Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around! (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have not yet worked out how I'm going to fit my existing 1-Up rack on my 2014 LC with ARB split rear bumper while still maintaining the ability to open the bumpers and the tailgate, but I was able to fit two bikes --along with two weeks worth of stuff --in the back of the truck with ease. Our trip was mostly centered around non-biking activities so I needed to be able to secure the bikes inside the truck. It only took about 30 minutes at the beginning and end of each ride to setup/breakdown the bikes because I was not shipping these things and thus didn't need to be too fussy about the packing. Also, carried both front wheels in seperate boxes.

View attachment 2454165
Curious if you ever came up with anything for your 200 with ARB rears? I've got an 80 with ARB rear swing out, so similar situation.

Nothing yet, but my current thinking is that I'm going to have a 2" receiver welded on and 1UPs lighter weight (23lbs) rather than my super duty which weighs 46lbs.

Nothing yet, but my current thinking is that I'm going to have a 2" receiver welded on and 1UPs lighter weight (23lbs) rather than my super duty which weighs 46lbs.

My (current) plan is to mount a 1up roof rack vertically to the 2" receiver found on the ARB swing out. The roof rack variant utilizes T-slot instead of a fixed mount. This way I can position it vertically just right. I'd like to use 1up's full hitch system and have the bike horizontal, but that system doesn't use T-slot for me to position the bike horizontally. Has the end of my bike hanging past the edge of the truck by about 2 feet. No thanks...

Going to try for a single now and then maybe fab something up to get two side by side later on. I've had the idea for a minute, but after some searching I came across Owl Vans that has been doing it for a while - albeit with their proprietary mount for a van, but I think I can come up with a way to make it work.

1608489910868.png

Last edited:
I like the 1Up for the upper, but I think I would rather have something with more of a hard stop (no offense to your cable) on the bottom.

I went ahead and bought their kit. Will probably be this time next year before anything bike related shows up at the rate of things this year, but we'll give it a go. They use steel cable which I generally see flexible ones having a ≥ 250lb working load (and their description calls the same number). Talked with the owner for a bit - claims thousands of miles without issue, so we'll see!

As best I can tell it's a roof rack variant from 1UP with their "vertical bike kit" seen HERE

If one sets the tray up higher, and on a 50° or 60° angle.... It would give yah lots more clearance at the bottom, less weight on the lower arm of the tray arm, but would also stick out a bit more......
Although, that cable they sell seems plenty strong....
Interesting set up...!!!

Last edited:
I went ahead and bought their kit. Will probably be this time next year before anything bike related shows up at the rate of things this year, but we'll give it a go. They use steel cable which I generally see flexible ones having a ≥ 250lb working load (and their description calls the same number). Talked with the owner for a bit - claims thousands of miles without issue, so we'll see!

As best I can tell it's a roof rack variant from 1UP with their "vertical bike kit" seen HERE
So, the cable is there to keep load off the ratchet and the clamping in the rack is done with the upper bar?

So, the cable is there to keep load off the ratchet and the clamping in the rack is done with the upper bar?

I really couldn't find much in the way of people using these vertically other than 1UP telling me I should use the roof rack version if I wanted to mount vertical. Why? No clue. Seems like the normal rack but with a T-slot mount. I just happened to stumble on these guys (Owl Vans) that already came up with something. "Proven" and winds up being cheaper than if I came up with my own. Only bummer is that Owl won't change out their hardware, so I'll have to source that on my own as I'm not fastening to one of their systems. Not a big deal.

While I can't speak for their methodology, I was working on something similar for my application. My thought is if the cable is fastened in a way that leaves the bottom bracket slightly acute from 90° with the mounting point, this now becomes a "fixed" position when the bike is installed. This is beneficial in that it cannot extend further for security and also for helping to get the bike put up. Drop the rear wheel in the bottom with the cable holding it in position and crank down on the front wheel with the top, ratcheting bracket. Tension on the front pushes into the fixed rear. Should stay secure.

1sel5b.gif

Bonus points are that it should only add about 3" or so to the overall length of the truck when folded up without the bike canceling the need to remove for general use, and it will be mounting to my tire swing for ultra easy access to the back of the truck for gear and brews high quality H2O.

I really couldn't find much in the way of people using these vertically other than 1UP telling me I should use the roof rack version if I wanted to mount vertical. Why? No clue. Seems like the normal rack but with a T-slot mount. I just happened to stumble on these guys (Owl Vans) that already came up with something. "Proven" and winds up being cheaper than if I came up with my own. Only bummer is that Owl won't change out their hardware, so I'll have to source that on my own as I'm not fastening to one of their systems. Not a big deal.

While I can't speak for their methodology, I was working on something similar for my application. My thought is if the cable is fastened in a way that leaves the bottom bracket slightly acute from 90° with the mounting point, this now becomes a "fixed" position when the bike is installed. This is beneficial in that it cannot extend further for security and also for helping to get the bike put up. Drop the rear wheel in the bottom with the cable holding it in position and crank down on the front wheel with the top, ratcheting bracket. Tension on the front pushes into the fixed rear. Should stay secure.

1sel5b.gif

Bonus points are that it should only add about 3" or so to the overall length of the truck when folded up without the bike canceling the need to remove for general use, and it will be mounting to my tire swing for ultra easy access to the back of the truck for gear and brews high quality H2O.
I have 2 of the 1up roof mount racks that I have mounted on a homebrew carrier. I have wanted to use them as an upright carrier, but didn't think to use a cable as a tension member to keep from mangeling the ratched. You have inspired me reconfigure my carrier into an upright version. I might place it at a slight angle to minimize the overhung load.

I have 2 of the 1up roof mount racks that I have mounted on a homebrew carrier. I have wanted to use them as an upright carrier, but didn't think to use a cable as a tension member to keep from mangeling the ratched. You have inspired me reconfigure my carrier into an upright version. I might place it at a slight angle to minimize the overhung load.
Excellent! Would be very interested in seeing your setup! I figure I won't be seeing my rack for a few more weeks (or more!), so I still have plenty of time for inspiration to figure mine out once it gets here.

If you need a cable setup for your existing rack, check out the Owl Van link I posted earlier (and again HERE ). I thought for sure I could build it myself for cheaper, but just the proper tool (which I don't have and can't really think of when I would use it again) needed to crimp the eyelets in place would cost what they're asking. Plus, since you already have two racks, that kit has everything needed to do it twice over. No affiliation with the guys, and hell I can't even say if this is actually going to work, but I don't want to know how many hours I've put trying to figure something out. This is the best I've seen.

Has anyone rigged their rig where you can put a MTB in the back with the seat down? Sort of like how it would sit on a roof rack with the front tire removed and mounted to a Kuat Dirtbag or something of the like?

I have a Kuat NV, but I ride solo 99% of the time and it would be nice to just load my bike in the back instead of having the rack on all the time.

Thanks!

Has anyone rigged their rig where you can put a MTB in the back with the seat down? Sort of like how it would sit on a roof rack with the front tire removed and mounted to a Kuat Dirtbag or something of the like?

I have a Kuat NV, but I ride solo 99% of the time and it would be nice to just load my bike in the back instead of having the rack on all the time.

Thanks!
I think that was addressed a couple of responses above.

Looking good! Can I assume the plate that the fork mount in attached to isn't permanent?

Looking good! Can I assume the plate that the fork mount in attached to isn't permanent?
True.

What I did there was run a line from one cargo tie down, through one of the extruded plate channels to the cargo tie down on the other side. Then ran the line back to the first tie down. I have a ratching line pully/hook (thank you Thule). Then pull like hell to tension the line. Anchors it right down. See the blue line in second pic.

This actually temporary as I plan on a rear swing away w. Bike rack.

Last edited:
Finally got around to getting it put together. They forgot to send me the cable set, so still waiting on that, but the concept stays the same. Bike certainly sticks way out there since I have it on my spare, but the push was to have it on the swing out for quick and easy access into the cargo area. Took a bit of modification and some creativity, but it turned out pretty nice I think. I'll have to get a flag for the bars... Overall, goal achieved.

0E19E57B-6752-41C0-8DFA-6B9F107F8CB3.jpeg

F5B69E3B-133E-4001-86BC-3E7E76071330.jpeg

758EB08A-980A-4905-9B12-3014753D8532.jpeg

Turned out great @spazzyfry123

As I'm searching to add my first Land Cruiser to the driveway (a 75-series Troopy at that), you're previously posted OwlVans images got me thinking if anyone has done something like that for the hinges on the Troopy.

I know that on their site they show 'need' for 180* swing doors, as well as a single hole drilled into the vehicle door. With a rear wheel mounted on the right hand rear door, something like yours could work well. I'd have to double the capacity with a carrier plate of sorts to that the receiver adapter. Without a door/bumper mounted spare, that plate design at OWL is mighty nice.

Obviously hinge design/spacing being much closer is one possible obstacle.

I'm waiting on my hitch mounted 1up to arrive via FEDEX guy any moment now. This could always end up being transferred between vehicles if need-be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom