Riddle me this: Who puts a 17 year old vehicle in the shop for $3500 "worth" of repairs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the going rate for timing belt and water pump?
What's the going rate for timing belt and water pump?

Here is my breakdown using popular local shop in Socal for my 200k service and 2nd timing belt, I'm very happy with this. Of course I had time to plan, order parts, and schedule appointment with very busy cruiser shop and using Cruiser outfitters was a no brainer.

Price was $605(no tax) shipped from www.cruiseroutfitters.com for:

Timing belt kit (waterpump, tensioners, etc)
Camshaft/Crank seal kit (shop only installed camshaft)
Fan Bracket
Fan Cluctch
Thermostat + Gasket
Serpentine Belt
Radiator Cap

Price from densoproducts.com was $170 shipped for:

Alternator

$650 labor from local Socal cruiser spot to install all minus crank seal, since they said they never change those and an extra 2-3 hours labor so recommend to not do unless its bad which they don't see often.

Total: $1500

Last edited:
Johnny and Mark at Toyota Tech in Ft Mill, SC are highly recommended but they are 2.5 hrs away now.....adapt and overcome I suppose...

They do good work, but they’re on the very high end price wise and your calendar usually doesn’t matter. I needed serious work done a couple of years ago and I took mine to Trollhole in Mauldin, SC (2 hours away). I drive by ToyotaTech two or three times a week.

They do good work, but they’re on the very high end price wise and your calendar usually doesn’t matter. I needed serious work done a couple of years ago and I took mine to Trollhole in Mauldin, SC (2 hours away). I drive by ToyotaTech two or three times a week.

Trollhole does seem to get high marks.....

New here. Picked up a '02 100 w/253K last month to replace a '03 210K Gen4 V8 4Runner w/frame rust. I had done the TB/hoses/seals etc 2 years ago so doing it again on the same motor seemed easier.

Also did front bearings, (did the front hubs on the 4Runner), new half shafts, (just like the 4Runner), calipers/rotors, (just like the 4Runner), and now getting ready to do the cats, (same as the 4Runner but a little easier & cheaper). The things I had to do on the 100 that I didn't do on the 4Runner is replace the A343F with a good used one and the rack.

The point is that sometimes we start projects and don't stop when we should, (or at least when the wife told me to stop), but when I start looking at these older trucks thinking I or one of the family is going to be driving it, I get out the wrenches and go all in.

That said, I would never pour this kind of money in parts into say a Rover...

Lol, I recently had someone come to me for repairs... his bill for his truck was north of 10gs...

Fyi, if you have a hole in your muffler; fix it before it melts your right rear speed sensor harness. 🤣

Wont be the first time....:)

Hey man - the 100 subforum is often a place to brag about how cheap you paid for something these days - so I'd take all those internet flex (or quasi virtue signaling if you look at it another way) posts with a grain of salt. You obviously know what you're doing if you have an 80 and 100 and both are high mileage.

You might already know, but the reason you got "hosed" on parts vs all these people comparing your parts to what they cost on partsouq and thinking thats a fair comparison is that #1) its not easy to make money running a shop these days without your standard mark-up on parts and #2) Toyota will warranty the parts AND the labor hours if the part fails when the mechanic orders through Toyota. So they aren't going to save a few bucks ordering from someplace else - thats a good way to get a bad reputation when a part fails and you cant warranty the work because its "not your fault" a part failed.

You get what you pay for. Mechanics included.

PS: 75 an hr is a deal if they are a good mechanic. My buddy charges 110 an hr (ex Toyota/Lexus "master mechanic" for 15 yrs). Another local, very reputable Toyota/Lexus specialty shop charges 135. My dealer charges 160.

That seems like a lot of hours for just changing crank seal.

Not sure, I did a lot during timing belt I'm not too worried, the shop who see's 100's all day saying they don't change often and don't see many threads on these forums mentioning failure I'll take my chances.

When I did T-belt in mine in 2016 I didn't replace cam or crank seals and still good. I also see on 4runners 3rd gen or 1st gen tacos getting those seals repalced unless it's really in bad shape. I'd say about 30 minutes to get the crank seal would be fair but not 2-3 hours.

Oil pressure gauge has been going wonky for months. spikes when under power, drops when idling....no time to figure it out. Blessed to be stressed! :)

Unless the spike you're describing is instantaneous, which could suggest an electrical issue, it sounds more like you simply have an engine with some miles on it.

i put $6800 worth of seats in a 20 year old truck so i should be excluded from this convo
You need to post a picture of this $6800 seats.

Local rate in Reno is around $100/hr so that seems like a deal to me.
You want to know how much it is here in the Bay area? ;)

You need to post a picture of this $6800 seats.

You want to know how much it is here in the Bay area? ;)

IMG_5970.jpg

Just wanted to chime in... I spent north of 40xxx to restore my 100series from the ground up; body off frame, replace all consumables etc. 😂😂 This was done a Lexus dealer... then proceeded to sell my soul to them to pay it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom