Where can I get a refurb pcm/computer or have mine refurbed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mo’ betts threads on capacitor refresh.

What you need to do is propper diagnostics not guessing and blindly firing the parts cannon at it. Get an oscilloscope and check the injectors at the back of the ecu. I'd bet you'll see what I saw here: Hesitation on acceleration

If you aren't willing to do that, and you won't take it to a propper mechanic who will do the propper diagnosis then sell it to someone who cares about it rather than junking it. These cars deserve better than that.

Last edited:
Killdozer wants to throw away money on an ECU, stop trying to talk him out of it already.

He's gotten responses from some of the most knowledgeable mud members with years of experience working on theses trucks, and he still wants to argue with them. So as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water (in this case knowledge) but you can't make him drink.

Killdozer wants to throw away money on an ECU, stop trying to talk him out of it already.

Capacitors do have a lifespan. I have a friend who used to save high end ones from computer motherboards.

Maybe the FZJ has a cap-free one? 🤷🏿‍♂️

Capacitors do have a lifespan. I have a friend who used to save high end ones from computer motherboards.

Maybe the FZJ has a cap-free one? 🤷🏿‍♂️

They sure do, but if you've experienced this failure or researched it on here you'll find there are many indicators of this including certain very specific diagnostic codes. Point is, he doesn't want to do propper troubleshooting, he just wants to throw parts at it. That's not diagnostic work that's being a one banana mechanic, it often doesn't yield the results you want resulting in frustration because it's costing lots of time and money while not getting fixed and ultimately selling/scraping the car.

What's sadder is the issue is probably pretty simple, but since he won't take the time to troubleshoot each leg of combustion step by step, but would rather just "replace all the parts" he's led down a path of false belief where he thinks they've been ruled out as issues.

I've literally just been down this path myself, except I painstakingly examined each and every component from ignition to compression to fuel delivery just to find my issue. It was frustrating spending hours after work troubleshooting each night only to go to bed not knowing what it was, but when I found it I was elated. It took persistence, patience, and a higher level of diagnostic work than many would invest to actually find the bug. But it paid off, cost me just some wires and shrink wrap to fix my issue. We'd be here to help him do the same, but it appears as though he's not interested in taking the time.

Last edited:
Caps do have a lifespan, especially electrolytic. Tantalum and ceramic tend to last much longer, but the issue here is the lack of empirical evidence that ECUs fail over time in these vehicles. With the notable exception of the well documented 1993 ECU issue, since 1991 there have been VERY few actual ECU failures. I can't remember a single one from a 95-97 FZJ80, but my memory is not what it used to be. Maybe someone in the community remembers.
This is not to say that it can't be the ECU, but I would certainly exhaust all other areas before going down that road.

I also think that @BILT4ME hit the nail on the head(gasket).

As far as my previous statement being "questionable" regarding the coding of a VIN to an ECU, Toyota has never done this in the US market in the 80 Series from 1991-1997 including the LX450. There are different ECUs for different model years depending on engine type, and I believe there was a part number difference between 1991 and 1992, but within those subsets the ECUs are interchangeable.
Folks have been swapping out ECUs for years troubleshooting issues that they thought were related. This is nothing new.

Just to show I'm not all snark, I'd pull the pump out of the gas tank and look at the fuel sock. He lives in Wisconsin which is a salt heavy state and it's not uncommon for the filler pipe to rot and have rust contaminate the fuel to the point of clogging the sock and of course the fuel filter. This just costs you time and is relatively an easy check.

Just to show I'm not all snark,

Why?

8A953B7F-6AB3-4235-80F6-518BC405A286.jpeg

😜

also: a faulty ECU would not cause smoke to blow through the vents...........

sounds like head gasket failure

I'm not 1 to say much on others problems, been doing the car thing for to long. In my experience and it's been awhile, in the past I was my own worst enemy. Only to discover that it's usually the simple things that fail. I will impart some wisdom. If one was to pull the the spark plugs one might see the cause of said problem. It's a simple task and doesn't cost anything but a little time. I have learned a lot on this forum, I've also seen some really stupid things said and done.
So that's my $.02. Good luck with your LC. Remember: "A fool and his money soon part"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom