Under Carpet Barrier Stuff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK so a bit of a dumb question, but three years in still baselining my 96. When I bought the rig I noticed that the D ring cargo tie downs in the trunk were pretty rusty, but after poking around recently in the rear of the truck I pulled up the carpet to discover that it was more than the D rings, that there were patches of rust starting in several places. My truck is white, and the white subfloor where it isn't covered by the weird composite looking glued on hard material (which I discovered can be broken off, no idea what it is) has rust bubbles/blisetrs forming in several patches. I took out all of the D rings and seat anchors for my removed third row and bolts which were all really rusted and after a good soak in WD40 rust remover are actually looking salvageable. I went after the rust patches last weekend with a wire wheel and rust brush, and I plan on cleaning it all out and spraying with a rust inhibitor and then covering with some rustoleum. I am assuming that my rear sliding windows leak, as the passenger side window frame has a bunch of silicon goo in it from the PO. So I have ordered new fixed glass replacements with new weather stripping to replace the leaking slide windows. My question is the weird fuzzy carpet layer that is under the floor mat carpet is pretty trashed from rust and my removing the carpet panels to the reach the rusty areas. Is there a good modern replacement product which I should install under the old tan carpet which will insulate/noise reduce and protect from rust? Thanks, oh and could this rust come from sunroof leakage, not just slide windows? Thanks
Uluabob

OK so a bit of a dumb question, but three years in still baselining my 96. When I bought the rig I noticed that the D ring cargo tie downs in the trunk were pretty rusty, but after poking around recently in the rear of the truck I pulled up the carpet to discover that it was more than the D rings, that there were patches of rust starting in several places. My truck is white, and the white subfloor where it isn't covered by the weird composite looking glued on hard material (which I discovered can be broken off, no idea what it is) has rust bubbles/blisetrs forming in several patches. I took out all of the D rings and seat anchors for my removed third row and bolts which were all really rusted and after a good soak in WD40 rust remover are actually looking salvageable. I went after the rust patches last weekend with a wire wheel and rust brush, and I plan on cleaning it all out and spraying with a rust inhibitor and then covering with some rustoleum. I am assuming that my rear sliding windows leak, as the passenger side window frame has a bunch of silicon goo in it from the PO. So I have ordered new fixed glass replacements with new weather stripping to replace the leaking slide windows. My question is the weird fuzzy carpet layer that is under the floor mat carpet is pretty trashed from rust and my removing the carpet panels to the reach the rusty areas. Is there a good modern replacement product which I should install under the old tan carpet which will insulate/noise reduce and protect from rust? Thanks, oh and could this rust come from sunroof leakage, not just slide windows? Thanks
Uluabob
You can use one of the many sound deadening products out there (dynamat etc.). The carpet insulator/cushion is called jute. Google “automotive jute pad” and you’ll find several vendors. The window leak is most often from the black exterior belt molding which is fairly inexpensive and very simple to replace.

You can use one of the many sound deadening products out there (dynamat etc.). The carpet insulator/cushion is called jute. Google “automotive jute pad” and you’ll find several vendors. The window leak is most often from the black exterior belt molding which is fairly inexpensive and very simple to replace.
Thanks for that, so you're saying I can return the fixed windows : ) OK so I gotta look into that exterior belt molding. Can I remove all of the jute and replace it with a newer type of product like the dynamat instead? Thank you

Thanks for that, so you're saying I can return the fixed windows : ) OK so I gotta look into that exterior belt molding. Can I remove all of the jute and replace it with a newer type of product like the dynamat instead? Thank you
The belt molding is most often the cause. Try that first if you want to spend the window money elsewhere. The urethane seals on the underside of the molding deteriorate. If it’s leaking from the belt molding you’ll be able to see it with the interior panel removed. Just look/feel at the underside where the molding clips pass through the body. As far as replacing the jute with dynamat that’s up to you. Other than additional sound insulation there’s no need to. Jute is still used on modern vehicles.

The belt molding is most often the cause. Try that first if you want to spend the window money elsewhere. The urethane seals on the underside of the molding deteriorate. If it’s leaking from the belt molding you’ll be able to see it with the interior panel removed. Just look/feel at the underside where the molding clips pass through the body. As far as replacing the jute with dynamat that’s up to you. Other than additional sound insulation there’s no need to. Jute is still used on modern vehicles.
Thanks very much! do you know if the belt molding is the same as weather stripping? For help in tracking down the correct parts or part numbers, thank you!

947D9FD7-9137-4E28-8721-38FAF3710C33.jpeg

Thank you for answering all my dumb questions! Much obliged! By the way, Is your icon thingy an ODI cricket ball? Cheers

Thank you for answering all my dumb questions! Much obliged! By the way, Is your icon thingy an ODI cricket ball? Cheers
No. That’s the symbol on the German autobahn that lets you know it’s permissible to go as absolutely fast as you like. But now I have to go search ODI cricket ball.

No. That’s the symbol on the German autobahn that lets you know it’s permissible to go as absolutely fast as you like. But now I have to go search ODI cricket ball.
Haha that's awesome, an ODI ball is just a white cricket ball! And my cruiser would be run off the autobahn, way too slow!

FWIW, I ripped every bit of jute out that I could and replaced it with 2 layers off brand dynamat. “Siless” I think is what it was called. 1 layer for sound, and the other for heat. Other people have gone with Noico for similar results.

It’s humid where I live, and jute absorbs moisture and water from any leaks that occur, and that in turn causes rust.

It also absorbs smells, and ours was fairly musty from the PO. Ripping all that old musty insulation and pressure washing the carpets made a world of difference. I highly recommend it while you have the carpets out.

On my 80 I went with foil backed sound dampener over the top of the stock sound dampener and then jute on top of that then carpet.

I pulled the carpet, washed the interior metal with soap/water pretty well and then drover the 80 without carpet for over a year while I found/fixed leaks and applied rust converter/etc. getting it all dry and rust free.

I had relevant leaks from:
  • roof rack (was making rear floor wet)
  • rear hatch seal that's on the body
  • the belt molding below the rear windows
  • the vents behind the rear windows
  • the sunroof (was making front floor wet)
As I recall some of these leaks were only apparent on the rear floor when I parked on angles/etc. It took a while to find them all. Fixing them was all pretty easy and you'll find guides on this site.

You may also have other leaks but I'd consider checking all of the above at least before putting carpet/etc. back in.

On my 80 I went with foil backed sound dampener over the top of the stock sound dampener and then jute on top of that then carpet.

I pulled the carpet, washed the interior metal with soap/water pretty well and then drover the 80 without carpet for over a year while I found/fixed leaks and applied rust converter/etc. getting it all dry and rust free.

I had relevant leaks from:
  • roof rack (was making rear floor wet)
  • rear hatch seal that's on the body
  • the belt molding below the rear windows
  • the vents behind the rear windows
  • the sunroof (was making front floor wet)
As I recall some of these leaks were only apparent on the rear floor when I parked on angles/etc. It took a while to find them all. Fixing them was all pretty easy and you'll find guides on this site.

You may also have other leaks but I'd consider checking all of the above at least before putting carpet/etc. back in.
Wow glad to know we drive colanders! Hah! That is a great idea to wait until I have tracked all of the leaks before putting back the carpet etc. I need to look up the method for clearing the sun roof drains and hadn't thought about the rear hatch seal, so the hatch not the window? I have to park on a hill every night, nose uphill so I wonder how that will affect water flow, besides it obviously running toward the back of the truck, hmm.

so the hatch not the window?

Could be either. Mine was the hatch seal, it was damaged in a few places but would only leak in heavy rains as I recall. I assume it was damaged when stuff was carelessly loaded/unloaded from the back. Writing about this reminds me that I noticed a bit of water staining recently on the window seal itself. Not sure if it's from an old leak or a current one but reminds me to test and figure it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom