FZJ105R Condenser fan mystery. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so just thought I would start thread from scratch. Hopefully someone on the forum has had plenty of experience with fitting a custom condenser fan.

My car is a 1998 Landcruiser FZJ105R (Australian Model) - Petrol V6 (inline) 4.5L

The A/C System works, there is a new AC Compressor on this system and it has been regas'd - before fresh cabin filter installed it was working fairly well either parked or driving.

Once the filter was installed I could finally breath without just about spewing, however, now the system appears to suffer when at idle - and struggles to keep cool.

I have a crack in my radiator fan cover - which I will be taping with some 3M VHB tape which will hold it well. So that is not an issue really - I still think that the system will be severely lacking.

So I have looked at relevant threads this one stands out for me (because it mods the system so the condenser fan automatically switches on and off via the A/C Pressure switch sensor:

I've taken pictures of my cars A/C Pressure switch sensor and it has only 2 wires going in. However, as you can see in the pic, there is an unplugged connector above it which has 2 wires:

1608801234655.png

Would this unplugged connector be for the A/C Condenser fan ? I have this strange feeling maybe there was one if that is the case.

Anyone good at looking at Toyota Service Manuals that can tell me what that wire is for? (would help me determine if its for condenser fan)

The A/C System works, there is a new AC Compressor on this system and it has been regas'd - before fresh cabin filter installed it was working fairly well either parked or driving.

Once the filter was installed I could finally breath without just about spewing, however, now the system appears to suffer when at idle - and struggles to keep cool.
Hi, was you A/C system regased before the new cabin filter was fitted? I.E regased with a very dirty cabin filter in place.

Hi, was you A/C system regased before the new cabin filter was fitted? I.E regased with a very dirty cabin filter in place.
Was no cabin filter in it at all before , bcos no one manufactures them.

System still does a good job but only when driving for a while. And def not at idle now

So you've fitted a filter where there was not a fliter before, if so have you tried removing said filter to see if the A/C works as well as it did before the filter was fitted?

I am not so familiar with the 105 version of the 100 series, does you 105 have a viscous cooling fan and 'idle up' for when the comp clutch engages as my 100 does?

So you've fitted a filter where there was not a fliter before, if so have you tried removing said filter to see if the A/C works as well as it did before the filter was fitted?
Need the filter in there , crap coming thru it is foul. But I get ur point . It did work ok without it but not taking it out

I am not so familiar with the 105 version of the 100 series, does you 105 have a viscous cooling fan and 'idle up' for when the comp clutch engages as my 100 does?
No idea checking all that data now

Need the filter in there , crap coming thru it is foul. But I get ur point . It did work ok without it but not taking it out
When you say "crap coming thru" is this just general road dust or do you drive in a particularly crap enviroment?

My 100 was never fitted with a cabin filter, Toyota didn't in their wisdom fit it from new, there are quite a few around the world that haven't got cabin filters fitted.

It's easy to check if you have a viscous fan and 'idle up', if you need help checking just let us know, not trying to teach you to suck eggs :)
🎅

Last edited:
sounds like your low on freon, if you dont have enough in the system you can get good performance when the vehicle is driving but poor when at idle. id have them do another evac and recharge and add dye to see if there may be any leaks

dont think its freon, just got a new A/C Compressor put in and regas'd

Ok, so just thought I would start thread from scratch. Hopefully someone on the forum has had plenty of experience with fitting a custom condenser fan.

My car is a 1998 Landcruiser FZJ105R (Australian Model) - Petrol V6 (inline) 4.5L

I have a crack in my radiator fan cover - which I will be taping with some 3M VHB tape which will hold it well. So that is not an issue really - I still think that the system will be severely lacking.

So I have looked at relevant threads this one stands out for me (because it mods the system so the condenser fan automatically switches on and off via the A/C Pressure switch sensor:

I've taken pictures of my cars A/C Pressure switch sensor and it has only 2 wires going in. However, as you can see in the pic, there is an unplugged connector above it which has 2 wires:

View attachment 2533584

Would this unplugged connector be for the A/C Condenser fan ? I have this strange feeling maybe there was one if that is the case.

Anyone good at looking at Toyota Service Manuals that can tell me what that wire is for? (would help me determine if its for condenser fan)

You might check to see if that plug has power going to it when the A/C system is running. Also look to see IF the wires are part of the harness that your pressure switch connector goes to. The only way I can see it being for a condenser fan would be if that unused plug is downstream of the pressure switch. Otherwise I don't see how it would be controlled.

dont think its freon, just got a new A/C Compressor put in and regas'd

just because it was recharged dosnt mean that it was done correctly. ive gotten cars form other shops where they were recharged and were either way overfilled or under filled. if its not filled with the correct amount youll be chasing your tail trying to figure it out, step one for ac diag is always make sure that its filled with the proper amount

just because it was recharged dosnt mean that it was done correctly. ive gotten cars form other shops where they were recharged and were either way overfilled or under filled. if its not filled with the correct amount youll be chasing your tail trying to figure it out, step one for ac diag is always make sure that its filled with the proper amount
It's all good man :) Mechanic is a personal friend who worked for Toyota dealership for a number of years. He knows what he is doing. Always willing to hear any thoughts on these issues thanks for chiming in. He said it held pressure. It was blowing cool again today, all the way to town. Not, ice ice icey cold -- it was still 34 degrees celcius today. But it was nice and cold through the front vents. The problem was (on the day I experienced it) is it was 42 celcius and the car was sitting still while waiting for wifey to shop for some stuff. Now it was way noticable right then, when it was that HOT outside - that something was not working right in the AC system. The air coming through the vents was warm, I was sweating bad in the car.

I might blow a house fan over the condenser just to test this theory out in the driveway -- its heating up again Monday & Tuesday - so will test this out then. Pity I don't have a digital thermometer, maybe I should buy one.

The problem was (on the day I experienced it) is it was 42 celcius and the car was sitting still while waiting for wifey to shop for some stuff.

thats a hot one so seeing some not so great performance is not too surprising. if i remember correctly acceptable ac performance is 25-30 degrees F below outside air temps at the center dash vents, the hotter it is the harder the system has to work.

Not sure if this was said before, but the 105 has a totally differnet ac setup, including the box in the cabin than the 100 has. And on this forum people are 99% from the USA, where only the 100 exists. So..

Not sure if this was said before, but the 105 has a totally differnet ac setup, including the box in the cabin than the 100 has. And on this forum people are 99% from the USA, where only the 100 exists. So..
It’s basically the 80 series under a 100 body. A hell of a lot of 80s here in the USA...

It’s basically the 80 series under a 100 body. A hell of a lot of 80s here in the USA...
The point is that it isn't a 100 body on the inside. It's a 105 interior which is different from the 100.

The point is that it isn't a 100 body on the inside. It's a 105 interior which is different from the 100.
What does the interior have to do with any of his A/C cooling issues? He has a 1FZ-FE engine and A/C system, which is identical to FZJ80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom