, its just when you transmit that requires a license.

I agree about the superiority of ham. All of those reasons you list is why I want to get into ham for my personal use, but I couldn’t ever expect everyone to show up with ham on a group ride at an event.
As far as FRS being under powered it’s been great for our uses. Tail can talk to lead spread out over a few miles in the mountains. That’s awesome for group rides. CB is dead.

Yeah, as far as the expectation... I get it. GMRS beats CB. But GMRS and HAM both require similar kit for similar money, and the test isn't that hard for HAM. Shouting out the window beats CB as far as I am concerned. BUT last event it was a game changer having my HAM radio... I was able to hit base camp in silverton during most of the runs, had APRS tracks the entire trip (including driving through the huge reservations from AZ), and it was nice to be able to chat with the other ham operators on the run, weather they were at base or on another run. I like talking about Radios... I am a nerd :grinpimp::flipoff2:

Hey I'm no expert but the handheld ham radios sell for about $35. And I think can access GRMS/FRS frequencies.
I know Ham requires a license but from what I hear as long as you stay off the emergency channels no one bothers you. And its perfectly fine to listen, its just when you transmit that requires a license.

*technically* it's against the law.... how/when/if anyone were to get after you for it, is a different story. It's all based on type certification, not necessarily hardware capabilities. UV5R is $35, the programming cable is about $15, and CHiRP software is free. You'd be surprised how much you can do and learn with that little radio.

There are no true "emergency" channels on HAM. If you get on a local repeater and bug people, that's a sure way to get in trouble... those cranky old folks will fox hunt you and get your general location and get it to the FCC if you do it long enough. Will the FCC do anything about it? who knows... they seem to only get after the real extreme offenders (aka, pirate radio and companies selling kit that's not licensed for the freq it uses).

Pre-HIHX.2 coms discussion??? we all know we're going to have to slap the magnetic CB antenna on the roof for the three days a year we use CB. 10-4 good buddy :steer:
any excuse to talk comms ;)

GMRS license has now been lowered to $35

And the FCC is cracking down on Rugged Radios

That was the BS keeping me from going GMRS. At $35 for the family thats reasonable. The $70 was just a made up number that was way to high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom