C1201 code with 4lo and check engine lights flashing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2008 lx570 with 224k miles, all of a sudden started throwing c1201 and one other code i did not write down. I connected TIS and tried to clear but it is not clearing out and the 4lo or 4hi switching isnt working, also when i pressed locker switch that sign started flashing as well. It has happened in past few times but always get cleared whenever i clear it. This time it isnt going away. Dont know where to start looking, anyone have had experience with this? It drives fine without issues
DB67A458-5FB7-42B1-9BAC-B4C376CDF655.jpeg
9F26A2B1-7C31-4089-9E03-D784B7C6621D.jpeg

edit:
Tried with elm327 tool and tried to clear codes, all lights went away but the central diff locker light still blinking and car doesnt go in 4 lo, when i select 4lo nothing happens no light and also cannot select crawl mode, it says on display to get into 4lo first which means 4lo isnt engaging. Any ideas? Is it safe to drive with center locker light flashing?

Last edited:
Is this happening when the car is first turned on? Does this continue if the car has warmed up and you have driven around then cycle the car off and back on? Usually the flashing CDL means it is trying to engage/can't engage.

Is this happening when the car is first turned on? Does this continue if the car has warmed up and you have driven around then cycle the car off and back on? Usually the flashing CDL means it is trying to engage/can't engage.
It was consistent even after car turning off and on, then i used elm 327 reader and cleared all codes the codes went away and only flashing was CDL and i was hesitant to drive it with the light blinking. But then i drove to work and turned off when i came back to atart after work light was still there, then i had seen somewhere someone mentioned to press power button for 15 seconds and that worked it cleared the flashing CDL. Later that evening i took it to new housing subdivision building nearby and tried to put in 4lo and it shifted without any problem, then i engaged CDL and it engaged as well, then i pushed CDL afain to disengage and it started flashing again, shut off and turned back on that was gone then i tried 4lo again and it worked without issue, i used 4lo next day for abt 15 mins again just so it can cycle since i never ever use it.

C1201 is a generic ECM error code that doesn't really help troubleshoot. It's set as a result of the other error code which should give more insight into where the issue lies.

It's very plausible that it's some electromechanical switching issue within the transfer case. Should be safe to drive.

Get us that other error code to help diagnose.

I have been looking into this issue, I am looking into a prospective buy, read the Lexus maintenance records. It says 4LO was flashing and there were the two codes P0441, P0456 INCORRECT PURGE FLOW AND SMALL LEAK DETECTED IN EVAP. Car was brought into dealership 4 times with the same problem, they run smoke tests leak tests, gas cap replacement but couldn't clear it. Car was traded in by owner as a result. Next records indicate more work was done in the order 1. Crankshaft position sensor was replaced (which is strange since it is a P0335) 2. Charcoal cannister replaced and 3. Battery replaced Don't see a purge solenoid replacement. Any insights as to what could be happening here. Do you think the unit associated with EVAP is damaged? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have been looking into this issue, I am looking into a prospective buy, read the Lexus maintenance records. It says 4LO was flashing and there were the two codes P0441, P0456 INCORRECT PURGE FLOW AND SMALL LEAK DETECTED IN EVAP. Car was brought into dealership 4 times with the same problem, they run smoke tests leak tests, gas cap replacement but couldn't clear it. Car was traded in by owner as a result. Next records indicate more work was done in the order 1. Crankshaft position sensor was replaced (which is strange since it is a P0335) 2. Charcoal cannister replaced and 3. Battery replaced Don't see a purge solenoid replacement. Any insights as to what could be happening here. Do you think the unit associated with EVAP is damaged? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
May be there is leak in the fuel tank.

Maybe one of you ABS sensors is damaged or the cable broken.
Did you tryed to do a hard break on the street to see if it is working?

/edit
Especially with this - sometimes works, sometimes not - is a sign for me hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom