Builds A New 55 Owner Intro (cgn1976 thread) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 60 tie rod ends made Lou put spacers on his. Not the truck width.

First off Merry Christmas to all. 2nd, love all the great stuff happening in this thread. 3rd, I clearly chose the name of my intro thread poorly becuase everyone seems to think this is the place to intro themselves in the pigpen. I read the FAQ and started a thread to intro myself and tried to make it something obvious...perhaps too obvious. The intro sort of turned into a build thread or more of a documentation of noob's journey into swine country. I am going to continue to use it that way, but please feel free to continue the convo you have rolling...but know you re adding to my thread full of stupid questions and floundering, sprinkled with a little debauchery and the occasional win.

First off Merry Christmas to all. 2nd, love all the great stuff happening in this thread. 3rd, I clearly chose the name of my intro thread poorly becuase everyone seems to think this is the place to intro themselves in the pigpen. I read the FAQ and started a thread to intro myself and tried to make it something obvious...perhaps too obvious. The intro sort of turned into a build thread or more of a documentation of noob's journey into swine country. I am going to continue to use it that way, but please feel free to continue the convo you have rolling...but know you re adding to my thread full of stupid questions and floundering, sprinkled with a little debauchery and the occasional win.

Clearly @frismanis fault

Hi everyone. Been a minute since I posted anything. Got some general questions about how the motor is running hoping you might be able to help the noob out with.

In the last few weeks it started running like crap. Actually started back fring a little bit, especially when it's not warmed up fully (cold weather here now). It's also lost power on acceleration and feels a little herky jerky with some off and on hesitation. I've also noticed increasing black soot collecting on the driveway from the exhasut as it warms up. There was always just a tad, but's it's getting worse. There was a pretty strong gas smell too so I thought it was set too rich. Adjusted that and it helped a little for a week or so with the back firing, but that's back and now it happens when fully warm and if you really get on it it feels like it can pop one any time. I haven't run it since last week since it got to this point.

I see no mixture of fluids in the coolant or oil and my plan has been to pull the head off and get the seals redone or maybe full valve job if they think it's needed. I think I'm burning oil that way. I was going to pull the plugs (which have less than 1000 miles on them) and see if I can get a read on anything there, and then check timing and carb mix again??? Afther that I'm at a loss of what to do.

Any other thoughts? Remember I'm new to ALL of this so I'm sure there's something every person who's ever worked on an engine knows that i just don't. Help a nooby out!!!

There is a manufacturers clearance that should be maintained, but they rarely move. Should check just to be sure if you haven’t already.

You know about checking your timing against the little BB on the flywheel?

There is a manufacturers clearance that should be maintained, but they rarely move. Should check just to be sure if you haven’t already.

You know about checking your timing against the little BB on the flywheel?
I'll dig in a bit on ther Pertonix. I did use the BB to set the timing when I installed the new distributor and pertonix 3 or 4 months back.

How are all of your vacuum lines and plugs?
Put new plugs in when I got it 1000 miles ago. The vacuum line to the distributor is new that's the only one in there. Just popped the dist open. Looks super good and clean in there but will have to dig to see the toterances. I also just saw that I made a mark on the pully up front that I'm pretty sure I lined up with the BB, so checking timing should nice and easy...easy either way I suppose

No, I meant a broken or cracked vacuum line could make it run ruff. I don't know the condition of your lines, but if original are all hardened. A good time to replace them. Keep at it!

What Ron said. All of them. Start there , pull your plugs next, if new lines don't resolve it. And Pertronix ain't fool proof, I pulled it out of my Ford and put the points back. Stop thinking the worst. Take 1 step at a time 🤔😉

Yeah, not “spark-plugs” but vacuum plugs. There’s probably several on the carb and other ports - intake manifold, etc..
I do have a few vaccum plugs on the carb and intake. def. will check that out asap.....and I can't help but going to this "my engine is going to explode" place in my brain lol...Thanks for all the advice guys!

Last edited:
I've also had issues with using off the shelf plug wires and coil wire. OEM for the win? Just a thought.
Mike

"my engine is going to explode"
Yes!!

tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom