Sound and heat insulation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 40, probably a lot like your 40, is loud any time it's moving; is hot when it's hot outside; is cold when it's cold outside. I've got plenty of "aftermarket ventilation" which isn't helping anything, but this post isn't about rust repair. For those of you who have used insulating material (dynamat, noico, etc.), where did you get the most improvement?

I don't currently have a headliner, and I wonder how much noise would be reduced by putting insulation up there? Are the doors and sides a greater source of noise than the floors? I generally get quite a lot of heat from the firewall/transmission tunnel, so it feels like that would be a good place to insulate as well.

These materials are pricey, so I'd like to spend my money as efficiently as possible. So, what worked best for you? What didn't seem to make a difference? What did you learn in the process that you wished you'd known at the beginning?

Not sure this helps since I’m still a month or 2 from firing her up but here is what I did. I had the floor and underside of the tub Raptor lined. Then I put down some Kilmat off Amazon. Did the whole floor, minus the hump cause I like the clean look, for like $60. I will add some Kilmat to the inside of the doors as well. Then I may add some Evercoat 117 off Amazon under driver and passenger floor and firewall. Then a CityRacer floor mat and rear bed mat. The Kilmat definitely took a lot of the hollow sound out of the floor. I also installed a headliner from cruiser corps. Who knows if this will be worth it but it was relatively cheap.
D79AE5C6-83DA-4FF4-BA1D-792EC9FE894B.jpeg

36AB6912-8C2E-454E-B499-16C89919D7F5.jpeg

82FBC531-72AB-4718-9AAF-6E9F6A5D7F5D.jpeg

Not sure this helps since I’m still a month or 2 from firing her up but here is what I did. I had the floor and underside of the tub Raptor lined. Then I put down some Kilmat off Amazon. Did the whole floor, minus the hump cause I like the clean look, for like $60. I will add some Kilmat to the inside of the doors as well. Then I may add some Evercoat 117 off Amazon under driver and passenger floor and firewall. Then a CityRacer floor mat and rear bed mat. The Kilmat definitely took a lot of the hollow sound out of the floor. I also installed a headliner from cruiser corps. Who knows if this will be worth it but it was relatively cheap. View attachment 2532953
View attachment 2532954
View attachment 2532960
I like that.

I went the inexpensive route for now.
Amazon product ASIN B00PX2C8DCSince I'm hoping to one day re-do the body. When I do, I plan to use Lizzard Skins spray on insulation and sound control, along with probably something like Kilmat used by JDNs78FJ40. I would say my worst noise comes from wind noise around the windshield. Not sure that can be solved. Heat around the foot well, is a problem, the metal by the exhaust gets really hot. I'm in Bozeman, so let me know if you want to get together and go for a ride to see the difference compared to yours.

Then I put down some Kilmat off Amazon...
...Then I may add some Evercoat 117...
I had not heard of the kilmat product. From my 30 seconds of research, it looks like it's very similar to the dynamat product but quite a bit thinner. I'm not sure I understand what the evercoat 117 product is, why it's different, or how it's used. Can you educate me?

The kilmat product prices out significantly less expensive than the dynamat product. It appears that the kilmat product is about half the thickness of dynamat. Maybe half the weight too. I wish somebody had used both so they could tell us all about the differences.

It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts once you have some time living with the kilmat product. It sounds like a good option for those of us without unlimited budgets.

I'm in Bozeman, so let me know if you want to get together and go for a ride to see the difference compared to yours.
Yup! I definitely want to do that! I geek out every time I see your rig around town.

I'm a bit hesitant to go down the spray-on route. I'm concerned that it will make future repairs difficult enough that they wont get done before they become serious issues. My hope is that these adhesive materials can be pealed away, maybe with the aid of a heat gun, if a metal repair is needed. Do you think that's a reasonable concern?

I had not heard of the kilmat product. From my 30 seconds of research, it looks like it's very similar to the dynamat product but quite a bit thinner. I'm not sure I understand what the evercoat 117 product is, why it's different, or how it's used. Can you educate me?

The kilmat product prices out significantly less expensive than the dynamat product. It appears that the kilmat product is about half the thickness of dynamat. Maybe half the weight too. I wish somebody had used both so they could tell us all about the differences.

It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts once you have some time living with the kilmat product. It sounds like a good option for those of us without unlimited budgets.
Yes, kilmat is not as good as dynamat. Due to the cost difference and the fact I will have my hardtop off from May to October and don't plan on driving it much when the snow falls here in Utah I couldn't justify the more expensive products. From what I've seen and heard about Evercoat is that it is very similar to the product that was on the floorboard, firewall and tranny hump from the factory. This would be additional sound deadner and maybe help with the heat under the driver floorboard. Again, I don't have experience with it but saw it on other builds. All of this is probably overkill for my rig since noise will always be a problem with the top off. Just another rabbit hole I've gone down....:rofl:

My wife doesn't like having to yell when she's navigating. I don't really like it either. I thought about putting in a driver to passenger communication system, but it's illegal to use headphones while driving in Montana. I figured the next best thing, which also might make the vehicle more comfortable, is insulation.

Noisy by nature.........

I measured a measly 90db in my rig today on the way home, 70mph, radio off (pantera made it hit 98db).

Not sure this helps since I’m still a month or 2 from firing her up but here is what I did. I had the floor and underside of the tub Raptor lined. Then I put down some Kilmat off Amazon. Did the whole floor, minus the hump cause I like the clean look, for like $60. I will add some Kilmat to the inside of the doors as well. Then I may add some Evercoat 117 off Amazon under driver and passenger floor and firewall. Then a CityRacer floor mat and rear bed mat. The Kilmat definitely took a lot of the hollow sound out of the floor. I also installed a headliner from cruiser corps. Who knows if this will be worth it but it was relatively cheap. View attachment 2532953
View attachment 2532954
View attachment 2532960

that looks really nice. I also chose to leave my tunnel on covered. Although I applied the sound deadening to the underside of the tunnel.

I used this and 3M thinsulate in my Prius C to help cut the noise. I think I would prefer something like this under my floor mat. So that I can take it out and clean under it. Works really well in doors.

I used this and 3M thinsulate in my Prius C to help cut the noise. I think I would prefer something like this under my floor mat. So that I can take it out and clean under it. Works really well in doors.

could this stuff be used as the floor mat itself if it’s vinyl?

I used it in my inside my motorhome trans hump. I also applied it under the floor. Even doubled it up, works well. Stuff goes a long way. Got a heavy duty roller front a flooring store, heavy oak handle and rounded head...stout!

Maybe, it's heavy so it lays down pretty well. It would probably not conform to contours very well. Also I haven't checked it for how well it holds up to heat. I may try it under my repro vinyl mat though.

After reading @JDNs78FJ40 's post about the kilmat product, I did the unthinkable and read all of the 3 star reviews on Amazon. You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than the review section. After wading through the considerable quantity of idiots who got mad that they used the product incorrectly, it didn't fix an issue that was related to something else, or that the manufacturer wouldn't compensate them for being stupid, I learned a few things:
1) The kilmat product is significantly thinner than the dynamat and noico products.
2) The kilmat product is easier to install than the dynamat and noico products.
3) The dynamat product has the superior adhesive, followed by noico, followed by kilmat.
4) The noico and kilmat products both have an odor that some find objectionable.
5) The noico product functions as a sound deadener. It does not function as an insulation.
6) The kilmat product functions as a sound deadener. It also functions as an insulation, but it would require multiple layers to match the performance of the dynamat product.

Putting it all together, if you want the best product on the market, it's the dynamat and you'll have to pay more to get the best. If you want maximum sound deadening for the lowest cost, go with the noico. If you want a lower cost product that is easy to install and does both sound deadening and insulation, get the kilmat, and maybe plan to add layers as your budget allows.

I found this article on crutchfield that gives SPL numbers while adding dynamat to an F-150:

Based on this article (and understanding that this article only considers 1 vehicle and that this information may or may not be transferrable to other vehicles), the best bang for buck as far as noise reduction is concerned is using a product on the roof. With that information and the information from the reviews section, I think that (as a first step) I will see the greatest improvement by using the dynamat product to insulate my roof. I think that my second step, when my budget allows, will be to insulate my firewall, transmission tunnel, and floor up to the "step" behind the seats with dynamat. Step three will be doors with dynamat or kilmat. Step 4 will be body sides and cargo area with kilmat. I'm not sure if it's a good plan or not, but, based on my research, I think it will give me the most impact for my money. We'll see.

I also used 3/8” rubber gym flooring. Easy to clean and hoping it cuts down on noise and heat a little.

Just FYI, you can buy this product at Tractor Supply and other farm stores also; they call it horse mat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom