TLCA Official 2021 Rubithon Thread (32nd or 33rd Annual - TBD) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reddingcruiser

Practicing for retirement
Threads

Yes, we are now planning the 2021 Rubithon for June 23 - 27, 2021! I'm sure we all have had enough of 2020 to last several lifetimes and are ready to get back to some form of our 'pre-COVID' lives.

For those that rolled-over your Rubithon registrations from last year -thank you! There's nothing to do except show up on the new dates for the runs you were registered (below).

You will note that there are two 'new' runs for 2021. If you rolled-over your registration and would like to chose one of these runs rather than you original choice please send me an email and I will make the change. Otherwise, simply go through the normal registration process and select the appropriate run.

If you requested and received a refund for the 2020 Rubithon you must submit an entirely new registration. If you did not request a refund and did not acknowledge a roll-over via email last year, please contact me regarding the status of your registration.

If you need to register for 2021, the registration link will be available on this thread and the TLCA website shortly after January 1st.

Runs leaving June 23rd:
  • Steve Pryor's Wagon Run, leaves Loon Lake 8am, stops over night at Buck Island. The Wagon Run is limited to 22 Rigs, however, there are already 15 spots occupied by 'roll-overs' from last year. Pending final confirmation that those 'roll-over' folks are actually going to make it, that leaves SEVEN spots open for the Wagon Run. We'll keep you posted!
  • Mudrak's Double Locker Run. The double locker run is fun, if equipped as required, and does require a nod from Mudrak.

Runs leaving June 24th:
  • Jeff Geenwood's IFS Run, leaves Loon Lake at 8am, stops overnight at Buck Island. Yes, we are adding an 'IFS' run this year for FJ Cruisers and other IFS rigs. This might be a great option for hundies and other late model, IFS Toyota's that can't get into the Wagon Run. Same trail, same great people, same good times!
  • Doug Huft's Breakfast Run, leaves Ice House Resort at 8:30am, stops overnight at Buck Island (or ???)
  • Family Run/Quick In, leaves Tahoma Staging at 9am, direct to Rubicon Springs.
  • Four-Runner Run - straight through to Rubicon Springs from Loon Lake, leaves no later than 7:00 am! This will be a hard charge run for experienced drivers with well-prepared rigs that can stay ahead of the other runs leaving Thursday morning.

All the usual TLCA rules for vehicle safety will apply, but in case you forgot (or didn't know):

On the Rubicon Trail (and Rubithon), minimum tire size is 33", anything less will not be fun for the driver or those behind. As always there can be exceptions, but you should contact me or your Trail Leader to discuss your rig and expectations. All runs from any given departure point take essentially the same route, but there are some 'line' options depending on your skill level, frustration level, or desire to prove a point. Leaving from Loon Lake is a longer trip, but includes the complete Rubicon Trail experience and absolutely worth the trip for first-timers. Most runs are at a pace suitable for novices. Trail Leaders and Committee Members are there to see everyone gets through safely. Everyone has had a 'first time' on the trail and it's expected. If you want to reach out to a Trail Lead to discuss their particular run just send me a PM or email, or call me.

FJ Cruisers, stock 40's and 45's make it through all the time, though it takes a little more effort than a "well prepared" trial rig. Still fun, nonetheless.

Just for the record, here's the official lingo for running the Rubithon:

From the inspection sheet: The minimum vehicle requirements which, if not met, may disqualify a vehicle from participating in the event:

If your vehicle does not meet some of the requirements listed below, discuss the issue(s) directly from the Rubithon Chairman so you hit the trail informed.

Vehicle must be street legal or green stickered with current registration and proof of Liability Insurance.

Battery secured (no bungees)
Either a single locker or lower gearing will make it easier - but not everyone is locked or re-geared.
Minimum 33” Tires (must have at least 2/32” of tread)
Spare Tire must be fully inflated and within 3” of other tires. Tires over 37” (a tube / bailing wire / repair kit will suffice)
Tires on the ground must be aired down to a maximum of 15 psi prior to safety inspection
Hi Lift Jack capable of lifting vehicle
Tool capable of removing lug nuts (don’t forget any wheel locks)
Front and rear recovery points
A tow strap (no chains or metal hooks.) Rated for twice the vehicles weight
Extrication Hardware (tree strap, clevis, dowels, snatch block)
Service Brakes: Must be able to stall engine when idling in High Range 2nd gear (1st gear if 3 speed)
Parking Brake: Must be able to stall engine when idling in High Range 3rd gear (2nd gear if 3 speed)
Head Lights, Running Lights and Brake Lights: Must be functioning properly
Roll Bar: Any open vehicle must have a roll bar firmly attached to the vehicle
Seat Belts: Required for driver and each passenger
Steering: Check play in wheel, condition of column and mounting hardware, knuckle arms
Fire Extinguisher: Must show full charge on gauge and/or have seal intact
First Aid Kit: Recommended to be as complete as is reasonably possible
Antenna Length: Not longer than 54", unless both ends are firmly attached to the vehicle
Hoses and Lines: Please do not bring a vehicle with excessive leaks to an event. This is damaging to the environment.
Exhaust System: Must be intact. No open exhaust, excessive noise or excessive smoke

Recommended additional items:
Leather gloves and eye protection
Oil spill recovery kit (can be picked up at the Kiosk an no charge (provided by El Dorado County)
Personal toilet and wag bags. At least one person in group must have this. Remember “Pack it In, Pack it Out!”
Body Protection (skid plates and sliders)
Spare: fluids, belts, plug wires, parts
Tire gauge, tire patch kit, means to inflate tires
Tool kit / especially any special vehicle specific parts or tools
Ham or CB Radio
Winch
Rags, Hand Cleaner, Litter Bags
Axe, Shovel
Flashlight, Spare Batteries, Spare Vehicle Key

Everything else we'll get to as we move along.

Last edited:
Yes, we are now planning the 2021 Rubithon for June 23 - 27, 2021! I'm sure we all have had enough of 2020 to last several lifetimes and are ready to get back to some form of our 'pre-COVID' lives.

For those that rolled-over your Rubithon registrations from last year -thank you! There's nothing to do except show up on the new dates for the runs you were registered (below).

You will note that there are two 'new' runs for 2021. If you rolled-over your registration and would like to chose one of these runs rather than you original choice please send me an email and I will make the change. Otherwise, simply go through the normal registration process and select the appropriate run.

If you requested and received a refund for the 2020 Rubithon you must submit an entirely new registration. If you did not request a refund and did not acknowledge a roll-over via email last year, please contact me regarding the status of your registration.

If you need to register for 2021, the registration link will be available on this thread and the TLCA website shortly after January 1st.

Runs leaving June 23rd:
  • Steve Pryor's Wagon Run, leaves Loon Lake 8am, stops over night at Buck Island. The Wagon Run is limited to 22 Rigs, however, there are already 15 spots occupied by 'roll-overs' from last year. Pending final confirmation that those 'roll-over' folks are actually going to make it, that leaves SEVEN spots open for the Wagon Run. We'll keep you posted!
  • Mudrak's Double Locker Run. The double locker run is fun, if equipped as required, and does require a nod from Mudrak.

Runs leaving June 24th:
  • Jeff Geenwood's IFS Run, leaves Loon Lake at 8am, stops overnight at Buck Island. Yes, we are adding an 'IFS' run this year for FJ Cruisers and other IFS rigs. This might be a great option for hundies and other late model, IFS Toyota's that can't get into the Wagon Run. Same trail, same great people, same good times!
  • Doug Huft's Breakfast Run, leaves Ice House Resort at 8:30am, stops overnight at Buck Island (or ???)
  • Family Run/Quick In, leaves Tahoma Staging at 9am, direct to Rubicon Springs.
  • Four-Runner Run - straight through to Rubicon Springs from Loon Lake, leaves no later than 7:00 am! This will be a hard charge run for experienced drivers with well-prepared rigs that can stay ahead of the other runs leaving Thursday morning.

All the usual TLCA rules for vehicle safety will apply, but in case you forgot (or didn't know):

On the Rubicon Trail (and Rubithon), minimum tire size is 33", anything less will not be fun for the driver or those behind. As always there can be exceptions, but you should contact me or your Trail Leader to discuss your rig and expectations. All runs from any given departure point take essentially the same route, but there are some 'line' options depending on your skill level, frustration level, or desire to prove a point. Leaving from Loon Lake is a longer trip, but includes the complete Rubicon Trail experience and absolutely worth the trip for first-timers. Most runs are at a pace suitable for novices. Trail Leaders and Committee Members are there to see everyone gets through safely. Everyone has had a 'first time' on the trail and it's expected. If you want to reach out to a Trail Lead to discuss their particular run just send me a PM or email, or call me.

FJ Cruisers, stock 40's and 45's make it through all the time, though it takes a little more effort than a "well prepared" trial rig. Still fun, nonetheless.

Just for the record, here's the official lingo for running the Rubithon:

From the inspection sheet: The minimum vehicle requirements which, if not met, may disqualify a vehicle from participating in the event:

If your vehicle does not meet some of the requirements listed below, discuss the issue(s) directly from the Rubithon Chairman so you hit the trail informed.

Vehicle must be street legal or green stickered with current registration and proof of Liability Insurance.

Battery secured (no bungees)
Either a single locker or lower gearing will make it easier - but not everyone is locked or re-geared.
Minimum 33” Tires (must have at least 2/32” of tread)
Spare Tire must be fully inflated and within 3” of other tires. Tires over 37” (a tube / bailing wire / repair kit will suffice)
Tires on the ground must be aired down to a maximum of 15 psi prior to safety inspection
Hi Lift Jack capable of lifting vehicle
Tool capable of removing lug nuts (don’t forget any wheel locks)
Front and rear recovery points
A tow strap (no chains or metal hooks.) Rated for twice the vehicles weight
Extrication Hardware (tree strap, clevis, dowels, snatch block)
Service Brakes: Must be able to stall engine when idling in High Range 2nd gear (1st gear if 3 speed)
Parking Brake: Must be able to stall engine when idling in High Range 3rd gear (2nd gear if 3 speed)
Head Lights, Running Lights and Brake Lights: Must be functioning properly
Roll Bar: Any open vehicle must have a roll bar firmly attached to the vehicle
Seat Belts: Required for driver and each passenger
Steering: Check play in wheel, condition of column and mounting hardware, knuckle arms
Fire Extinguisher: Must show full charge on gauge and/or have seal intact
First Aid Kit: Recommended to be as complete as is reasonably possible
Antenna Length: Not longer than 54", unless both ends are firmly attached to the vehicle
Hoses and Lines: Please do not bring a vehicle with excessive leaks to an event. This is damaging to the environment.
Exhaust System: Must be intact. No open exhaust, excessive noise or excessive smoke

Recommended additional items:
Leather gloves and eye protection
Oil spill recovery kit (can be picked up at the Kiosk an no charge (provided by El Dorado County)
Personal toilet and wag bags. At least one person in group must have this. Remember “Pack it In, Pack it Out!”
Body Protection (skid plates and sliders)
Spare: fluids, belts, plug wires, parts
Tire gauge, tire patch kit, means to inflate tires
Tool kit / especially any special vehicle specific parts or tools
Ham or CB Radio
Winch
Rags, Hand Cleaner, Litter Bags
Axe, Shovel
Flashlight, Spare Batteries, Spare Vehicle Key

Everything else we'll get to as we move along.
YES, Can't wait.

The Rubithon website says registration opens on January 8th. Can MUD members register prior to that time? With so few spots available, I'd like to get my name in the hat now if possible. Thanks, Ron

Ditto- we really want to register.
I received an answer on another thread. Unfortunately, there is no pre-registration for MUD members.

We will be ready!! We didn’t. Drive all the way from Wisconsin to get turnt away!!

Were in!!

Were in!!
Sweet!! We made it in too. Kept hitting refresh every hour or so until it opened this morning. Which run are you going on?

Last edited:
Sweet!! I made it in too. Kept hitting refresh until it opened this morning. Which run are you going on?
Waggy run. We have our LX450 with us this winter.

All signed up. My first time wheeling out west. Looking forward to the whole trip. I’m bringing my 89 mini. I signed for Hufts Breakfast Run. Whats the means of communication?

Last edited:
All signed up. My first time wheeling out west. Looking forward to the whole trip. I’m bringing my 89 mini. I signed for Hufts Breakfast Run. Whats the means of communication?
Most Trail Leads will begin separate threads here on ‘mud and more information will be appearing here as we get closer. If you need something feel free to reach out to me at chairman@rubithon.com

Most Trail Leads will begin separate threads here on ‘mud and more information will be appearing here as we get closer. If you need something feel free to reach out to me at chairman@rubithon.com
Haha. I have. And thanks for the info. I’ll get in touch with Doug. Looking forward to the event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom