New member + tech question (front differential) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello internet people!

New member here. I've been reading a lot of threads here over the years, but didn't have reasons to post anything untill now. Lots of good info here!!

My car: 2000 model HDJ100 with 4.2 tdi and a 4 speed auto + AHC. Mileage: only 325 000 miles.

my tech question:
- I'm in the process of rebuilding my front suspension (bearings, axles, bushings a.s.o. I have ordered all my parts from www.partsouq.com (OEM). in this process i am going to install an RD131 (ARB Locker). but before differential tear down i want to make sure i have enough shims for assembly, but i can't find a shim kit for my front differential. where do you guys order your shim kits?

Front differential size: 8" with 50 mm carrier bearings i guess.

what country do i come from? - Norway.
1608585173162.png

1608585681261.png

Regards,
Affim

Cruiser outfitters can get you the shims. I inquired about some for my rear diff.

Also partsouq and Toyota parts deal should have them as well. I dont think there is a kit though you just need to have an idea of what sizes you may need.

I've only ever messed with my rear diff but I guess just put it together with your old shims and see where you are and then determine what you need?

Last edited:
Yea, i have come to that conclusion my self if i can't find any kit. I don't want to guess the needed shim, as i have to do when ordering single shims. I thought that if there was a kit of many variable sizes it would be easier to assemble, instead of putting it together with the existing shims, then measure and then again wait for parts.

Anyway, thanks for feedback :)

Norway, woot! Norway leads my YotaMD kit sales outside the US and Canada by a significant margin. No idea why and I never would have guessed Norway had a bunch of cruisers, but it's neat. My ancestry is all from Norway (Oslo), left for the US around 1850. By complete chance, I also work for a Company headquartered in Bergen/Stavanger and have traveled there a few times.

AHC all still intact? Any idea what maintenance has been done on it to date, if so?

Welcome!

Yea, i have come to that conclusion my self if i can't find any kit. I don't want to guess the needed shim, as i have to do when ordering single shims. I thought that if there was a kit of many variable sizes it would be easier to assemble, instead of putting it together with the existing shims, then measure and then again wait for parts.

Anyway, thanks for feedback :)

Yeah it is a pain in the ass. I had the exact same problems with my rear diff. Although, I was just trying to get cross pinion clearances correct for an auto-locker and not set back lash. That made it a lot easier since I had a known gap to work off of to order shims instead of basically guessing at what size shim was needed to adjust gear backlash. I was lucky and my stock shims worked for setting it up.

I'm planning to eventually do my own front locker install. Was the removal of the diff fairly straight forward? You should post a thread about the ARB installation once you do it. I haven't come across any threads with a DIY front locker installation on the 100 series. I think I'm going to go with the Harrop E-locker though but everything other than the compressor installation should be the same I'd imagine.

Welcome to Mud

Last edited:
Norway, woot! Norway leads my YotaMD kit sales outside the US and Canada by a significant margin. No idea why and I never would have guessed Norway had a bunch of cruisers, but it's neat. My ancestry is all from Norway (Oslo), left for the US around 1850. By complete chance, I also work for a Company headquartered in Bergen/Stavanger and have traveled there a few times.

AHC all still intact? Any idea what maintenance has been done on it to date, if so?

Welcome!

Proud norwegian/ land cruiser owner :D :D

AHC still works fine, havent dared to connect tech stream to inspect the pressures though :S. I've had it for a couple of years now, and the car have been serviced every year at toyota. It works as my hobby car, so when winter comes, it is stored in the garage. If they had stopped salting the main roads during winter, i would have used it during winter times as well...

I have nothing tech to add, but we'd all love more pics of your HDJ100! Welcome!

If you need info on diff setup ZUK's site is the best!!!!
Toyota Gear Install Harrop

Nitro Gear has various kits, might have what you are looking for.
Its where I got mine for installing 4:88 gears.
Nitro-Gear.com

detervisstmangenorskehernå
You could check with some local diff service shops if they have a decent selection in stock, and then get only what you need, via an overnight service, after starting the tear-down. E.g. arctictrucks or drivlinjespesialisten. Are you east, west or north of Dovre?

detervisstmangenorskehernå
You could check with some local diff service shops if they have a decent selection in stock, and then get only what you need, via an overnight service, after starting the tear-down. E.g. arctictrucks or drivlinjespesialisten. Are you east, west or north of Dovre?
Mangedroppernlckforumtilfordelfordenne.

Hey, thats a great idea! Will follow you up on that!
I'm close to Nidaros. You?

Mangedroppernlckforumtilfordelfordenne.

Hey, thats a great idea! Will follow you up on that!
I'm close to Nidaros. You?
mankanjoværepåbeggeto34
I'm south of Drammen-Asker.
I had FDL on the 80, but have never needed it on the 100. I suppose it depends on what kind of driving you do.
Are you opening the diff because it is broken or worn, or because you need the locker?

mankanjoværepåbeggeto34
I'm south of Drammen-Asker.
I had FDL on the 80, but have never needed it on the 100. I suppose it depends on what kind of driving you do.
Are you opening the diff because it is broken or worn, or because you need the locker?
During an inspection for search of slack in driveline i foun out that the pinion bearing was worn. I can move the pinion shaft up & down close to 2mm. So therefore i am rebuilding my diff. In addition to rebuilding, i am installing a diff locker. Have never tried triple locked, but tried rear diff locked. I am super curious about testing it :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom