500 miles to a tank?? Yes! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
In Novenber I drove from Oklahoma City back to Tucson. Easy on the acceleration and cruise control was set at 65 mph. 275/70/18 KO2's at 33psi. AC going (was 85 f outside) I managed to squeeze 500 miles out of the tank ... twice. Truck is new to me, I'm the second owner of this 06' LC and was quite surprised at the amount of range. Is this normal? The tank seems to be the standard 26.3 gallons (to the brim). Everything else is bone stock. Truck has 78K.

20201106_123954.jpg

20201106_124817.jpg

20201106_123943.jpg

20201120_182141.jpg

Yes, the batteries in one or more of the TPMS sensors are dead ... or the sensors are long gone by now idk. I'll get on it ASAP as soon as I figure out where to get them and have them programmed. Only thing wrong with an otherwise immaculate truck.

Impressive range. I have the same year Lx, but thrice the mileage as your Lc, same tire size too except mine’s on falken wilpeaks. Best range I got so far was just 450 miles on 91 octane premium gas from costco. What was your maintaining speed?

I think my average speed was 58 ... had the cruise control set to 65 pretty much the whole trip. And I ran 89 octane. It seems I almost ran this pig dry too.

no, stock fuel tank is 96L/25.4 gallons. PO definetly put aftermarket tank in

Not normal. I think there is more to the story. And your tires are 33's... and so you would even add 6% to your distance. Do you have a speedometer correction box/device?

The truck hasn't been modified, just slightly larger meats ... no box to compensate for the speedo. My phone's GPS does show about three miles an hour faster than the speedometer. But doesn't seem to be off by 7% ... seems more like 4 ish. But I've never owned a vehicle that had a speedo match GPS exactly.

Tbh, that range is actually doable on the speed you went. My 450 miles was at 68mph (max and the was measured using GPS app) and was 80% free way and 20% 45mph zones around town. The patience you have to maintain the truck at 65mph especially on those areas where speed limits are between 70-80mph is impressive than the fuel consumption you clocked.

Favorable tailwinds?

I fly a piston single, and heading East I almost always catch a tailwind. Coming back West my ground speed takes a hit, usually (VFR and 10-12k). Wondering if maybe the winds changed and were at 90 instead of 270? Seems I never see winds at 90 ... but 19mpg doesn't seem too unrealistic does it? No where else would we be saying ”19! No Friggin Way!" Ha ha most would think it horrible fuel economy. It's nearly twice as good as the little Cessna I'm putting around in and fuel for the truck is half the price! Total economy!

Last edited:
IIRC, had 19 mpg average with STRONG tailwinds years ago on my ‘99 on a 350 mile run on US 40 from TN through NC, truck was all stock then. It was a one off. Others have noted similar random luck. Wish it were more run of the mill.

I don’t doubt your mpg but the fill-up is questionable. I’m sure this is not the norm for the 100s. Maybe you have leak, your charcoal canister is your aux tank lol, the pump is cheating you, your tank is some sort of aftermarket OE replacement, or a combination of them.

But congrats on the 500 miles/tank. I’m seeing sub 300s in my 100 and 200 in flat LA.

That’s nuts, the best I ever got was about 375, and mine is stock.

Wow! I never realized how big the tanks actually were in these. I have an 01 and don't think I've ever put over 20 gallons in it during a single fill-up (and typically get 15-16 MPG). I guess empty on the needle means there's another 5+ gallons in the tank? I guess my prior record on a tank of 340 miles is child's play after reading this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom