Is the Land Cruiser officially dead? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why not? Americans are the reason the these premium brands exist (Lexus, Infinity and Acura). Honestly, it makes perfect sense.
Is the LX 570 that we get in the United States sold in the same configuration in any other country in the world? If I was Lexus and you got to keep it I just change the name from LX 572 Lexus Land Cruiser

The Lexus has been outselling the Land Cruiser and it adds seems to be an easier sell at the Lexus dealer.
Yea but Lexus also has the LX in their sales commercials, where you never see anything about the LC in Toyota sales commercials.

Fly to Ohio or some other market where people don’t care about LCs. A friend just bought a new 2021 for Costco pricing (10% off sticker) from a dealer in northern Ohio. He’s driving back to the PNW as I write this.

Which Ohio dealer?

Is the LX 570 that we get in the United States sold in the same configuration in any other country in the world? If I was Lexus and you got to keep it I just change the name from LX 572 Lexus Land Cruiser

Not entirely sure. I was speaking to the origins of why those “luxury” Japanese brands exist in the first place. Americans have a difficult time paying a premium if a luxury brand isn’t associated with it.

Can’t count how many times I’ve heard or read somebody say “$85k for a Toyota?!?”, particularly from journalists.

we get what we deserve I suppose. I’m glad that at least the LX variant will continue onward at least.

Woah, Dame has his own Toyota franchise?!

I wish I would have known this three months ago.
Yup! We're actually the fastest growing Toyota dealership on the west coast since opening in October. Feel free to hit me up if you need anything. I'm Dame's partner and a huge Toyota enthusiast. I've owned more than I can count.

I wish there was one in the Northeast. Believe me, I tried. The one dealer willing to give a deal didn't have inventory and couldn't tell me when they would. Your clientele is lucky to have dealers like you and Eric.
That sucks. I'm happy to help if I can. I can use my air miles to fly you out and you can take a road trip back in your new Crusher! I've got a new 2020 with 5k miles on it that the wife just stopped driving and a few Heritage Edition on the ground.

That sucks. I'm happy to help if I can. I can use my air miles to fly you out and you can take a road trip back in your new Crusher! I've got a new 2020 with 5k miles on it that the wife just stopped driving and a few Heritage Edition on the ground.
Thank you. That's a very kind and generous offer.

I gave up on getting my new '21 HE and ended up buying used (a Land Cruiser and a Tundra), so am out of the market for now.

No problem. Congrats on the '16. They're hard to find out here.

Yup! We're actually the fastest growing Toyota dealership on the west coast since opening in October. Feel free to hit me up if you need anything. I'm Dame's partner and a huge Toyota enthusiast. I've owned more than I can count.

Holy crap, that's awesome! Had I not found a local '18 pop up a few months ago, I'd be all over this. Big fan of Dame.

All we have here is a Michael Jordan Nissan, nothing to see there :)

Holy crap, that's awesome! Had I not found a local '18 pop up a few months ago, I'd be all over this. Big fan of Dame.

All we have here is a Michael Jordan Nissan, nothing to see there :)
Michael Jordan 👍 Nissan.......👎. Ha! Nissan actually doesn't make a bad product, they're just not in the same league as Toyota IMHO.

LX 300
I have always marvelled at the 200 and thought how can Toyota improve on this?!? Do you think they killed the LC in America because they are going down from the 200? V6 sounds like a huge downgrade even with turbos.

The LX sounds like they are going to do luxury type things to razzle dazzle but the 200 may remain offroad king.

I was originally feeling depressed about this but at the moment thinking the 200 land cruiser to be something special.

Last edited:
This is purely speculation, but strategically it makes sense for Toyota, to sell the new "300 series" as a Lexus only model with a greater emphasis on high tech features and luxury. This will allow the new LX to compete on equal footing with equivalent models from Land Rover, BMW, Nissan, Hyundai and the forthcoming Jeep Wagoneer. The departure of the 200 from the Toyota lineup then leaves a gap that would best be closed by a model that can compete with the Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator and the new Ford Bronco. The easy solution would be an update of the 70 Series Cruisers to modern safety standards and feature sets and bringing them to the US for the first time. A successful marketing campaign would be simple given the deep history and new presence in the States. They would also retain enough distinction from the 4 Runner to limit cannibalization. The 76 Wagon model and the 78 Troopy model would be ideal and compete on equal ground with the Wrangler and the Bronco. The 79 truck model would go head to head with the Jeep Gladiator, however it might be likely to cannibalize Tacoma sales. Alternatively Toyota could launch an all new model again to compete with Jeep and the Bronco. This would be something that is neither part of the 200 series lineage or the 70 Series linage, maybe a completely re-imagined FJ Cruiser with all new aesthetics, mechanicals and features. What seems very unlikely is for Toyota to not replace the 200 with something in their lineup. Doing so would leave too much market share to Jeep and Ford, sales that Toyota could easily capture with the right model. And the overall size of the rugged SUV market is a large growth category right now so Toyota will want a part of this that cannot be captured by the 4 Runner alone, even with the expected updates to that model.

If they want to go luxobarge with Lexus nameplate it should not be BOF 300-series based. Maybe unibody, or maybe BOF with IRS like Sequioa.

Maybe they will bring 300 positioned slightly lower in the market so for a better price (say $60k), but I have no idea if that's feasible or if it makes sense.

They will definitely not bring updated 70-series. Would have to be completely new design but there isn't room for that.

I think we'll get updated 4runner and that will have to do. They could replace it with the new Prado but I don't think that makes sense in the U.S. given 4runner market position.

Land Crusier is dead in the U.S. indeed (so I bought 2nd one).

Last edited:
Another strategy could be update/move 4runner little bit upmarket.

And bring FJ Cruiser back as cheaper/more rugged alternative to compete with Wrangler & Bronco. They would really have to make it convertible, but I am not sure Toyota has guts to do it.

At least hopefully they won't have Ford build rebadged Bronco as FJ Cruiser.... think BMW-made Supra ;)

I think they should have kept the 200, my only gripe is the amount of gas and oil it chugs. The only improvement I could imagine was electric but I haven't seen an EV motor have top end torque. I drove tesla p90 ludicrous and it was only ludicrous up to 80mph and then it would slow down. Oh and LC would have been nice with comfier seats. I wish they would have made a 4 row SUV to compete with suburban.

Im debating between 200 LC or LX in place of the 300 (been sitting on extra RW wheels for 5 years debating this). I have an LC I was originally thinking of an LX with 35s before they announced the death of the Land Cruiser. Its a friggen legend. I know some people have no problem dirtying their lexus and I didn't when it was 100, but the 200 I dont know why it looks wrong. Also, as much as I try to love AHC I can't. It makes sense for 35 tires but it disconnects too much from the road, kills all the fun in driving BUT gives better passenger comfort.

I think they should have kept the 200, my only gripe is the amount of gas and oil it chugs. The only improvement I could imagine was electric but I haven't seen an EV motor have top end torque. I drove tesla p90 ludicrous and it was only ludicrous up to 80mph and then it would slow down. Oh and LC would have been nice with comfier seats. I wish they would have made a 4 row SUV to compete with suburban.

Im debating between 200 LC or LX in place of the 300 (been sitting on extra RW wheels for 5 years debating this). I have an LC I was originally thinking of an LX with 35s before they announced the death of the Land Cruiser. Its a friggen legend. I know some people have no problem dirtying their lexus and I didn't when it was 100, but the 200 I dont know why it looks wrong. Also, as much as I try to love AHC I can't. It makes sense for 35 tires but it disconnects too much from the road, kills all the fun in driving BUT gives better passenger comfort.
From all the posts you have written about your desire to go FAST, I know what you mean about the AHC! I also feels like it is a bit disconnected when driving and I enjoy corners feeling planted. I am about to secure my 2021 LC and will be selling my 16, keeping my 15. I just really enjoy the 15 transmission a bit more and its also the one I use off road the most. The 21 will become my main off road car in about 4-5 yrs. So now to get the 16 ready for sale...

I am happy to have purchased a 2021 LC, but do not mourn it's pending demise. It is an exciting time in the automotive marketplace and not just specific to Toyota. Yes the updated Tundra, Tacoma and 4 Runner will be great and maybe we get a replacement of some kind for the beloved LC 200, but the new Bronco will be a great vehicle in it's target market and Jeep is doing interesting things with the Grand Cherokee, the Wagoneer and the Wrangler family. And let's not forget the pending EV revolution. In pretty short order the majority of road cars will be superior in an EV variant. Say what you will about history and the viseral pleasures of ICE powered cars, but EVs are better in most regards for most drivers. For off road use, ostensibly the market most representative of this forum, the EV future is still a long ways off because of energy density issues that limit range and lack of charging convenience because of remote locations. But these challenges will be overcome. Being a "car guy" is going to be a fun ride over the next 20 years.

From all the posts you have written about your desire to go FAST, I know what you mean about the AHC! I also feels like it is a bit disconnected when driving and I enjoy corners feeling planted. I am about to secure my 2021 LC and will be selling my 16, keeping my 15. I just really enjoy the 15 transmission a bit more and its also the one I use off road the most. The 21 will become my main off road car in about 4-5 yrs. So now to get the 16 ready for sale...

I thought 16 transmission was quicker and nicer? I know there were a few hiccups in the beginning but thats one feature I wish my 2009 had, snappier transmission. Thanks for commenting as Im always try to figure out why the LX never suited me. I love the luxury and other things about it.

LX 300

I have always marvelled at the 200 and thought how can Toyota improve on this?!? Do you think they killed the LC in America because they are going down from the 200? V6 sounds like a huge downgrade even with turbos.

The LX sounds like they are going to do luxury type things to razzle dazzle but the 200 may remain offroad king.

I was originally feeling depressed about this but at the moment thinking the 200 land cruiser to be something special.
You link does not work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom