Allen bolt under crank pulley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, hoping someone can help me with this. There is a fairly large allen bolt under the crank pulley. It appears mine is leaking. I've already replaced the oil pump cover seal and the crank seal but it still appears to be leaking from this bolt. I take it that it probably has a crush washer under it. Wondering if anyone might have part numbers for the bolt or the crush washer. You can see it in the picture here. It's the large bolt under the crank pulley and the power steering hose.

Thanks

008.jpg

Even though you've fixed some leaks I'd still guess it's leaking down from a higher point. Have you carefully inspected above? A possible candidate is the seam between the timing chain cover and the block. The distributor is another candidate, etc.

A thorough cleaning is often worth doing as it can help you track down the leak source more easily.

Last edited:
Even though you've fixed some leaks I'd still guess it's leaking down from a higher point. Have you carefully inspected above? A possible candidate the the seam between the timing chain cover and the block. The distributor is another candidate, etc.

A thorough cleaning is often worth doing as it can help you track down the leak source more easily.
Sorry, forgot to mention the distributor o-ring and the valve cover have also been replaced. I'm fairly certain it's the bolt. It's pretty dry above it. But literally drips off that bolt. The picture isn't mine by the way, just a picture I found online to show the bolt.

Good that that's not your truck, as it seems to clearly have leaks above :)

It may well be that bolt which is leaking but a thin stream of oil from above can be practically invisible until it hits a surface where it can puddle. I'm sure you know this given how much work you've done but sometimes it's helpful to be reminded. If you have any doubt about the leak source you can easily hit the area above with brake cleaner and get it really clean all the way down to the puddle/drip and then run the 80 a bit more. If there's any oil residue above the bolt then there's a leak above the bolt. There may not be puddling or other visible streaking/etc. above the bolt but just a thin film of oil.

Good luck!

I hear ya, I'll definitely clean it as well as I can to try and ensure that this is indeed the leak. I'm just looking for part number in case this is actually the problem. I have searched and come up empty handed.

IIRC there's only been one person on this forum that replaced that washer
(and wrote about it). It's installed at the factory and there's no reason to ever
touch that plug, unless of course the previous owner messed with it first thinking that was the source of his leaks.

At one point I thought that was my leak also. kept cleaning the truck and watching closely and realized it was from above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom