Need advice: Potential purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright guy.... make with the pictures. You can't go 2 pages on a "should I buy it?" thread without posting some. I'm pretty sure it's in the Mud EULA somewhere.

I have 25K and based on what’s been stated thusfar, I would buy it quickly. Immediately. California cruiser. No rust. Buy it!

Cruisers aren’t money pits. But get your wallet out. You’ll want more than you can imagine right now.

80sand100s By the time you get done thinking about whether or not to buy it, someone else might pony up the 25G's the sellers asking, and buy it out from underneath you. So if it were me, and i had the 25 grand available, and really wanted an 80 series Land Cruiser I'd be making up my mind real quick, because nice, clean, low mile Cruisers don't stay on the "for sale" market very long. Below is a link to a recent article that says that the 80 series Land Cruiser market is headed for an upswing in values and resale prices.​

Rifleman and musthave you're totally right. The challenge is the car is located 10+ hours away so I wanted a PPI done before I made the trip out there. Hopefully I'm not too late. A few images below:

Black96LXFront.PNG

Black96LXFrontDriverUnder.PNG

Black96LXFrontPassUnder.PNG

Black96LXEnginebay.PNG

90k miles in the rust belt = 200k outside of the rust belt. That's no cherry.

90k miles in the rust belt = 200k outside of the rust belt. That's no cherry.
Based on what ? It's a calif. transplant, although not detailed, it looks clean!!

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice truck, just not $25k nice. And yeah, it's not much rust but that certainly looks like the beginnings of salt infused rust to me which means there's rust hiding other places as well. It's also an LX and while some people don't have an issue with that if you had to choose between an LX and a Land Cruiser, all else being equal, I'm guessing most people would pull the trigger on the Land Cruiser. Also, if I had a 90k mile 80 that I wanted to get a premium for I'd clean up the engine bay a bit. Not saying that couldn't be done later but certainly not the image I get when I hear "90k miles, California truck, last 4 years garage kept." If he gets $25k for that truck, good on him, but I'd peg it's value at $15k myself.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice truck, just not $25k nice. And yeah, it's not much rust but that certainly looks like the beginnings of salt infused rust to me which means there's rust hiding other places as well. It's also an LX and while some people don't have an issue with that if you had to choose between an LX and a Land Cruiser, all else being equal, I'm guessing most people would pull the trigger on the Land Cruiser. Also, if I had a 90k mile 80 that I wanted to get a premium for I'd clean up the engine bay a bit. Not saying that couldn't be done later but certainly not the image I get when I hear "90k miles, California truck, last 4 years garage kept." If he gets $25k for that truck, good on him, but I'd peg it's value at $15k myself.
I think you’re off a good bit at 15k, should it be mechanically sound and as clean as it appears from the few photos. Plenty of non locked 150k+ smile examples priced in the high teens. At national auction, there hasn’t been a cherry, sub 100k mile triple locked 80 series under 30k in the last year. As other contributors to this post have mentioned, if not purchased, someone will be right behind OP with cash in hand. Best of luck with PPI and a hopeful purchase.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom