Riddle me this: Who puts a 17 year old vehicle in the shop for $3500 "worth" of repairs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

and yes I could have done most of this work myself.....but there are fish to be chased, trails to be ridden and hiked... pick one....

Someone who would rather pay to be done with it because a 100 Series Cruiser is like gold these days. I mean... I’m paying my guy right now because he’s a good tech and way better than me. A shop owners rig is usually the last to be worked on. I could do if myself but not as well and it needs boost...

Well, I installed a new brake booster assembly in a rusty '99 with 320k miles. The cash into the rig is worth it if the owner is willing to pay it.

Your list of repairs seems pretty elementary to me. But why do you need a new oil pressure gauge? Is the shop going to solder a new stepper motor to the cluster?

I get it. When you are on a time crunch, you gotta take what you can get. I can't imagine the labor for a timing belt on a longitudinal engine being all that much but maybe parts, particularly OEM, can raise the price. The extra price is worth if it gives you peace of mind and will certainly make the vehicle more marketable should you choose to part with it.

Not the same people who spend $10,000 making mods to a 20+-year-old vehicle. Oh no.

I just dropped two diff locks into a 19 year old vehicle with 310k miles. Rear bumper upgrade and suspension upgrade coming next probably. Who cares when I plan to keep it another 5-10 years.

All TB/WP services are NOT the same. A full, comprehensive job is well worth it in the long run. I just posted a parts list for this in another thread.

And, $3500 on our rigs every several years if you are paying someone else, is nothing. As others elude to, beats a car payment everytime. A new TLC is now what, $90,000?

I've got some 30 and 50 year old cars that I wrench on, and that money would be a drop in the bucket, just for parts.

Last edited:
Well, I installed a new brake booster assembly in a rusty '99 with 320k miles. The cash into the rig is worth it if the owner is willing to pay it.

Your list of repairs seems pretty elementary to me. But why do you need a new oil pressure gauge? Is the shop going to solder a new stepper motor to the cluster?
Oil pressure gauge has been going wonky for months. spikes when under power, drops when idling....no time to figure it out. Blessed to be stressed! :)

I get it. When you are on a time crunch, you gotta take what you can get. I can't imagine the labor for a timing belt on a longitudinal engine being all that much but maybe parts, particularly OEM, can raise the price. The extra price is worth if it gives you peace of mind and will certainly make the vehicle more marketable should you choose to part with it.

Yes the old girl will me more marketable in another 50,000 mi if i decide to part with her....

Bottom line: I know most of us here would self perform our own dental work with an ice skate...
But its cool to get others perspectives regarding repair work cost and the thought process regarding whether to go or no go!
@ Woody and Mods: move this to chat if not tech with my apologies....;)

That would be me......

Everyone (nearly) that comes in our shop.

A Cruiser is an investment and it’s also a tool. We make many live on and live on strong here in my shop.

Don’t feel bad, it will treat you well and chances are you won’t be out thousands if you sell it.

My only advice is don’t use cheap aftermarket parts, stick to OEM.

Cheers

Bottom line: I know most of us here would self perform our own dental work with an ice skate...
But its cool to get others perspectives regarding repair work cost and the thought process regarding whether to go or no go!
@ Woody and Mods: move this to chat if not tech with my apologies....;)
I can do almost anything required to keep my Cruiser running. I need to balance that with a 40+hour a week job, family and what I want to do. Do I want to spend Saturday in the garage? Or do I want to spend Saturday taking my Granddaughter fishing?

Before someone says it, in a couple of years she will be spending Saturday in the garage with me, she loves anything mechanical, just not quite ready to pack wheel bearings yet. Right now though......

I can do almost anything required to keep my Cruiser running. I need to balance that with a 40+hour a week job, family and what I want to do. Do I want to spend Saturday in the garage? Or do I want to spend Saturday taking my Granddaughter fishing?

Before someone says it, in a couple of years she will be spending Saturday in the garage with me, she loves anything mechanical, just not quite ready to pack wheel bearings yet. Right now though......

YEP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom